Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old April 17th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Default Soundcard going out

Has anyone ever had their sound card sputter some static, and then quit for a while until you rebooted your computer several times?
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Has anyone ever had their sound card sputter some static, and then quit for a while until you rebooted your computer several times?
Static and quit - yes. Nonstop static or steady non stopping tone - many more times yes. Solved by rebooting - yes. Needed to reboot several times - Not that I recall for sound card issues, but keep reading.

Sound cards are very complicated computing devices these days. Nobody is perfect. Some combination of hardware and software issues beyond my ability to describe or your ability to repeat could occur between the card, it's drivers and a combination of applications/games accessing them which causes a glitch. You may only need to close and reopen programs. You may need to log off and back on. A single reboot should clear the problem.

One reason multiple reboots may be needed is if some file got corrupted. Sometimes multiple reboots is needed before the system self corrects with last known good or other features.

I know of devices that have internal, self resettable circuits. Like a circuit breaker or fuse but it doesn't need you to turn it back on or replace it. As some signal is going out of tolerance you might get improper performance and then circuit trips. Perhaps the sound card itself has some internal self correcting feature that needed multiple reboots to reset.

Perhaps some corrupted memory or other feature that gets flushed when power is off was not cleared during the rapid reboots and one time you actually shut the computer off long enough to clear the problem.

Another reason is that the speaker connection on the back of the computer was coming loose and after a couple tries rebooting you got frustrated, beat on the computer, shook the computer just right and the connection was reestablished.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned unless it keeps happening.

Last edited by CosmicGamer; April 17th, 2015 at 11:57 AM..
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Baron

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+

In addition to everything CosmicGamer stated, which is dead on, I will add a few troubleshooting tips....

After checking that all cables and connections are good, ask yourself if you recently changed something on the computer such as added anything new that required drivers, updated drivers, or anything like that.

Also, either update or re-install the sound card drivers. If anything got corrupted or stepped on by something else this may fix it.

If none of that helps, and it is a dedicated sound card then try re-seating it in the computer. Or even use the integrated sound if your motherboard has it to see if that works.

And if the speakers are powered, you may want to check them as well. It is always possible that something is starting to fail in them.
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

My heat sink bracket broke again, so I had to replace it, and I stressed the motherboard when I wrongly tried to refit the bracket (turns out you need to seat the bracket, and THEN put the little white standoffs through the hold AFTER you seat the bracket). And when I fired it up again recently the computer booted, but I had mysteriously lost my sound.

The thing is the card was sputtering static in the previous months, and I think it quit on me a couple of times, but a reboot resuscitated it. But this last time it required several reboots, and it didn't always correct after rebooting.

I checked the connections between the card and the DVD drives, and pressed the card down into its socket, and voila it worked. But sputtered and quit again when I was gaming and also streaming a radio station.

It's working now, but my gut tells me it's going to give out again at some point.

Thanks for the replies
Old April 17th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

In retrospect it was dying before, and me stressing the MB only exacerbated the problem.

It was getting real bad between October of last year and February of this year. But, for some strange reason, I got Scishow streaming, and as I type this post, there's no static nor sputtering.
Old April 19th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Update; I also put in a fan card last year, and come to think of it, that's when the sound card started popping on the speakers. I'm guessing it's static discharge on the chips created by the magnetic field from the fans.