Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old July 20th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
Everyone's characters are starting to run low on Hope, and we don't seem to be able to regenerate it at the same rate we're using it up, so it incrementally goes down over the years...
That's an intended consequence.

As with CoC, eventually, your character WILL be mad. Unless he dies first.

I got some PC's up to 5 shadow - but they then went and got it back down.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 20th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

Quote:
But it's not the idea of wasting something that goes against the grain in the game, it's the idea of attitudes and behaviour. Only those who are or would be servants of the Shadow are the sorts of bods who'd loot a body. You wouldn't want to take arrows from a dead orc - they may be poisoned, which decent people don't use.

My group has started a T5 game to take a break from TOR for a little while. Everyone's characters are starting to run low on Hope, and we don't seem to be able to regenerate it at the same rate we're using it up, so it incrementally goes down over the years...
I kinda got tired of my players hoarding swords, maces, and armor. So I increased the percentage on what they found was used for evil by the now dead owner, or had evil designs on them, or were aligned. They used up a lot of 'detect magic' and 'detect alignment' spells after that.
Old July 29th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
That's an intended consequence.

As with CoC, eventually, your character WILL be mad. Unless he dies first.

I got some PC's up to 5 shadow - but they then went and got it back down.
Yeah, our original CoC campaign, after 10 years real-time, had no characters left that weren't mad, malformed, dead, or dead after becoming mad in the service of outer gods before redeeming themselves on a rising Ryleh...

The thing about TOR is that it's not a bright time. The characters don't know that the War of the Ring is coming, and given the Necromancer has been driven/left Dol Guldur then it wasn't until they'd explored the darkened forest down south, and with the return of a Nazgul to the place, that things were going to get darker.

PLUS they thought they'd managed to deal with the worst of things after battling The Hanged Man over a series of scenarios. Gah! What's one of the first rules of FRG's: Don't Make Deals With Dragons!
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Orr Citizen

Quote:
The thing about TOR is that it's not a bright time.

That's an important point and one that some people unconsciously overlook. The War of the Ring is coming, darkness is growing, nothing the players do in TOR is going to change that. They cannot hold back the tide, let alone reverse it. As other posters have noted, TOR is a lot like CoC.

What they can do is make things somewhat less dark in relatively small regions. They're engaged in a triage of sorts. At best their efforts will stop the growth of the darkness. Most of the time their efforts will only slow that same growth. Their efforts will never reverse that growth or remove the darkness altogether. They're going to "win" minor battles on the edge of great events, but those seemingly minor achievements are going make the lives of the people around them a little less awful.

It's a melancholy game at its heart, but a very good one.

The "Darknening of Mirkwood" campaign supplement really made me notice this aspect of the game. There are a nicely varied series of adventures all with several results ranging from complete success to abject failure. How earlier adventures turn out effect just how tough the later adventures will be. Any result less than perfection - and nobody is perfect - will mean things get a little darker and a little tougher in the next round. Every action and choice has consequences later, sometimes much later, in the campaign and few of those consequences make things easier for the players.
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Having gotten the Rivendell book....
Rivendell itself is only about 15 pages.
High Elves are another half-dozen.
The region is about 30 pages.
Magic items are about 20 pages.

The Eye of Sauron rules are a way to judge when you should thump the players with "The Enemy tries to kill you" encounters.

The magic item rules are SWEET. It provides a randomization for finding if you want to use it, and a set of relatively balanced enchantment qualities for when you want to build Famous items. The magic is mostly subtle...

My players are dealing with a cursed blade, "Breaker of Teeth"... it's Elf-slaying, Undead Slaying, and Illuminates when either High-Elves or undead are near. It also "reveals them to the Enemy" and "Brings out the worst in its bearer"...
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 30th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

MarcPolo Citizen
Default Rivendell pre Lord of the Rings?

The cover art for One Ring's Rivendell shows what looks to be the "last homey house," rather than the Elvish town shown in the Hobbit movie. That larger "town" resembles Rivendell from the Fellowship of the Ring movie too.

Does the Rivendell supplement present the more modest settlement as shown on its cover? Any discussion of the differences in the two presentations?

Without checking the Hobbit book, my recollection is a less extensive "villa" is closer to JRRT's version that is Jackson's.
Old July 30th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcPolo View Post
The cover art for One Ring's Rivendell shows what looks to be the "last homey house," rather than the Elvish town shown in the Hobbit movie. That larger "town" resembles Rivendell from the Fellowship of the Ring movie too.

Does the Rivendell supplement present the more modest settlement as shown on its cover? Any discussion of the differences in the two presentations?

Without checking the Hobbit book, my recollection is a less extensive "villa" is closer to JRRT's version that is Jackson's.
The maps show incredibly extensive halls. It's a huge villa. 50+ rooms across 4 floors in the main building. A huge dungeon. Several outbuildings.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The maps show incredibly extensive halls. It's a huge villa. 50+ rooms across 4 floors in the main building. A huge dungeon. Several outbuildings.
Is it all above ground, or is some if it the more traditional sort of subterranean Elven halls?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Is it all above ground, or is some if it the more traditional sort of subterranean Elven halls?
both. 4 stories above ground, and then a subterranean complex.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene