Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old May 15th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Default The One Ring (by Cubicle 7)

My current game is playing The One Ring.

It's set on Tolkien's Middle Earth, in and around the Mirkwood, in the years between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Mechanics overview
The system uses d12's and d6's. A normal roll is 1d12 and between 1d6 and 6d6, 1d6 per skill level. Attributes don't normally affect skill rolls.

Skills are rated from 0 (unskilled) to 6. There are 18 moderately broad "common skills" and about 18 specific weapon skills. 4 common and 1 weapon skill will be "favored."

There are 3 attributes, with 2 scores each: Body, Heart, Wits, all with basic and favored scores.

Characters will have 5 traits. These are used to earn advancement points, and to auto—succeed at common skills.

There are two expendables: Endurance and Hope. Endurance is actually hit points, but when you run out, you're merely KO'd. And it recovers pretty quick. Hope is used to power special abilities, and to use attributes.

So, when a task is rolled, it's rolled versus a target number between 8 and 30, normally in the 10-20 range, and it's roll high. the d12 has special meanings for 11 and 12; 11 is "Sauron" and 12 is "Gandalf". A gandalf is always a success, no matter the TN. A Sauron counts 0, and if it's a task, converts a failure to a fumble; on a test, it may have effects even on a success. Anyway, total the d12 (counting 11 as 0) and the d6's, and see if you beat the TN. If not, you may spend hope to add your attribute - if the skill isn't favored, add the base, and if the skill is favored, add the favored value. As long as the roll, plus attribute if hope was spent, equals or exceeds the TN, it's a success. Quality of success is based upon how many d6's rolled a 6.

Hope is slow to recover - 1 or 2 points per adventure. So attributes are only added when it's important, and if they won't make a success, don't bother.

The game plays in alternating Adventure and Fellowship phases... play an adventure, play a fellowship phase. Advancement happens in the fellowship phase, as do "undertakings" - which can cover a bunch of nifty stuff. The adventure phase is playing out an adventure. This is not dissimilar to how Pendragon works... but... Not every adventure is the sole activity for a year. In fact, it should be 2-3 adventures in a year, one of which should be moderately long. Only fellowship phase per year is a "winter phase" - and that one has some additional stuff of importance happen - if you don't go home for the winter, you have to pay treasure to maintain your status and standard of living.

This is another game with a limited equipment list - only weapons and armor, really. Everything else is pretty much either subsumed into "travelling gear" or is left to the GM.

Combat is asymmetric, and pretty abstracted. Players pick stances for their character, determining their TN to hit and to be hit. Bad guys don't have stances. Stance also determines available actions in combat. Any hit does endurance damage. Good hits may do a wound. Armor only protects against wounds, not endurance loss, and then, not always. (Protection is a test - fail it, you're wounded. TN is by weapon. Trolls are hard to stop the wounds from, and do massive End damage, too.)

There's a social resolution system, too - at it's basic version, a limit on failed social interaction tasks - fail X times, can't try any more social interaction there. X is set by a number of factors. In the advanced version, from one of the supplements, if you have a major goal, it takes a number of successes to pull it off... but you have to succeed or else.

You can make tasks easier but either require more people or more time (or both) - but if any one of the easier rolls fails, so does the whole thing.

Shadow: When you do bad things, you gain shadow. When bad things are present being bad, you can gain shadow. When you have more shadow than hope, you can go mad. When you go mad, you gain disads.

Encumbrance: When your Endurance drops below your Encumbrance, the 1-2-3 on your d6's become 0's.

Experience: there's two kinds of points - Advancement, earned by use of common skills, and used to raise common skills, and Experience, used to raise Weapon Skills, earn new special abilities, and enhance some of the ones you've already got (spell use and companion animals).

Things that would make good Traveller House Rules
The whole social interaction model is pretty slick. It can be ported in pretty easily. Figure out how many failures before the locals tune you out, and how many successes are needed to obtain the goal, and let them at it.

The "Easier but requires multiple successes without failures" is also a potential import.

Tolkien Done Right
There is a huge lot of magic in setting. Most of it VERY minor, but very present. And this game does that. Magic items are very common - but are part of the character, not something the character buys. They can grow with the character, much like Sting does. If you lose them, you'll get them back, or get something similar back. Elven and Dwarven spells are few - a total of 3 each in the core book - and both subtle and potentially VERY powerful.

And you don't loot. Looting the bodies gains you INSTANT shadow. Yep, looting the dead is punished. Sometimes, it's worth it, but it's also driving you closer to the edge.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

I ran The One Ring campaign that lasted about six months a little over a year ago, and I have to say for me it really, REALLY captured the flavor of Middle Earth.

The combat system is quick, yet provides plenty of flavor. I liked that fact that I could run a "four against hundreds" combat scene and have it done in, oh, about an hour. In most other games I play that would have been an all-session affair.

The thing I was most worried about, the funky dice mechanic with the Gandalf and the Eye, turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

And the overland travel portion of the game is brilliant.

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Got the second ed PDF this morning. Read much of it at work.

the changes are mostly organizational - mostly, but not entirely.

Several sections reworded and reorganized.

They've changed the travel hazard event system (and it still says that events happen on any sauron on a travel roll, even if you didn't fail the roll).

Still pretty. (The book itself isn't released, only the PDF.)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 25th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Skills are rated from 0 (unskilled) to 6. There are 18 moderately broad "common skills" and about 18 specific weapon skills. 4 common and 1 weapon skill will be "favored."

Shadow: When you do bad things, you gain shadow. When bad things are present being bad, you can gain shadow. When you have more shadow than hope, you can go mad. When you go mad, you gain disads.

And you don't loot. Looting the bodies gains you INSTANT shadow. Yep, looting the dead is punished. Sometimes, it's worth it, but it's also driving you closer to the edge.
Those are big positives. Simple skill rating. And no looting bodies.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Space Hamster Citizen

Quote:
Got the second ed PDF this morning. Read much of it at work.

the changes are mostly organizational - mostly, but not entirely.

Several sections reworded and reorganized.

They've changed the travel hazard event system (and it still says that events happen on any sauron on a travel roll, even if you didn't fail the roll).

Still pretty. (The book itself isn't released, only the PDF.)
I had seen the spread on ENWorld this morning and the pages did look very nice. I like it when the pages are made to look attractive. This is not meant as a slam on Mongoose Traveller as they are capturing the CT style, and I am glad they are doing this. Mongoose did a great job on Babylon 5.

Quote:
Oh, I see how it is. Steal a precious item from some little intelligent being, leading it around the world, tormenting it with it just out of its grasp. It was missing Precious and feeling great sorrow from its loss. It was probably a Carnivore to boot! This is good!?!?! While grabbing unneeded goods off a corps is somehow bad?

This is easily solved with a house rule. To not loot the bodies gains you INSTANT shadow. Now if they fall back due to superior numbers, but hunt the enemy down until they recover the lost loot, only limited shadow.

Internet Context Note: I am being humorous. Don’t take the loot comment serious.
- Captain Jeelg
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Bilbo gains a LOT of shadow hanging with the dwarves...
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:34 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
How appalingly wasteful. It's a sin against society to leave useful stuff to rust and rot.

Hans
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
How appalingly wasteful. It's a sin against society to leave useful stuff to rust and rot.

Hans
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post

Hans
I see you've started down the shadow path...

Interestingly enough, shadow can be eliminated... but it takes quite a bit to cost one their character.

What we don't see in Tolkien is looting of the dead, and unlike D&D, there's a mechanism to punish doing so. Still, in a pinch, characters can and will loot. Looting servants of the enemy is (in 2E) somewhat less risky.

You get the same penalty for any theft, so...
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Gallery : 0
JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

I would think the no looting would prevent getting better gear in most instances. I haven't run a game where looting of the bad guys caused problems, unless the item was cursed.