Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old March 14th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen
Default Alternate player combat rules for PbP or PBeM Games

I'm looking for a good set of combat rules for play by post or play by email games. Something that would be compatible with Mongoose Traveller.

For Mongoose player combat things like initiative, hasten, reactions, delay and other combat details can be problematic requiring players and npcs to post in a specific order and in many cases you need multiple players or GM input to determine something such as if someone is dodging or interrupting.

I think whats needed is method where all the players post in any sequence for the round and then the GM posts for all the npc/opponents and simultaneously summarizes results.

Wondering what others have come up.

Please make it clear if you are posting ideas or actual rules used in PbP or PBeM.

Thanks

Last edited by CosmicGamer; March 14th, 2013 at 05:20 PM..
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM

Gallery : 0
Dragoner Citizen-

CT worked best in my experience. However, with mongoose I encourage players to roll all their dice for the round in one post while declaring all their actions; in as much as in combat it is simultaneous.
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

have players state their actions. you roll the dice or utilize whatever other system you have chosen, then post not the die roll results but the results of their actions. keep it narrative.
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Welcome O searchers for the Grail.

I've been looking for a set of workable PbP rules for decades, trying systems from all genres (as you've witnessed, CG). I've found nothing that works.

As Dragoner says, LBB1 works as well as anything.
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
Barlycorn Citizen

I plan on starting a PbP game (Mongoose) on a site I have been playing on for over five years. Although I haven't played PbP Traveller for more than a few posts (and then the game died when the GM stopped posting) I don't really foresee a problem.

I ran a DnD 3.5 game for four years and didn't have a problem adapting to PbP gaming. I am also currently a player in a Pathfinder game that is action heavy.

As long as you go into it with the right attitude (patient, mostly) you should be fine.