Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old November 26th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Shadowfax Citizen
Talking Alleged Zhodani atrocities

I found these news flashes concerning the alleged Zhodani atrocities on Ruby and Emerald and I just wanted to say that this is Imperial propaganda. The Zhodani are too nice to commit atrocities. It is just not our . . . ahem, their style. So, now, is there anyone of you out there who can tell me more about these alleged events? Don't be afraid to speak up. There are no wrong answers. Everyone is welcome.

Rhylanor/Rhylanor (0306-A434934-F) Date: 039-1110

The public relations office of the Imperial Navy refused to deny or to
confirm rumors of Zhodani atrocities against the citizens of Ruby and
Emerald during the recent occupation of those worlds. [JTAS #20]

Rhylanor/Rhylanor (0306-A434934-F) Date: 160-1110

Rumors persist of Zhodani atrocities against citizens of Ruby and Emerald
during the recent occupation of those worlds. No first hand accounts of the
occupation have been made available, as access to these worlds (indeed, to
all worlds occupied during the recent hostilities) is restricted. [JTAS
#21]
Old November 27th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Yes. They are propaganda. That does not make then false statements.

You may attribute these stories to different definitions of the word "atrocity" as held by the Imperials and the Zhodani. The real world is full of examples that I won't pursue here, and the Imperial/Zhodani relationship was purposely presented with that understanding.

Things were done. The Zhodani don't consider them atrocities. The Imperials do.

Remember, Imperials are all criminally insane as far as the Zhodani are concerned.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old November 27th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

I agree with Gipsy that the word "atrodicty" can have so many different meanings that it can be seen as such by one side and not by the other.

I guess for many Imperials, the idea of mass mind scanning, or to detain some people on the basis of their thoughts (and so, with unproven accusations, as most Imperial people will see) can be an atrocity, while it's not so for a Zhodani. I guess just the word "reeducate" sounds close to an atrocity for most of us, while it's very important in Zhodani law system...

OTOH, the Zhodani may see jailing people as without trying to cure their madness as an atrocity, as there is no such condemn in their law system, for if the convict is insane, it should be cured, and if that's not posible, then it should be eliminaed to protect the society, but just keeping him/her jailed is seen by them as too cruel (and useless) a punishment.

And never forget that in combat operations, decisions (right or wrong) are taken that can be retrospectively seen as atrocities, mostly by people that has never been in such operations and experienced the stress and need of quick decisions that combat needs.

In any case, I guess for the Zhodani true atrocities would be seen as insanity, and so avoided when posible, and condemned when they occur, and most unit commanders so accused went to reeducation at the end of the war.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; June 26th, 2015 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: typos
Old November 27th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
I guess for many Imperials, the idea of mass mind scanning, or to detain some people on the basis of their thoughts (and so, with unproven accusations, as most Imperial people will see) can be an atrocity, while it's not so for a Zhodani.
To a Zhodani mass mind scanning wouldn't be an atrocity, but it's AFAIK something they can't do. IIRC the best Zhodani telepaths can read the minds of individuals for a couple of minutes half a dozen to a dozen times a day.

But I agree that the likeliest source of atrocity rumors (if they're not just made up out of whole cloth) would be mindreading of prisoners.

Hans
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:33 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
To a Zhodani mass mind scanning wouldn't be an atrocity, but it's AFAIK something they can't do. IIRC the best Zhodani telepaths can read the minds of individuals for a couple of minutes half a dozen to a dozen times a day.

But I agree that the likeliest source of atrocity rumors (if they're not just made up out of whole cloth) would be mindreading of prisoners.

Hans
Well, perhaps "mass scaning" were a poor choice of words, though if several units from the Tavrchedle' (or Consular Guard) were sent as ocupation forces, enough of it would be to be seen as such.

And most those worlds being fairly low TL (5 for most of them), any such intrusion would be seen very negatively. I guess in other planets with more restrictive laws (where privacy is less valued) the effect would have been lower (even if the use of psionics is equaly abohorred).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; June 26th, 2015 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: typos
Old November 27th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Alleged = no real proof

Atrocity = mind scans and personality alteration
Old November 27th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
To a Zhodani mass mind scanning wouldn't be an atrocity, but it's AFAIK something they can't do.
Telempathy can be done on multiple targets at the same time, depending on stages of success, per TNE.
Old November 27th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 34
BeRKA Citizen

The impies are liars. It's just propaganda.

Long live the brave freedom-fighters of Ine Givar!
Old November 27th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRKA View Post
The impies are liars. It's just propaganda.
Now that's an attitude that's going to create great confidence in anything you say.

Any time I hear someone declare that his side is entirely free of rotten apples, I know that anything he says is pure applesauce.

Hans
Old November 27th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool *beep-flash-boom*

Not sure how folks see T5 as a source of canon, but it mentions in one of the examples (for Life Insurance) a Marine whose Prime was KIA on Jewell during the evacuation of the Starport. Seems the Zhodani (who I actually rather like in some ways) dropped a nuke on the Starport and that is how our protagonist died.

So, considering the Imperium's stance on the use of nukes in warfare perhaps that is the "atrocity" that is mentioned?
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; November 27th, 2014 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Removed the redundancy.