Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old July 8th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 1
tvandeloo Citizen
Default Named Luminaries

Is there a list or other resource for "named" luminaries in the official Traveller universe? I'm thinking not only of Emperors (that's easy to find) but also looking for notable military leaders, scientists, entertainers, merchants, rogues, etc. I want to develop a more exhaustive list of awards and decorations that can be earned in various careers and think that the MCUF / MCG / SEH triad could use some fleshing out. Or, to put it another way, who is the "Nobel" of Imperial science?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If someone has already worked up a more creative list of awards and decorations, I'd be happy to work with that instead.
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

On the decorations, IMTU, these are Imperial, and are used because they are well-known and standardized. The chrome comes from local decorations, from the sector, subsector, and even planetary level.

They have the same value as foreign decorations do for the US military: something fruity that adds color, but does not necessarily mean anything to anyone. Now the SM who earned it knows what they did (or didn't do) to earn it, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone else, except maybe from hte awarding state.

I have never done any, let alone a comprehensive, list. A generator might be more in order.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
On the decorations, IMTU, these are Imperial, and are used because they are well-known and standardized. The chrome comes from local decorations, from the sector, subsector, and even planetary level.

They have the same value as foreign decorations do for the US military: something fruity that adds color, but does not necessarily mean anything to anyone. Now the SM who earned it knows what they did (or didn't do) to earn it, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone else, except maybe from hte awarding state.

I have never done any, let alone a comprehensive, list. A generator might be more in order.
Several such foreign awards serve as "fraud detectors"... for example, an army officer with the Vietnam ribbon but without the ARVN one probably didn't serve in country.

Likewise, certain others are readily recognized and meaningful to many: the French Croix d'Guerre, the US Legion of Merit, Papal Knighthoods...

In canon, we have at least two dozen orders of knighthood, and a ozen named (7 domains, plus O. Emperor's Guard, O. Starship & Crown, O. Hlyuea, Gvadakoung, H. O. of the Arrow).

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen
Small Starburst Orders of Knighthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
In canon, we have at least two dozen orders of knighthood, and a dozen named (7 domains, plus O. Emperor's Guard, O. Starship & Crown, O. Hlyuea, Gvadakoung, H. O. of the Arrow).
Actually according to MT:IE, p.14 (Nobles section), which was lifted directly from CT Library Data sources, there are "several dozen" orders of Knighthood - "several" implies to me at least 3, so I would say at least three dozen Orders of Knighthood. (Which gives individual GMs plenty of leeway to create their own orders for their campaigns).

If one is willing to consider some references outside of CT, the ones I have come across (including sources from CT/MT, DGP, GT, MgT, T4, and T5-related publications):

Quote:
ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD
Imperial Orders
(Order of the White Star - Psionic - disbanded in 800)
(Order of the Imperial Sunburst - disbanded in Milieu:0)

Order of the Emperor's Household
Order of the Cross of Arlea

Order of the Iridium Throne

Order of Starship & Crown (formerly Order of the Imperial Sunburst)
Honorable Order of the Emperor's Guard
Order of the Third Imperium ("Knights Imperial" ?? )
Honorable Order of the Arrow

Order of Hluyea
Order of Gvadakoung
Order of Muan Gwi

Domain Orders
Ancient & Preeminent Order of Sylea
Ancient Order of Vland (Kiduunuuzzi Bilanidin)
Royal Order of Antares
Order of Gateway
Order of Ilelish
Order of Sol (formerly Order of Terra)
Order of Deneb
Also, under T5, Dukes may appoint "Knights Retainer" (effectively Bachelor Knights with no associated Order) at their own discretion, who only have recognition within the given Duke's sphere of influence (and anyone else who chooses to recognize them).

Quote:
Subsector/Sector:
Knights Retainer - non-Imperial (regional) Orders of Subsector/Sector Dukes
GT:Nobles, p.86 also makes passing reference to minor Imperial Orders of Knighthood that have been established for inhabitants of many of the major worlds of the Imperium (referred to as "Planetary Orders of Knighthood") that are administered by the Archdukes (or perhaps Subsector/Sector Dukes), who appoint a Grand Master to oversee the Order's functions (as opposed to the Imperial and Domain Orders, for which the Grand Master is normally the Emperor or Archduke personally).

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789C–A
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry

Last edited by whulorigan; July 9th, 2015 at 09:35 AM..
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:28 AM

tvandeloo Citizen

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. If anyone has any non-Imperial information to add, I'd appreciate that too.

As an example, I'm thinking of awarding decorations to Darrian Academics with names like, "Council Science Medal", "Derir Lipit Prize", and "Taledh Medal" - analogous to the Nobel Prize or Field's Medal in our world. Of course, the Darrians also have "Confederation Medal, nth Class" for their military service members.

Every little bit helps!
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
GT:Nobles, p.86 also makes passing reference to minor Imperial Orders of Knighthood that have been established for inhabitants of many of the major worlds of the Imperium (referred to as "Planetary Orders of Knighthood") that are administered by the Archdukes (or perhaps Subsector/Sector Dukes), who appoint a Grand Master to oversee the Order's functions (as opposed to the Imperial and Domain Orders, for which the Grand Master is normally the Emperor or Archduke personally).
And though not mentioned anywhere, many member worlds will have their own (parochial) orders of knighthood and their own medals and similar schemes for distinguishing one citizen above others. (In one Jack Vance book a world has an unspecified but large number of clubs, membership of which conveys a specific social rank above and below members of other clubs).

Hans
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:22 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Several such foreign awards serve as "fraud detectors"... for example, an army officer with the Vietnam ribbon but without the ARVN one probably didn't serve in country.
Interesting use of the term "fraud detectors."

It would appear from your definition that I am a "fraudulent officer".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Interesting use of the term "fraud detectors."

It would appear from your definition that I am a "fraudulent officer".
Most everone who was in country got the ARVN award. Most, but not all. Hell, my dad, a medical service corps officer, got it. With it's funny palm-tree-branch device and frame. (ARVN Gallantry Cross with Palm Leaf unit citation). According to everyithing I've seen, if you were in a unit in Vietnam, from 1970 onward, you're supposed to have one. Prior to that, maybe, maybe not.

It's proof of service in country in that period - which the vietnam service ribbon isn't. So, only fraudulent if claiming to have been in Vietnam in that period.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:02 PM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
Actually according to MT:IE, p.14 (Nobles section), which was lifted directly from CT Library Data sources, there are "several dozen" orders of Knighthood - "several" implies to me at least 3, so I would say at least three dozen Orders of Knighthood. (Which gives individual GMs plenty of leeway to create their own orders for their campaigns).

If one is willing to consider some references outside of CT, the ones I have come across (including sources from CT/MT, DGP, GT, MgT, T4, and T5-related publications):

Also, under T5, Dukes may appoint "Knights Retainer" (effectively Bachelor Knights with no associated Order) at their own discretion, who only have recognition within the given Duke's sphere of influence (and anyone else who chooses to recognize them).

I don't knmow to which pont challenge is considered canon, but in issue 47 it also talked about another order; the Knights of the Blue Feather

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old July 12th, 2015, 05:24 PM

tvandeloo Citizen
Default Here's what I came up with ...

I developed a table of decorations for combat service, combat command, injury, level 1 (e.g. MCG), level 2 (e.g. MCUF) and level 3 (e.g SEH) decorations by career and race. It's posted in the spreadsheet library if anyone's interested.