Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Khan Trav Citizen
Default Milspec Traveller Wiki

I have been playing CT since around 1979 and I love it. I have been running a pbem game for years. I recently began trying to place information on the wiki and find I am not alone there. I am not as adept at organizing new entries and I am concerned I may do more harm than good.

I would like to learn more about how to format pages and entries. I also try to keep most of my entries if not technically canon at least fitting within the Traveller universe. I get a lot of good feedback from Maksim-Smelchak and I think he should be commended for his excellent work.

I try to keep my entries within what I think of as milspec for Traveller. I would make an entry describing a plant or animal for a particular world but I would not describe starships travelling J-10 or a telephone which could call a person or send a message in a way which would break the rules of FTL communication.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 07:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Trav View Post
I have been playing CT since around 1979 and I love it. I have been running a pbem game for years. I recently began trying to place information on the wiki and find I am not alone there. I am not as adept at organizing new entries and I am concerned I may do more harm than good.
Welcome to the Traveller Wiki. The brilliance of a wiki is you shouldn't worry about doing harm.

Quote:
I would like to learn more about how to format pages and entries. I also try to keep most of my entries if not technically canon at least fitting within the Traveller universe. I get a lot of good feedback from Maksim-Smelchak and I think he should be commended for his excellent work.
I would suggest starting with the Manual of Style. There are several linked pages which give a suggested outline for the various types of articles. And if you have specific questions, I or Maksim will be more than happy to help and provide direction.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Been thinking about classifications and, really, I think color banners aren't right.

The classification codes are alright, if a tad understated.

There's another issue: sometimes, the subject material isn't important enough to matter whether or not such-and-such a ruleset mentioned it.

So this has two dimensions, but I would suggest it's a sparse matrix.
Tools Link
Old October 26th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Hi Rob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
Been thinking about classifications and, really, I think color banners aren't right.
Sounds reasonable. When you can better put your finger on what you don't like about it, please share your concrete recommendations. Your input is always valued.

Quote:
The classification codes are alright, if a tad understated.
*** Are you talking about the TC's or something else? UWPs? ***

Quote:
There's another issue: sometimes, the subject material isn't important enough to matter whether or not such-and-such a ruleset mentioned it.
We're working on improving the citations, but it's slow, lengthy, and thankless work. Please thank Thomas Jones-Low, who has busted his hump to improve them, make better citation templates available, and generally improved the whole smackeroo. I use that word in the technical sense, of course.

Quote:
So this has two dimensions, but I would suggest it's a sparse matrix.
*** Ok. Would you please cite the page that you are thinking of? ***

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old October 26th, 2017, 08:32 PM

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Thanks, Khan!

Quote:
I like your entries. The wiki is specifically cleared for fan-created entries regardless of canon by permission of Marc Miller of FFE. We correct the ones that try to overlay the OTU (canon Trav universe), but otherwise live and let live.

Marc, in his wisdom, sees the wiki as a resource for fans. It just happens to be useful to future authors as well, among others...

Quote:
I would like to learn more about how to format pages and entries. I also try to keep most of my entries if not technically canon at least fitting within the Traveller universe.
Thomas gave you great advice. You can contact me anytime as well.

Quote:
I get a lot of good feedback from Maksim-Smelchak and I think he should be commended for his excellent work.
Thanks, but it's a team effort and I couldn't do my part without the amazing support of Thomas, Adie Stewart, Ssteve, Wayne Whurlogan (sp?), and so many others. We sometimes disagree about matters, but in the end we're all contributing to a community effort. Thomas especially deserves praise for his many years of hard work and good leadership at the wiki.

Really appreciate the praise. Thanks!

Quote:
I try to keep my entries within what I think of as milspec for Traveller. I would make an entry describing a plant or animal for a particular world but I would not describe starships travelling J-10 or a telephone which could call a person or send a message in a way which would break the rules of FTL communication.
With so many different editions and settings, it's hard to create stock templates, but we've been working on developing them the past few years. I takes time to create them and then fine tune them to the subject matter.

I appreciate your positive communication. Thanks.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old October 26th, 2017, 08:36 PM

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Aramis,

Thank you for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The ones I've met? Yep.
I've seen three trends in the people I've seen talking about it online. Most seem to be either (A) using one of the few MGT sectors, or (B) generating a subsector or two, essentially "on a random border", but linking to what they see of canon in their MGT books, or (C) going whole hog old school, and ignoring canon altogether. A very small fraction are (D) Using T5 without other canon references, except maybe Travellermap.

(C) is the most vocal, but they also tend to be playing Original D&D (little brown or white books), Tunnels and Trolls, Far Trek or Where No Man Has Gone Before (a pair of OSR type games released under Paramount's old Fan Use permissions), &/or Starships & Spacemen (either edition).

(B) seems, from plays reported on RPGG, various Facebook and G+ boards, and AP threads on 4chan, 7chan, and The RPG Site, to be the most common, and usually using MGT rules.

(A) tends to be a little more odd - a lot of "I sold all my books, and saw the new edition, and dived in." Some, however, are new to the game, and want to use the setting because it saves them work.

From what I've seen, few would match up with what's in Agent, but those that would are usually buying older editions on CD, and making leaps.

A few newbs have started with T5. I recall one guy got T5 hoping for it to be his first RPG to run... he'd been a player a few times in D&D, I think... He did manage to grasp much of it. (More than me, actually. T5 makes my head spin at times.)

I'm not seeing many who are doing ATUs who aren't grogs, but there are a couple. I've never seen an AP for MGT Judge Dredd Traveller edition. (For my own part, I've managed to generate a few characters. The skill levels are insanely high. Insanely.)
We're working on generating a first productive release of T5 products.

Don's Timeline has been massively worked upon and I hope to see it released in the near future as well. I'm currently checking its citations, a multi-month piece of work, covering several thousand entries. His family has cleared it for release when it's ready. RIP, Don.

I appreciate your hard work with the computer support end and at CotI.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.