Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 3rd, 2002, 10:29 PM
solar_shipping solar_shipping is offline
Citizen: SOC-9
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Greystanes, NSW, AUS
Posts: 42
Gallery : 0
solar_shipping Citizen
Post

Starting new flame war:

Apart from the abomination that is virus, one of the problems I hope Martin addresses in the TNE2 work is that the Third Imperium is not bitched slapped as it was in TNE.

Given that the collapse is a mirror of both Asmov's foundation and the Fall of Rome, I would liek the tome of the successor states of the Third Imperium be more posative. Maybe like the "Rome was great, but we can be greater".

As well, will the regency be fixed? I allways felt cheated that instead of a light of fading glory of an empire only remembered, like Bizantium or Arthurian England, the regency became a democracy that could not possably last long in an area of slow communication.

Thanks and regards
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 4th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Vargas's Avatar
Vargas Vargas is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,510
Gallery : 0
Vargas Citizen
Post

The disbelief I had the hardest time suspending involved the Virus itself and its origin with Imperial IFF technology. However, I suspect that TNE would be hard to pull off without Virus.

PS: I had difficulties with the whole Hard Times concept as well.

But hey, it could just be me. . .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 4th, 2002, 11:31 AM
kafka47's Avatar
kafka47 kafka47 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: For the most part : Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,379
Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vargas:
The disbelief I had the hardest time suspending involved the Virus itself and its origin with Imperial IFF technology. However, I suspect that TNE would be hard to pull off without Virus.

PS: I had difficulties with the whole Hard Times concept as well.

But hey, it could just be me. . .
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This time it is not just you... I think most people have a hard time with the virus and the rapid decent into Hard Times. But, there are a historical precedents such as the collapse of the Roman Empire. When the barbarians were in Rome. Nobody in the provinces could tell the difference until that letter did not come, more compromises had to wrought for paying for security of borders and slowly a deurbanization of society took place as the unified market disappeared (but this process was never complete nor total). However, with each barbarian king claiming the Roman heritage the further it sank into stagnation.

Perhaps, this was the precedent that GDW had for the Hard Times. The virus, I suspect, was a quickening of the process. A highly unpopular plot device and I am glad that MJD has said that he will use it sparingly. But, I am not sure that the resurection of any Imperium is such a good idea. Which is why I am intrigued by the idea of the vacant throne. Conversely, it harkens that the fall of the Imperium should not be likened to the Fall of Rome but rather the Wars of the Roses. Now, this is interesting...

Hopefully, all this is helping shape a vision of TNE Mk 3.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 7th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Antony Antony is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mount Barker
Posts: 658
Gallery : 4
Antony Citizen
Post

I don't know what all the fuss about virus was about. Yes it destroyed civilisation as everyone knew it, and yes it is unbelievable, but truth is stranger than fiction, so the stranger the story the more likely it is to be true. (Or something like that)

In any case by 1201 given that most virus was suicidal most is extinct, the surviving pocket empires have developed defences against the "eggs". The remaining virus should be considered as occassional villains and were not meant to be continually present but lurking in the background.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 8th, 2002, 04:29 AM
aramis's Avatar
aramis aramis is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Anchorage, AK, USofA
Posts: 29,459
Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antony:
I don't know what all the fuss about virus was about. Yes it destroyed civilisation as everyone knew it, and yes it is unbelievable, but truth is stranger than fiction, so the stranger the story the more likely it is to be true. (Or something like that)

In any case by 1201 given that most virus was suicidal most is extinct, the surviving pocket empires have developed defences against the "eggs". The remaining virus should be considered as occassional villains and were not meant to be continually present but lurking in the background.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

unless you read the starship encouter tables. In which case, virus was clearly meant to be a continuing threat, about to break out at the slightest opportunity.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 8th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Antony Antony is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mount Barker
Posts: 658
Gallery : 4
Antony Citizen
Cool

I was aware of the starship encounter tables, but would never use them. Based on these tables virus would certainly be a continuing threat. But as I don't like random encounter tables in any game system I did not use them. They have virtually no relation to the systems in anycase. For example the +2 modifier for Pocket Empire settings once an encounter has been determined to have happened. The chances of a vampire ship at Aubaine are quite good. Then have a look at the modifier for naval missions for pocket empires (+8) giving a very high chance of a vampire. Makes you wonder where the Ref Coalition navy is.

I think random encounter charts if used need to be made more specific to the system involved.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 9th, 2002, 11:55 PM
aramis's Avatar
aramis aramis is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Anchorage, AK, USofA
Posts: 29,459
Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antony:
I was aware of the starship encounter tables, but would never use them. Based on these tables virus would certainly be a continuing threat. But as I don't like random encounter tables in any game system I did not use them. They have virtually no relation to the systems in anycase. For example the +2 modifier for Pocket Empire settings once an encounter has been determined to have happened. The chances of a vampire ship at Aubaine are quite good. Then have a look at the modifier for naval missions for pocket empires (+8) giving a very high chance of a vampire. Makes you wonder where the Ref Coalition navy is.

I think random encounter charts if used need to be made more specific to the system involved.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rules are as canonical as fill text, IMO. They certainly have more direct impact.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 14th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Elliot Elliot is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,062
Gallery : 0
Elliot Citizen
Post

Kafka suggests that TNE should look more like the Wars of the Roses than the Fall of the Roman Empire - what was the result of that? The emergence to power of a welsh pretender (Henry Tudor) (Welsh circa 1480s = bit like the Solomani - conquered but autonomous) to found one of history's greatest dynasties.

I like it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 16th, 2002, 08:07 PM
kafka47's Avatar
kafka47 kafka47 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: For the most part : Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,379
Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
Rules are as canonical as fill text, IMO. They certainly have more direct impact.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I agree with the tables as being cannon. They are also specific to the area in which such activity could be found. Devise new tables to put vampires further away from Chartered Settlements.

I just wonder wonder what drives/motivates the vampires in 1240s. Maybe they have found religion or believe they are a religion all to themselves.

Glad that you like the inspiration of the War of the Roses, Elliot. It just occured to me as I was thinking about all modern Western thought just keeps on going back to the Romans. But, surely there are other precedents to base rennaisance upon...

It will be interesting to see what MJD up his sleeve. He may just surprise us and use feudal Japan as his vision...

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.