Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old April 11th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
I think your first conclusin is more correct than your second: I've got 42 but don't know the question.
Tools Link
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
PBI Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by just robject:
So then, it sounds like you may have an improvement to suggest? Such as, Fleet level conglomeration rules. Fleet counters (which would have an ID number but probably no ratings, unless they were historical) would be interesting; I could simulate the Black War over Zarushagar easily.[/quote]

This is exam week, so let me think on this for a few days [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jeffr0 Citizen
"What will the final result of the project be?"

Let's say that any new games come out of this that have the depth and accessibility of Ogre. That would be (at the very least) a tactical victory for the 'project.'

Let's say that several games come out of this and any of them integrate well. That would be a decisive victory.

Let's say that the ultimate 'Frankenstein' monster game did in fact come out of the 'project.' Nobody would want to play it because it would be too huge and there would be several caveats pointing out how the model was not realistic in the following 37 areas-- BUT it could work in theory.... That would be a major victory.

If robject could come up with a playable Stategic Trade game, if I made progress on on my planetary production game, and if Robert Prior finishes his Traveller-Ogre game for JTAS... THEN I for one, would be happy.

Beyond that... if we had a one hour Strategic war game that integrated with a one hour Economic trade game... and that provided options for playing out some of the tactical level engagements... I would be even happier!
Old April 11th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Add to this my thought that tactical combat has been done already with Mayday. Is there a reason Mayday can't be run with conglomerate units and abstracted combat rules? The laws of 'physics' stay the same: conglomerate units travel at the rate of their slowest unit, but beyond that they'd move just like a single unit counter, right?

If so, then Mayday, Book 2 and/or RPSCS have got space combat covered.
Tools Link
Old April 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jeffr0 Citizen
Robject, have you seen Tom Bont's Trillion Credit Squadron in JTAS?

"Trillion Credit Wars is a spaceship miniatures combat system designed for the GURPS Traveller universe (other settings are possible, but that is left as an exercise for the reader). Most of all, it is designed for extremely fast play. Entire fleets are handled with the same ease and speed as single ships. There is no limit to the number of ships this system can handle.

"In order to get the speed needed, a great deal of detail was left out of the combat and the ship design systems. It should be understood that this game is not really designed for PC ships. It is a stand-alone game in its own right, with rules for one-on-one ship combats, squadron combat, fleet actions, and logistics."

http://jtas.sjgames.com/login/article.cgi?487

Robert Prior made some terrain counters for it:

http://jtas.sjgames.com/login/article.cgi?698

They also have a scenario the first battle of the IW (including stats and counters for the ships!):

http://jtas.sjgames.com/login/article.cgi?552

So... if you work from here, you have a streamlined version of Mayday for fleet combat, you have the classic Imperium for the strategic game, and you have an example of how to bridge the gap.
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

hcobb Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffr0:
Robject, have you seen Tom Bont's Trillion Credit [Wars] in JTAS?
Too many G3e-isms that have been fixed in G4e and don't apply to HG at all.

-HJC
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Adding a past-present-future vector movement system (Mayday/Battle Rider/Power Pojection) to High Guard, MT, or even FFW/IE counters is an easy enough task.

Using MT the conglomerate unit rules could be used as is, but the numbers become somewhat huge
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Unfortunately, Jeff, I don't have a subscription.

Sigg, that's basically my take, which is why I tried to use the Book 4 combat charts for conglomerate units: bonuses or penalties to apply when attacking something smaller or larger. Therefore ATT represents a scaled value, and I can keep it between 0 and, say, 12 or something.
Tools Link
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
You know, I forgot about the Mercenary combat system - I'll have to go and read up on it again
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Oh aye; beautifully elegant it is. A fire team can attack a brigade [img]smile.gif[/img]

My combat system is derived straight from Book 4. I had to play with the numbers some. I wanted to equate space combat elements with Book 4 infantry elements, but the separation between auxiliaries and ships with a spine wasn't great enough.
Tools Link