Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old May 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
Let's talk about the Survival throw in CT CharGen and alternate ways to handle it.

First off, I'm considering changing the definition of the Survival roll. In CT, it's taken literally. It means, "If you fail this roll, you fail to survive. You character is dead. Roll up another one."

This rule seems to be one of the first most CT GMs throw out or modify.

I'm looking to modify it.

And, the first thing I'll modify about it is its definition. I'm thinking that it should be used as a metaphor, meaning, "If you fail this roll, something has happened in your career so that you no longer 'survive' in it. Your character must be put into play at this point."

See, instead of using it as a roll to see if the character dies, I'm looking to use it as a roll that, if failed, induces mandatory closure to character generation. When a Survival throw is failed, it signals that the character cannot continue with CharGen and must muster out to begin play in the game.

That's not to say that I don't think failing a Survival throw if the character is in the military or other dangerous career also means the character was injured.

I want some method where it's easy (or at least a 50/50 shot) for characters in military careers to be injured. But, should it be automatic? Aren't there other reasons for discharge?

And, when the Surival throw is failed for civilian careers, it should typically mean the character was fired from his job or some other force lifestyle change. But, I'd also like a small change that the character was injured as well. Heck, maybe he was hit by a grav car.

And, if failing a Surival Throw means the character is injured, how is he injured? CT rules allow the character to fully heal. I've seen a House Rule I like where failing the Surival Throw means the character must throw on the Aging Table, possibly losing stat points.

Thoughts?
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
Let's talk about the Survival throw in CT CharGen and alternate ways to handle it.

First off, I'm considering changing the definition of the Survival roll. In CT, it's taken literally. It means, "If you fail this roll, you fail to survive. You character is dead. Roll up another one."

This rule seems to be one of the first most CT GMs throw out or modify.

I'm looking to modify it.

And, the first thing I'll modify about it is its definition. I'm thinking that it should be used as a metaphor, meaning, "If you fail this roll, something has happened in your career so that you no longer 'survive' in it. Your character must be put into play at this point."

See, instead of using it as a roll to see if the character dies, I'm looking to use it as a roll that, if failed, induces mandatory closure to character generation. When a Survival throw is failed, it signals that the character cannot continue with CharGen and must muster out to begin play in the game.

That's not to say that I don't think failing a Survival throw if the character is in the military or other dangerous career also means the character was injured.

I want some method where it's easy (or at least a 50/50 shot) for characters in military careers to be injured. But, should it be automatic? Aren't there other reasons for discharge?

And, when the Surival throw is failed for civilian careers, it should typically mean the character was fired from his job or some other force lifestyle change. But, I'd also like a small change that the character was injured as well. Heck, maybe he was hit by a grav car.

And, if failing a Surival Throw means the character is injured, how is he injured? CT rules allow the character to fully heal. I've seen a House Rule I like where failing the Surival Throw means the character must throw on the Aging Table, possibly losing stat points.

Thoughts?
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Supplement Four:
Nope. There has been an optional rule around this for a looooong time. I think only the very original runs didn't have it. And frankly most folks ignored it anyway.

-Optional Rule: If the referee or player so indicates prior to character generation, then failure of the survival roll can be converted to injury. The character is not dead, but instead is injured, and leaves the service (after recovery) having served only two years of the four year term. CT Book 1, page 10

Hunter
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Supplement Four:
Nope. There has been an optional rule around this for a looooong time. I think only the very original runs didn't have it. And frankly most folks ignored it anyway.

-Optional Rule: If the referee or player so indicates prior to character generation, then failure of the survival roll can be converted to injury. The character is not dead, but instead is injured, and leaves the service (after recovery) having served only two years of the four year term. CT Book 1, page 10

Hunter
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

FlightCommanderSolitude Citizen
Note that it reads, "...referee or player"!

I like the aging table idea though.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

FlightCommanderSolitude Citizen
Note that it reads, "...referee or player"!

I like the aging table idea though.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Yep, it's only the first printing of the rules I think that insisted a failed survival equal roll a new character. Each edition after at least included the official option of failed survival equal end career generation and begin adventuring.

My feelings on it...

Career generation lost something when the optional rule was adopted. We played for a good while with the hard fail equal death rule, and those were the most memorable characters for me, even the ones who died, or should have [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img] We also played that you played the character you rolled, until they died. We had a lot of marginal and downright sad UPP characters join the Scouts. Why? Because of the low survival rate and almost guaranteed reenlistment roll.

"Oh, that's some bad luck there Dan, nothing higher than 6 on the UPP and two 2s. So, Scouts again?" And a few short rolls later... "Aw, another Scout dies in service to the Empire. Roll a better UPP this time ok?"

It played equally well when we rolled great UPPs. You had to balance that small chance of failing the survival roll against the desire for one more term for skills, promotion, and muster benefits.

And of course there was always the curse of failing your enlistment roll even with a great UPP and getting drafted into that death sentence of a career, the dreaded Scout service, du du du dooom! So you'd have this great UPP and chicken out of the Scouts after one term, great UPP but not much in the way of skills or gear.

Ahh, fun times I tell ya, you youngsters and your wimpy survival of the scardiest rules Give me survival of the fittest any day [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img] That'll sort the brave from the cautious and make real heroes of the foolhardy who live [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Yep, it's only the first printing of the rules I think that insisted a failed survival equal roll a new character. Each edition after at least included the official option of failed survival equal end career generation and begin adventuring.

My feelings on it...

Career generation lost something when the optional rule was adopted. We played for a good while with the hard fail equal death rule, and those were the most memorable characters for me, even the ones who died, or should have [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img] We also played that you played the character you rolled, until they died. We had a lot of marginal and downright sad UPP characters join the Scouts. Why? Because of the low survival rate and almost guaranteed reenlistment roll.

"Oh, that's some bad luck there Dan, nothing higher than 6 on the UPP and two 2s. So, Scouts again?" And a few short rolls later... "Aw, another Scout dies in service to the Empire. Roll a better UPP this time ok?"

It played equally well when we rolled great UPPs. You had to balance that small chance of failing the survival roll against the desire for one more term for skills, promotion, and muster benefits.

And of course there was always the curse of failing your enlistment roll even with a great UPP and getting drafted into that death sentence of a career, the dreaded Scout service, du du du dooom! So you'd have this great UPP and chicken out of the Scouts after one term, great UPP but not much in the way of skills or gear.

Ahh, fun times I tell ya, you youngsters and your wimpy survival of the scardiest rules Give me survival of the fittest any day [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img] That'll sort the brave from the cautious and make real heroes of the foolhardy who live [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

redwalker Citizen
IMHO, if you can die in character generation, you should be allowed to code a dice-rolling program with preferences so as to allow mass generation of characters.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

redwalker Citizen
IMHO, if you can die in character generation, you should be allowed to code a dice-rolling program with preferences so as to allow mass generation of characters.