Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old June 15th, 2019, 10:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Mako Citizen
Default Anyone Using 15mm or Larger Ships and Minis for Games?

Just curious to see if any of you are using 15mm - 32mm minis for your Traveller encounter games and scenarios?

I suspect it would be a lot of fun to have actual scale characters, NPCs, creatures, and aliens to deal with, fight, flee from, combat, etc., etc., either on far-flung, planets in distant systems, or at your local spaceport, or starport too.

I think 15mm scale is best for games with lots of terrain and buildings, and where you want a bit of maneuvering room on the tabletop, or when you want to create, or purchase your own spacecraft.

I've purchased several "dropships" or shuttles for use with the 15mm, and larger scale minis. They make great scenic backdrops for the minis, and can be good for something to fight for, if needed. Of course, they're good for hauling cargo too, for more mundane pursuits.

25mm - 32mm scale figures are more impressive, but take up a lot more space, especially once you start adding in spacecraft, or a spaceport for them to move around in.

Thoughts, photos, descriptions of what you're doing with your games, when using minis in the Traveller, or other universes?
Old June 16th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

While not running traveller recently, I've switched to using mini-meeples because I can't find good 15mm's in a price range I can afford. Draw a face on, and they make facing checkable. White ones can be colored upon with markers....

Works great with D&D, L5R 5E, WFRP (any-but-3), etc...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 16th, 2019, 11:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Just curious to see if any of you are using 15mm - 32mm minis for your Traveller encounter games and scenarios?
YES! As a matter of fact I do! In 15mm in fact.

Quote:
I suspect it would be a lot of fun to have actual scale characters, NPCs, creatures, and aliens to deal with, fight, flee from, combat, etc., etc., either on far-flung, planets in distant systems, or at your local spaceport, or starport too.
Yes, yes, it is.

Quote:
I think 15mm scale is best for games with lots of terrain and buildings, and where you want a bit of maneuvering room on the tabletop, or when you want to create, or purchase your own spacecraft.
Actually 6mm would be best, but coming up with character figures in that scale is a pricey pain in the ass.

I must mention that I started a whole movement to bring back 15mm Science Fiction figures back 20+ years ago in a quest to have more for my Traveller games. With a bunch of help from other fans we have been pretty successful.
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
YES! Actually 6mm would be best, but coming up with character figures in that scale is a pricey pain in the ass
It used to be. A number of manufacturers are now making 6mm characters.

Shalom,
M.
Old June 17th, 2019, 04:52 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I'd prefer 10mm, cause it's close to Nscale and plenty of structures and vehicles for that.
Old June 18th, 2019, 12:49 AM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
I'd prefer 10mm, cause it's close to Nscale and plenty of structures and vehicles for that.
Where, besides Train stores?
Old June 18th, 2019, 01:40 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
Where, besides Train stores?
Well, "the internet". What's a "train store" any more nowadays.

Anyway, since N scale is dominated by trains, everything is basically TL 6-8.

You could certainly kit bash things, but probably not a lot of luck finding an Air Raft in N Scale.
Old June 18th, 2019, 04:52 PM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Well, "the internet". What's a "train store" any more nowadays.
Ok, I admit I live in a land of wonder, I can think of three hobby shops within close proximity that have sizable train selections.
Old June 19th, 2019, 01:53 AM

Mako Citizen

Lots of affordable figure options in 15mm, from: Ground Zero Games (GZG) in the UK, Rebel Minis, Khurasan, Old Glory, RAFM, etc., etc.. Sometimes they have sales, making them an even better value.

There are quite a few spacecraft options too, in 15mm, for reasonable prices.

There are also some in 25mm+ scale too, up to and including the various 32mm Clix figures, of which many can be quite reasonable. You don't need too many for a game, or three, unless you are a megalomaniac like many minis collectors/gamers.

I'm working on acquiring buildings, landing pads, a runway, vehicles, figures, and spacecraft for various spaceports - from outposts to fairly large, well traveled ones with lots of areas, buildings, and other things to explore, protect, or break into, and fight over.
Old June 19th, 2019, 01:10 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
There are quite a few spacecraft options too, in 15mm, for reasonable prices.
As flats, yes. Models are anther thing entirely. Even a Scout is almost 6 inches long.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)