Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 31st, 2018, 05:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
StanTheMan Citizen
Default [House Rules, MGT2e] Does anybody increase pensions based on rank?

Like it says, does anyone have a house rule idea on increasing pensions based on rank. Based on the MGT2e living cost numbers for standards of living by Social Standing (which I would totally use when the crew is dirtside), the ability of those retired, high status navy admirals to maintain their standard of living seem ludicrous. Like, in the US and UK, for example, a retired admiral's pension is pretty high (in the US, in general, after twenty years of service, you get 50% of your base pay plus 2.5% for each year after 20; in the UK, a 2-star is looking at 38.5% of their pay in retirement, which works out to 37666 GBP per year; nothing to sneeze at).

The numbers, thus, seem laughably low. I understand why they're not super high (so Travellers aren't swimming in cash; after all, that's why the ship mortgage and no rules on noble fiefs and such), but still, I feel like that is TOO low.

So, the question.speculation - what's a good bonus to give per rank step? There are six rank steps in careers, so it seems obvious to match to that. Like, +1000 creds per step? +500? Some other number? Ideas?
Old August 31st, 2018, 10:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

What about increasing the number of terms, just for pension pourposes, by the same number you increase mustering out rolls due to rank?

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old August 31st, 2018, 11:58 AM

ffilz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
What about increasing the number of terms, just for pension pourposes, by the same number you increase mustering out rolls due to rank?
That would certainly be a nice simple and sensible way to handle it.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 04:36 AM

StanTheMan Citizen

Quote:
Interesting. Hadn't thought of that. I like it actually. Very neat, and since the number is already generated, and scales a bit but not too much, that might work. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited by StanTheMan; September 3rd, 2018 at 04:50 AM..
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:38 PM

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

Depends on whether the Imperium makes it merit based, length of Federal service being the prime consideration.
Old September 20th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Depends on whether the Imperium makes it merit based, length of Federal service being the prime consideration.
Very few real world retirement systems I've heard of base it solely upon duration of service; most base it upon final pay rate.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 20th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Sure, but the question by the OP was about adding the merit (Rank) to it too, so this question about what is it based was (IMHO) answered before asking.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old September 20th, 2018, 10:52 PM

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

The honour of serving should be enough, especially in a class bound sosciety, where officers of noble heritage may be required to supplement their lifestyle with an allowance from back home, and you really appreciate it's the non commissed types that keep the whole machinery running.

I don't really care one way or another, it's just an exercise to find an explanation why it might be this way.
Old September 21st, 2018, 03:35 AM

StanTheMan Citizen

Quote:
Sure, but the question by the OP was about adding the merit (Rank) to it too, so this question about what is it based was (IMHO) answered before asking.
That's what I was going for, yes! I mean, at least for most places that I know, time spent "in service" AND actual pay/rank were the determiners of one's final retirement calculation and benefits giving. Classic rules only take into account time served, which I wanted to modify (and also, to match the Standards of Living that seem to be a good rule of thumb to follow).