Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+
Default Ministry of Colonization

I'm working on fleshing this out for the Third Imperium. Does anyone have any good recommendations for sources I can use for research? I already have a copy of the Grand Explorations unpublished material and Pocket Empires (T4) and Dynasty (MgT).
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:50 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Anything about Forboldn in the Regina subsector might be helpful.
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:34 AM

Gallery : 0
shield Citizen

One of the megatraveller journals mentions the Jonkereen who were developed by the ministry of colonisation. I think they have a ministry base in bottom half of the marches. Glisten or Trins Veil
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:27 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

TNE World Tamer's Handbook is available at Drivethru. It provides the nitty gritty on colonization. Admittedly it is Virus era, so no Ministry, but there is excelent detail on the starting and building of colonies from at a very discret ground level. Things like evaluating terrain hexes, allocating population to agriculture, building roads, that sort of thing. It should be adaptable to other eras if you keep that in mind.
Old August 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

The GURPS Nobles book also has some information on it from a bureaucratic perspective. I can't remember how informative it was or not. I'll look tonight.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:48 AM

I was thinking that the combination of the Honorable Order of the Arrow Knighthood and the Ministry of Colonization would be a great way for sector Dukes to get rid of nuisances through lateral promotion.

Out of the way places being great to put things Out of the Way.
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:04 AM

OK, I have an open question here.

In G:T and MgT, there is the Imperial Colonial Office while in everything else it is the Ministry of Colonization. Are these intended to be the same bueracracy with different names or are they two different bueracracies engaged in cooperation or a rivalry? I'm tempted to say that it is the artistic license of the author, Martin Dougherty, but I don't know.

I've already found where the Ministry of Conservation is egaged with a rivalry with the Ministry of Colonization. Some opportunities there...
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper View Post
OK, I have an open question here.

In G:T and MgT, there is the Imperial Colonial Office while in everything else it is the Ministry of Colonization. Are these intended to be the same bueracracy with different names or are they two different bueracracies engaged in cooperation or a rivalry? I'm tempted to say that it is the artistic license of the author, Martin Dougherty, but I don't know.
In my writeup of Forboldn for PYRAMID (echoed on JTAS Online), I wrote:

"The Colonial Office is a Ministry of Colonization agency with branches organized on the subsector level to implement the policies of the ministry."

My conception was that the CO was the primary arm of the ministry, but that the ministry probably had other organizations under it as well (I never thought up any, though). The article is not canon, sadly, but if a mention of the CO has snuck into an official publication, I'd be most interested to know where. And I will, of course, urge you to go with the Colonial Office as an agency of the Ministry of Colonization.

Hans
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:11 AM

Imperial Colonial Office has shown up in two adventures for PYRAMID Cold Night on Dashgad and Long Night on Dashgad (both predating your Forboldn article), and in the Spinward Marches book for MgT. The way that they are used makes me believe that they are not the same concept that you had for the Colonial Office.

EDIT: I'm tempted to say that I saw it in G:T Behind the Claw as well, but I do not currently have a copy of that book so I cannot confirm this.

Last edited by Jeff M. Hopper; August 26th, 2013 at 06:32 AM..
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper View Post
Imperial Colonial Office has shown up in two adventures for PYRAMID Cold Night on Dashgad and Long Night on Dashgad (both predating your Forboldn article), and in the Spinward Marches book for MgT. The way that they are used makes me believe that they are not the same concept that you had for the Colonial Office.
What is their concept, then?

Hans