Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old September 18th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
simonh Citizen+simonh Citizen+
Default Unifying Python world generation tools

Looking on Makhidkarun currently there are I think five different projects for generating world data, one of them mine. I was about to merge mine into py_tools, but I'm considering what would be a responsible way to do that.

I've long wanted to genuinely collaborate on these tools with others, as a community. Recently I've been working with Leitz to do that under the py_tools project because I think the right way to do that is under a single repository, otherwise I suspect all our tools will remain siloed. In doing so I've followed Leitz' example and refactored my code as libraries, with a separate command line interface script.

I think this is the right way to go. It also opens up the possibility of providing a single interface script that can call on multiple different libraries on the back end. Once our code is in a single repository I hope it would be a lot easier to share code and call into each other's stuff. For example Golan's scripts do star gen which mine doesn't.

Anyway, it's a thought.

Simon Hibbs

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.