Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old January 20th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Default The Hiring

The advert text:
Needed soonest: Survey team members for contract survey on Venus. Survey to be in wilds. Send CV, photograph, and letter of endorsement from a member of the RE to James Fellows, Maj., RE, Ordinance Survey Director's House, The Avenue, Southamption. Specified positions available include Geologist, Biologist, Surveyor, Wildlife Defense, and Airship Crewman. Individuals with airships may apply; airship to be hired at 200Ł in addition to crew pay. Pay upon survey completion 150Ł per ea plus bonus for quality of survey. All basic needs to be provided for duration of employment. No armaments provided; individuals may be advanced ammunition from RE stocks. Full crew leaders applying may receive a finding fee upon completion. Certain individuals may receive an advance for supplies at the discretion of the OS. Serious inquiries only. Interviews January 9-13 Hiring to be completed by January 14. Departure date est. Jan 18.
Was posted in The Cornishman issue for Thursday, 7th October, 1886, and in the London Daily News and Western Mail for Friday, 8th October, 1886.

Hiring date is a friday, BTW.

Separately, same papers:
Reporters needed to accompany Contract Expeditions to assorted planets. Guaranteed first story rights, total access to mission, plus expedition pay if earned. Contact Major General Sir Charles Wilson, Ordinance Survey Director's House, The Avenue, Southamption. Reference from and permission of supervising editor of employing periodical required, as well as CV. Apply in person 7 January 1887.
Your notice of selection for interview specified that you should plan on a 1.5 year absence, and 4 months aboard.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; January 20th, 2014 at 05:05 AM..
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen

David Lawton, a reporter for The Cornishman, is in his flat reading the news as he has supper. He spies the advert and thinks it seems interesting.

The next morning, he goes to his supervisor and says, "Pardon, sir, but I think this survey might need a reporter to publicise its findings. I would like to put in for the task. It might even be a coup for the paper - get the scoop on everyone else."
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old January 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
David Lawton, a reporter for The Cornishman, is in his flat reading the news as he has supper. He spies the advert and thinks it seems interesting.

The next morning, he goes to his supervisor and says, "Pardon, sir, but I think this survey might need a reporter to publicise its findings. I would like to put in for the task. It might even be a coup for the paper - get the scoop on everyone else."
He pulls out a typewritten letter, signs it, blots the ink, hands it to you. It's a letter of recommendation and assignment. A pair of purchase orders are with it, and he fills out a couple details, then hands it over, too, ink still wet.

"Jolly. Thought you might. Give your curriculum as well, and get it to Southampton. Here, get a ticket to Southampton, take the weekend. Be in Tuesday with a couple new photos of the director's house for stock."

"And have fun, Davey."

The PO's cover a ticket, and a fleabag flophouse near the director's house.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:51 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

While in London, where he has taken his ship to test it and to patent his last invention, Rory McBean reads the advertisement in the Daily News.

A good opportunity to test the Highlands Pride, he thinks, wondering if his old contact in the RE (OOC: I guess that means Royal Engineers) will endorse him.

After seeing him and obtaining the endorsement, he readies his CV and asks for an appointment with Major Fellows...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
He pulls out a typewritten letter, signs it, blots the ink, hands it to you. It's a letter of recommendation and assignment. A pair of purchase orders are with it, and he fills out a couple details, then hands it over, too, ink still wet.

"Jolly. Thought you might. Give your curriculum as well, and get it to Southampton. Here, get a ticket to Southampton, take the weekend. Be in Tuesday with a couple new photos of the director's house for stock."

"And have fun, Davey."

The PO's cover a ticket, and a fleabag flophouse near the director's house.
"Will do, boss. You want me to get photos of the director's house before we lift for Venus, right?"

After this little question's cleared up, Davey gets on the train and does some research to locate the director's house. He goes to the flophouse and has some sleep - can't photograph without a good night's sleep, or rather, since it's the evening and the light is bad, doesn't want to.
The next morning he goes over to have his interview, and asks to take several photos of the house and Major Fellows for The Cornishman.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old January 21st, 2014, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
"Will do, boss. You want me to get photos of the director's house before we lift for Venus, right?"

After this little question's cleared up, Davey gets on the train and does some research to locate the director's house. He goes to the flophouse and has some sleep - can't photograph without a good night's sleep, or rather, since it's the evening and the light is bad, doesn't want to.
The next morning he goes over to have his interview, and asks to take several photos of the house and Major Fellows for The Cornishman.
"I want you to get your paperwork in now, get some stock photos so the Chief can't complain about the trip, and so you're top of the queue. We need something to boost circulation in the long term, and an exclusive can't be bad!"
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 21st, 2014, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
While in London, where he has taken his ship to test it and to patent his last invention, Rory McBean reads the advertisement in the Daily News.

A good opportunity to test the Highlands Pride, he thinks, wondering if his old contact in the RE (OOC: I guess that means Royal Engineers) will endorse him.

After seeing him and obtaining the endorsement, he readies his CV and asks for an appointment with Major Fellows...
Submitting in person or via mail?
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:43 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Submitting in person or via mail?
Given McBean's charisma, he'd better submit it by mail, but ready if he's asked an interview...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
Given McBean's charisma, he'd better submit it by mail, but ready if he's asked an interview...
He gets a card back in the Post within the week, care of the hotel.
Dear Mr. McBean
Your appointment for interview is scheduled for the hour of 9 in the morning on the 9th of January. Please park your airship on the football pitch, as there's a cricket match versus the Navy that afternoon. Ground crew will be on watch from the hour of 7. Please notify if flying in earlier so ground crew can be ready.

James Fellowes
-James Fellowes, Maj., RE
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:43 PM
Peer of the Realm

Thanos Citizen

8 October, 1886. London England.

Henri DuBois has arrived in the city for a symposium Darwin's theory of natural selection. Sitting in the lobby of the Great Western hotel reading the Western Mail he spots the advert and is immediately intrigued.

How did that young lieutenant put it last night? "Publish or perish!" All to true. Certainly his family was one of means but he wanted to establish himself as his own man.

His dissertation while published and sufficient to graduate him was workman like. His two other papers showed promise but were still nothing of note. This! This would give him an experience few others scientists in his field could have. It was most certainly dangerous but the reward would be well worth it. If he survived he would be a Naturalist of note for that alone.

A letter of endorsement from a member of the RE? That young officer last night, Caruthers? He was amiable enough. Well at least as long as Henri was buying his drinks. Was he in the Royal Engineers? If not did he know someone?

Henri decided to seek him out on tomorrow at the concluding day of the symposium.

Fortunately Lt. Caruthers is in the RE and a letter of endorsement is quickly, if not cheaply, obtained.

Monday two letters are sent out from the Great Western. One to James Fellows, Maj. containing CV, the letter of endorsement, and a very recent photograph. The other letter to Dr. Phillip Augustin care of the Sorbonne regarding a leave of absence to participate in the expedition.