Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
Mytholder Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
"Why not simply add a Characteristic Modifier table and say 2D6 + Skill + Characteristic Modifier vs TN?"

Beacuse it requires a secondary line of information on your character sheet, which in turn makes the actual Characteristic score redundant.
Not if you're doing other stuff with the Characteristic, like using it as your damage capacity.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Pickles

Gallery :

Characteristic bonuses have been tried and tested for 30 years and no-one ever got their character sheets in a twist because they had to write +2 next to a stat.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's useless - unlike a lot of the new-fangled RPG fashions out there ...
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Berg Citizen

The +/- 5 for characteristics may be relative, if skills range from 0-15...
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

The only problem with a Char-7 is that the characteristic gain then has identical weight to skill weight.

I'd much prefer truncate((char-7)/2))
Which tables out to
15-16 +4
13-14 +3
11-12 +2
9-10 +1
6-8 +0
4-5 (-1)
2-3 (-2)
1 (-3)

This makes stats gain half as valuable as skill gains, and thus gives a reason to actually bother with skill gains.

Even with a listed bonus, if damage still is done to stats, the physicals (at least) are non-redundant.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:12 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The only problem with a Char-7 is that the characteristic gain then has identical weight to skill weight.

I'd much prefer truncate((char-7)/2))
Which tables out to
15-16 +4
13-14 +3
11-12 +2
9-10 +1
6-8 +0
4-5 (-1)
2-3 (-2)
1 (-3)

This makes stats gain half as valuable as skill gains, and thus gives a reason to actually bother with skill gains.
I like that.

Quote:
Even with a listed bonus, if damage still is done to stats, the physicals (at least) are non-redundant.
Oooh great point! One I need to keep in mind...
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
The +/- 5 for characteristics may be relative, if skills range from 0-15...
True, but it still needs to be removed from the mechanic and simply found as a characteristic mod. It's gonna be precalc'd anyway.

That said, I have issues with skills running 0-15 on a 2d6 system.
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Berg Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
That said, I have issues with skills running 0-15 on a 2d6 system.
Does seem outta wack...

Aramis' solution sounds interesting...*

*Hope the powers that be are watching
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Echo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Bromgrev View Post
Characteristic bonuses have been tried and tested for 30 years and no-one ever got their character sheets in a twist because they had to write +2 next to a stat.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's useless - unlike a lot of the new-fangled RPG fashions out there ...
They didn't use this approach in Classic Traveller. In Classic Traveller, they didn't have a stated core system, but used a non-fixed Characteristic bonus in all of the sub-systems, similar to the one outlined above.

The fixed Characteristic bonus concept only came in with Mega-Traveller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
A +2 is something that won't be seen very often at all by any character considering that any task with a TN of 7+ will preclude even characters with a 12 from getting a +2 bonus on an average task roll.

It also doesn't have any penalty for those with penalize those with a very low characteristic score.
I'm not sure that a complex task of TN 7 or more should be able to get a higher Characteristic bonus than +1 - the more technical the task, the more important it should be to get a good skill level.

You could easily expand the system to also state:

Quote:
-1 penalty for Characteristics lower than the TN.
-2 penalty for Characteristics half or less than the TN.
Thus: you would get a range from -2 to +2 in Characteristic penalties/bonuses; it would directly tie in the TN range to be on the same scale as the Characteristic scores, and you wouldn't need a secondary line of calculated penalties/bonuses.

Last edited by Echo; September 2nd, 2007 at 06:36 AM..
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Stainless Citizen

Why don't they just use an intuitive percentile system?!

[Ducks and runs for cover....]
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

My math is slightly more complicated than aramis': truncate((Char+1)/2)-4

The "+1" makes the middle of the range at 7 instead of 8, and makes it run -3 to +3 (instead of -3 to +4). The only way to get the -3 is with a 1, and the only way to get a +3 is with 12 or better. (I had trouble with the +4 at the top end of aramis' scale. )

Echo, the only thing with your system is that 7+ is not a complex task, but an average one. Unless of course they change it to go higher with a skill range of 0-15.

Actually, in some ways, I can see the balance of skill=0-15 (vs stat). But, it doesn't work in a 2d6 environment (as Hunter notes). It also doesn't "scale" to the stats properly, as the skills start at 0, where the stats "start" at 7. Having the two be identical (in range) might confuse folks on that concept.

And, I'm with aramis on the idea of a non-lover of SF writing a SF game - even if he is a professional writer. That's a lot like the idea that anyone with a teaching certificate can teach any subject. In the RW, you have to know the subject, too.