Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old May 29th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_c_jackson View Post
That was brilliant, thanks. I don't suppose any of those sources included a surface map of the world? If so, which one(s)?

Thanks in advance all.

Lindsay
I have a three of them in digital format, specifically The Traveller Book and JTAS 23 and Adventure 12: Secrets of the Ancients. The main material cited by Don comes from JTAS 23, and while it has a detailed adventure on Efate, there is no world map. There is no world map in The Traveller Book either, or Adventure 12.

The information from The Traveller Book is as follows.

Quote:
Efate (0105 A646930·D): Spinward connection in the vital express boat route leading to Jewell subsector. Recently the site of continuing bitter anti·Imperial guerrilla activity. Page 153
The information in Adventure 12 is as follows.

Quote:
The admitted site is located on Efate. Discovered in 354, it has long since been stripped of any useful items, and is now operated as an historic site. Restorations of the site show a gridwork of thousands of walls spaced about two meters apart and punctuated by extremely massive bulwarks at random intervals. Page 37
Unless the Challenge article has one, you may have to make your own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

There is a bit more about Efate if you dig through early adventure rumours:
Quote:
K. A mercenary captain (age 33, 9A6DA8, former Marine) says that he is en
route to Efate (0105) to join a mercenary operation locally organized to put down
a minor rebellion.
Quote:
N. A colonial official (age 40, 3229A8) states that the Forboldn (0208) Project
(to colonize and extensively settle the world) is lagging behind, and the arrival of
intended colonists will be delayed at least 10 years. If pressed, he will admit that it
is because of social and civil unrest in that end (toward Efate) of the subsector.
Quote:
2. A recent uprising at Feri (0405) has cut the Imperial communication jump
route from Regina (0310) to Efate (0105).
Old May 30th, 2016, 05:10 AM

Gallery : 10
Hyphen Citizen+Hyphen Citizen+

Wow, I actually remember sending stuff to Alvin for his article by snail-mail - that was a L-O-N-G time ago!!

I think I sent him some stuff I had gleaned out of the first MegaTraveller computer adventure, including a rough "mud map" of Efate that was available in that game. I think that's where the "exploding plants" came from as well. ;-) I know there was a floating city in the north (only accessible if you hired a grav speeder) where you could buy - dah DUH dah - plasma guns!!

From memory, I *think* Don was wrong: ISTR that Alvin's stuff was for MT, not TNE (although I could be wrong - it was 1995, after all!).

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Alvin? He was extremely prolific and inventive back in the day, then things just... stopped. Is he an Absent Friend? :-(
- Count Zuiar (Dagu 0705)- Starburst for Extreme Heroism - Pursuits at Alell
- Baroness Heidi Maria Heyerdahl, Tavonni (Spin 1520)- MCG - Final Victory at Emerald
- Baron Sii (Dagu 0932)TAS:
- Ritter of Tavonni (Spin 1520)- Bearer (Ley: Silver 0221); Bearer (Lish: Zemud 0212)
Coins:(#170) XO (Lt) FE Holmes, 154th BR Sq
(#222) PlatLdr (LtO2), 3P, ΔTrp (G-Tank), 2B (LI), 4518th(#282) XO (LtO2), ΒCo (J-Trp), 6B (JT), 4518th
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Garnfellow Citizen+Garnfellow Citizen+

What is a mud map?
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

fridge Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnfellow View Post
What is a mud map?
Hyphen is speaking Aussie

From Collins English Dictionary "(Australian, informal) a map drawn on the ground with a stick, or any other roughly drawn map"
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:37 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen View Post
... gleaned out of the first MegaTraveller computer adventure...

That's something which completely slipped my mind, the two MT computer games.

Just how canonical are they?

I only played the first and then very briefly, but I do remember the maps of a sort. Of course they're more like "mud"(1) maps than anything else, but it does make you wonder.

After all, at TL D Efate has the know how to build, operate, and maintain grav cities.

1 - Thanks for that term, Hyphen! It neatly describes it's object.
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

l_c_jackson Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Unless the Challenge article has one, you may have to make your own.
I just bought the PDF of Challenge 50. There's lots of good MegaTraveller stuff in there, but no map of Efate.

Thanks anyway

Lindsay
Old May 31st, 2016, 07:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

jec10 Citizen

Don't forget TNS articles:

Regina/Regina (0310-A788899-A) Date: 274-1105
The Traveller's Aid Society regrets to announce the indefinite closing of its class A facility on Efate (Regina 0105-A646930-D) and the posting of that world as an amber travel zone. Gutted during a recent firefight in the administrative capital, there are no immediate plans to repair the facility until civil order has been restored on Efate.

In the event that travel to Efate is necessary, a society travel agent remains on duty and can be reached through the offices of the Oberlindes lines at Down-Franklin Starport. Travellers are advised however, to avoid travel to this world if at all possible.

Regina/Regina (0310-A788899-A) Date: 004-1106
The Traveller's Aid Society has obtained an exclusive interview with Major Windan Lorimer, Imperial Marines (ret.), recently returned from six months of duty as a captain of auxiliaries engaged in counter-insurgency actions on Efate (Regina 0105-A646930-D).
In the interview, Major Lorimer revealed that four months ago his battalion became engaged in a firefight and subsequently captured twenty insurgents, two of which were officers. Subsequent medical examination revealed that one of the two was actually a Zhodani officer serving as an advisor to the Ine Givar cadres.

In response to queries concerning Major Lorimer's claims, Rear Admiral Lord Santanocheev, CINCNINT/RS (Commander-in-Chief, Naval Intelligence, Regina Subsector) today held a press conference during which he claimed that Naval Intelligence was convinced that there was neither Zhodani or Ine Givar involvement in the Efate disturbances.

"What we have on Efate is a local, very minor situation. We're handling it with local forces and a few mercenary contingents. If it were serious, we could commit army or marine assets. We have some very potent assets in this subsector, but we haven't felt the need to commit them. This is not a serious situation,", he reported.

When asked about the report of a Zhodani officer, Lord Santanocheev replied, "Naval Intelligence has this man in custody, and I can assure you that he is not a Zhodani officer, or a Zhodani anything. I fought the Zhodani twenty years ago in this subsector. I know the Zhodani, and this man is not a Zhodani."

When contacted afterwards, Major Lorimer refused to comment on the Admiral's remarks, beyond insisting that his original reports had been accurate.

Efate/Regina (0105-A646930-D) Date: 148-1106
Reliable sources in the defense establishment have admitted in private that the Imperial Army's 1197th Separate Light Infantry Brigade has been engaged in counter-insurgency operations in the Vandere district of Kormoron (Efate's northern continent) for the last eight months. When asked to comment on Rear-Admiral Lord Santanocheev's recent claim that no Imperial army or marine units had been committed, they declined.

One official did explain, however, that the brigade was only employed in mopping up operations and had been inserted only to allow rotation of indigenous troops out of combat. "Once all the local units in Vandere have had a spell in the rear, the 1197th will be pulled out," he said.

Efate/Regina (0105-A646930-D) Date: 078-1107
The small brushfire war that has sputtered off and on for several years on this frontier world has, within the last week, came suddenly alive. New ships are arriving in orbit daily, and Down Franklin Starport, for many months nearly empty, is now choked with a steady flow of marines and army troopers disgorged from busy fleet shuttles.

Yesterday Colonel Eitan Rahbaan, public relations officer for the newly formed Forty-Third (Provisional) Frontier Army explained in a press conference the reason for the sudden build-up and the general plan of action. The continuing protracted nature of the insurgency action on Efate had been a mounting drain on manpower resources, and had begun to sap the morale of indigenous troops. As a result, the decision was made to concentrate maximum effort to end the conflict in the shortest possible time.

Maximum effort is the only way to describe the amazing build-up that has taken place literally overnight. Already official circulars list eleven brigade-sized Imperial formations deployed on-planet, in addition to four brigades that apparently were here previously. Even now, large transports are off-loading the heavy vehicles of the well-equipped and hard-hitting 317 Air-Mechanized Brigade, and rumor has it that the build-up is still not complete.

This reporter admits to being overwhelmed by this truly impressive show of force. One can only wonder how long the stubborn but indifferently equipped insurgents on this world can hold out against the ultra-modern juggernaught Army Vice-Marshal Lord Calavan, commander of the 43rd Provisional Army, is preparing to unleash on it? Days? Hours?
Old May 31st, 2016, 04:18 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I have the JTAS 1-24 in digital too, but as the original poster was looking for a map, I looked at what Don had posted. I knew that none of the Traveller News Service posting included a map. The JTAS does have a few maps of worlds, but I am not sure how close one of the would make the World Data for Efate.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:59 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog

Here are a couple of thoughts for you in map-making

First, there are the articles on Planet-Building in JTAS 10 and 11 by the Keith brothers. Their example uses Craw, in the Glisten sub-sector, with characteristics of C573. As Efate is A646, if you flip the land and water portions of the map of Craw, you have an approximation of land-water proportions of Efate. You just have to add a bit more land. Also, the various Traveller News Service flashes in the JTAS give some more ideas of what Efate is like.

Then there is the article on Planetary Maps in JTAS 22 that has the number of hexs of land on a Traveller 20-triangle map for various levels of hydrographic coverage.

Most of the Adventures, either long or short, have maps as well, which you might want to check out and get some ideas from. Traveller Supplement 12 does have a blank world map to work from, and I believe that T5 does as well.