Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old March 1st, 2005, 12:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Klaus Citizen
Hi there everyone.

Well finally got round to putting it in some kind of order, so here's the character artwork + character sheet I've been working on for the past 6 weeks.

http://www.crookedlimb.net/nisseau/T...ardrobe_v0.swf

To sum up it's a Flash movie (requires version 6 or higher) that allows you to design a character image, changing various parameters like eyes, hair, age, clothing; then fill in a truncated character sheet; and then be able to print out the result.

Well, I can do the last bit. I'm using a Mac running OSX with an Epson printer, and -File--Print- in the Flash player menu brings up the printer software, letting me print or save as a PDF. This is one of the reasons I need some testers: I don't know how it runs on Windows machines.

This is a Beta version. Most of the functionality is there (I hope to add a pseudo-save option in the future), but I've only compiled the artwork for the female of the species - more interesting to look at while I'm coding... [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's not entirely idiot proof, and there's no save function yet, and occasionally they look like Michael Jackson, but I hope you like it.

And please. Give me feedback on the interface, ability to print, and the figure/wardrobe artwork itself.
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:43 AM

Klaus Citizen
Oh, and its only 428k to download, so don't worry about big files.
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:57 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 5
Shadow Bear Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:
Oh, and its only 428k to download, so don't worry about big files.
Hi,

I tries the software and found the following problems.

While the screen graphic looks great when printed the graphic appears to loose the aspect ratio (it appers taller and skinnyer thean the screen graphic). I also saved it as a PDF and printed from Adobe and found the same problem.

The oval helmet has a problem in that some hair styles stick out.

When a skirt is used some holsters that use the leg strap show up.

Overall I say the program is great and want to see more of it (male models and diferent poses for both and more races).

I have used Charatceer Artist from Profantasy and find you program much quicker. The only advantage CA has over this program is the ability to draw or customize.
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:52 AM
The Man Behind the Curtain

Visit Bruce's Blog
Bruce has disabled reputation
this is very cool.

One suggestion, have the choices for each part that can have something attached to it, say a hat, have the choices cycle around instead of having to click back.

I can just imagine what it might look like when you have a Vargr or a Hiver up there.

Bruce
The Man Behind the Curtain

Don't just eat a cheeseburger, eat the HELL out of it.
-- J.R. "BoB" Dobbs
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:48 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
This is very cool! However, I did not see settings that would duplicate Battle Dress or Combat Armour. Plus, Goblin & I (and a few others are working on the question of uniforms) so once those things are worked in...the potential is great.
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM

Klaus Citizen
Unfortunately the artwork can't always match up, so there will be the occasional glitches, like the holster + skirt. The 'overwear' section is not in any way finished, and I'm still thinking on the best way to incorporate the harness and the armour. Battledress and vac suits are on the way. For the hair/hat problem I'm thinking that each hat resets the hairstyle to one that will fit.

There won't be any new poses, at least for a long time. That one was carefully designed to make clothes design easier and to be a generic as possible without being bland. When I get round to it the males I will inlude a 'beergut', but this will be a function of clothing.

The text is the big issue atm, as now I've looked properly I'm getting that problem too. I'll see what I can do about that.

If anyone wants to contribute some clothes designs then that would be great(credited of course). It's not time consuming putting the design into the code but coming up with designs is. I could put a figure template up and some short guidelines as how to do the various components if you want.

I've modelled the Ace Pilot and Navy uniform form the THB in there, though it has to be built up from the various components. I think I'll add some preset buttons for all the classes in the THB, as most can be modelled in some way.

Is anyone else getting problems with the aspect ratio on the pdf? Not sure why this might be happening. The base size of the swf is 820x600 pixels, so its not 4 by 3 like a standard screen.

Shadow Bear, does it fill an A$ sheet when you print?
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM

Visit Chuck Anumia's Blog
Chuck Anumia Citizen+Chuck Anumia Citizen+
Thumbs up

Excellent work!
I have very few female Characters I play and I will now have to roll this one up so everyone who sees her will know her.
Thanks
Count of Menorb (Spin) 1603 C652998-7
Count Palique (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Count Aramanx (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Viscount Edenelt (Spin) 2733 AA5638BD-B
Marquis Piram (Dene) E311777-7
Knight (Spin) 3029 Palique A511965-E
Knight of Deneb (Spin) 3005 Aramanx B657974-7
Sir Chuck Anumia (Troj) 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
TAS- Fellow Troj 2902 Bleak C9C6225-9
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:42 PM

Jame Citizen
How does one download, anyways?
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

MR TEK Citizen
Very cool!

One bug, outer apparel will not change colors. Also Just astetics,but a Loose jusp suit or coverals w/ ;ots of pocet space seems to be a common ship "uniform" if you will.

I like that accessories seem to adust for clothing,(just layers I suppose, but much cleaner than hero machine, say. I also like that accessories and some cothing seem to have each individual piece, and then choices that are combinations of a couple of peices.

I can see where that would explode data space, but very cool to be able to have more than on item from a given group.

One other item, WAYYYY down the line. Being able to store the foldups seperatly would be nice. Maybe even a seperate section to allow printing sheets to the fold ups.

I like what I see so far.

Give me aliens, a decent range of gear, and a way to mark the fold-ups so I can print a group and tell which is which, and I could be willing to pay for this.

As has been a hot topic latly, a decent wat to get fold-ups, would be worth its weight by itself. Add the picture, and the characor sheet, and you are well on your way to a decent comercial entry.

Also the interface is clean, and simple. No huning for what I want. Add a lot of styles to any of the sections, and you might need a two tered system. Something like outer apparel being broken into Coats, vests, Overshirts and coveralls maybe, and then a styles menu benith that.

Just some thoughts, but VERY impressive.

Mr Tek

Also printed fine on a windows box, common HP ink jet.
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 5
Shadow Bear Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus:

Shadow Bear, does it fill an A$ sheet when you print?
I am using a standard letter size paper in a DeskJet 1120C from a system using Windows 2000 Pro and an Athlon prcessor.

Changing the paper size to A4 did the trick. The aspect is just fine but the resolution could be improved.

Let me know when the next version is ready.