Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Card Game

Traveller Card Game Discussion and Teasers for the forthcoming Traveller Card Game.

Old September 14th, 2016, 04:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
LeperColony Citizen+LeperColony Citizen+
Default Introduction

My name is Jeff, and I am the lead designer for Traveller: The Card Game. It's my great honor to announce this upcoming product here on the CotI boards.

As a longtime gamer and Traveller fan, I've often thought Marc Miller's universe would make the perfect setting for a CCG. Now, thanks to a license we only just recently finalized, we're getting a chance to bring our vision of trade and adventure in the Far Future to you!

I will be happy to field any inquiries, but I've also gone ahead and written up a brief FAQ (the "A" here being "anticipated" since, obviously, nobody has really had a chance to "ask" anything yet).

1) What is this?

Traveller: TCG is a customizable card game set in Marc Miller's Traveller universe. Players each assume command of their own small merchant vessel, in a bid to avoid bankruptcy and pay off their ship before any opponent.

2) How is the game played?

T: TCG is essentially a Victory Point race game, where each player tries to be the first to cross the finish line by assuming and resolving employment opportunities called Contracts. However, over the course of the game, each captain must meet an ever increasing array of expenses. Failure to meet an expense results in bankruptcy and defeat.

For those dastardly players who would rather steal a Credit than earn one, Piracy may be more appealing than mercantile activity.

The game has been designed as a multi-player experience best with two to four players. However, the underlying mechanics of the game allow for solo play, and single player game modes are envisioned and supported.

3) What is the game about?

Captains take charge of ships within the range of typical vessels from a Traveller RPG campaign. Our smallest ship is the 100 ton Scout. Our largest is the 800 ton Broadsword.

Each ship has its own capabilities and advantages, and our objective is to provide a different play experience for each of the iconic vessels.

4) When and how is this happening?

We're not exactly ready to release dates yet, but the answer is "soonish." As for how, we're going to attempt a crowdfunding campaign.

Right now we're in a pre-production phase. The game has been designed and internal playtesting has been completed, and external playtesting will continue throughout this process.

We have raised a budget with which we are securing the necessary materials and expertise to get us to a Kickstarter campaign. We have commissioned art for a small number of sample cards, tokens and graphic design layouts.

Our funding goals are realistic, thoroughly researched and, I believe, entirely obtainable. I'm familiar with Kickstarter horror stories. I myself have backed Robotech: Tactics, one of the great debacles in gaming history. At every single step of our proposal to Marc Miller, we have demonstrated an absolute commitment to respect Traveller and its supporters.

Our Kickstarter will be among the most transparent ever produced, and will include what we believe to be almost unprecedented, a public accounting of how pledged funds are spent.

5) Can I get involved?

Sure! If you'd like to contribute, we can find a way to use you! Going forward, we'll be looking for people willing to playtest the game.

Although as any CotI member knows, Traveller does not mean exactly the same thing to any two people, we are always happy to hear what it means to you, and what you'd like to see in a card game set in its universe.

If you have an interest in learning more about the mechanics, play style or other details, we'd love the chance to engage with you on those topics.

6) This idea sucks!

Well, can't win 'em all. But seriously, nothing has ever been successful without constructive criticism. We consider it an honor to engage with Traveller fans, even if they're not fans of what we're doing. If you have concerns, I want to hear them. If you have a problem, I'll try to address it. You may not agree with my response, but I'll do my best to see you get one.

Thanks!

Last edited by LeperColony; September 14th, 2016 at 12:59 PM..
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:30 AM

maksimsmelchak Citizen+maksimsmelchak Citizen+

How may we contact you off the CotI boards?

Shalom,
M.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:57 PM

We're still setting up our web presence, but for now if you PM me, I'll provide you with my personal email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimsmelchak View Post
How may we contact you off the CotI boards?

Shalom,
M.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

last year I pointed out that the "traveller card game" thread had 116 views per day for years on end, and asked if anyone had considered a card game for traveller. no-one really said anything. some months ago I posted an initial set of ideas for an interactive card game, and despite quite a few views no-one said anything at all, zero comments, so I figured no-one was actually interested and discontinued work on it. so I'm wondering if you expect much in the way of funding?
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
last year I pointed out that the "traveller card game" thread had 116 views per day for years on end, and asked if anyone had considered a card game for traveller. no-one really said anything. some months ago I posted an initial set of ideas for an interactive card game, and despite quite a few views no-one said anything at all, zero comments, so I figured no-one was actually interested and discontinued work on it. so I'm wondering if you expect much in the way of funding?
I can't speak as to why other people may not have responded to your thread, but for my part, I didn't participate because I was negotiating with Marc Miller for a license at that time.

Whether or not the project receives the funding it needs will depend on our ability to demonstrate to both the Traveller and the Customizable Card Game communities our commitment towards, and ability to deliver a polished, high quality, fun product. That's on us.

But, before even approaching Marc for a license, we have thoroughly researched both Traveller's and CCGs generally (as well as, though less intensively, card games as a whole) performance in crowdfunding campaigns. Both the average and the modal Traveller crowdfunding results gets us where we aim to be. For CCGs generally it's a little more complicated, but still fit within our projections.

Our discussions with Marc have been intensive. In our efforts to procure the license, we have sent him detailed line item budgetary estimates that show our goals are achievable within the historical results of Traveller and CCG Kickstarters.

To us, the doomsday scenario is not failing to receive funding. If we launch our campaign and the market response is "meh" and a shrug, we're out the money we spent pre-launch and the time we put into it. That'll be unfortunate, to be sure.

But the doomsday scenario is we get funded and can't deliver. That's why we have been so thorough and careful in our budgeting and our assessment of the market.

Last edited by LeperColony; September 14th, 2016 at 02:18 PM..
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:18 PM

Gallery : 100
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

well there's definitely train-loads of click-interest, so if you retain a very good artist and "deliver a polished, high quality" product I'm sure it will do well. especially if you can reach beyond the traveller fans and out into the larger ... whatever it's called, the "card community".
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
well there's definitely train-loads of click-interest, so if you retain a very good artist and "deliver a polished, high quality" product I'm sure it will do well. especially if you can reach beyond the traveller fans and out into the larger ... whatever it's called, the "card community".
For what it's worth, I read through your card game idea. It's very different from what we're doing, but (in my opinion, anyway) there was some good stuff there.
Old September 16th, 2016, 12:30 AM

Gallery : 9
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

With ships as small as the scout ship, and as large as the merc cruiser, will there be contracts that go to their wheelhouse?

Small packages of high value items for the scout, mercenary jobs in small-scale conflicts for the merc cruiser?

mg- mt+ t5>++(**) ce fl ru+ ge !3i c- jt- au+ ls+ pi+ ta-- he++

Christopher 0301 X065A57-F S kk++ hi+ va+ dr+ vr+ vi-- A613

Duke Eneldun http://travellermap.com/world?sector...20Rim&hex=0326
Baron Overnale http://www.travellermap.com/world?se...rches&hex=1937
K.C.E.G. of Arnyl (Knight Commander of the Honorable Order of the Emperor's Guard) http://www.travellermap.com/world?sector=Deneb&hex=0930
Old September 16th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Baron

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+

This sounds interesting!

In your research about card games, did you come across one called "Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach" on Kickstarter? I pledged that, and recently received the game and would suggest that you look at what they did for good ideas. The quality of the cards, artwork, game pieces, etc it top notch and the game is fun as well.

My friends and I are big fans of tabletop games of all types, so I am interested in this, and I am sure that they would be willing to play test when you are ready to expand the testing.
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDragon View Post
With ships as small as the scout ship, and as large as the merc cruiser, will there be contracts that go to their wheelhouse?

Small packages of high value items for the scout, mercenary jobs in small-scale conflicts for the merc cruiser?
This answer will make more sense when we post a Weekly Wednesday showing contract resolution, but to try to address your question, it's "sorta."

The various ships do have different capabilities that govern which contracts they can natively complete, as well have unique ratings in the various ship based statistics in the game.

There is, naturally, a level of abstraction both regarding the ships' capabilities and contractual requirements. There are contracts both the Scout and the Mercenary Cruiser can complete. There are contracts that neither can complete.

VPs come from the contract card itself, so a contract that required a capability common to both the Scout and the Mercenary would reward both ships the same VPs. However, each ship may have bonuses or penalties unique to itself that incentivize going after one contract as opposed to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNervous View Post
This sounds interesting!

In your research about card games, did you come across one called "Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach" on Kickstarter? I pledged that, and recently received the game and would suggest that you look at what they did for good ideas. The quality of the cards, artwork, game pieces, etc it top notch and the game is fun as well.

My friends and I are big fans of tabletop games of all types, so I am interested in this, and I am sure that they would be willing to play test when you are ready to expand the testing.
I didn't see Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach, but we were mostly focused on CCGs with existing IPs, like Shadowfist.