Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old March 1st, 2013, 04:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen+Supplement Four Citizen+Supplement Four Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytePro View Post
So, you're sitting in this bar, down on your luck, trying to figure an angle on scraping some coin together before the ship gets port-locked, when this scruffy looking droid wheels over... designation G0-B-TWN. 'Gobiteen', or just 'Gobi' to those who know it - and you know it. Or, of it, at any rate. So does The Law.

This rolling pile of plasti-sheet and neuro-circuits is trouble - trouble of the capital T and the capital punishment kind. Its also the promise of credit of the tax free and clear kind...
LOL! EXACTLY!

Don't ya just love the Star Wars universe. It makes stories like that...not so cheesy and fun to play!
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:38 PM

BytePro Citizen

Glad you liked.

Prefer SW mostly before Han went and got legit.

BTW: If you haven't read them - highly recommend the Brain Daley Solo trilogy! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Daley)
Old March 1st, 2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
BTW: If you haven't read them - highly recommend the Brain Daley Solo trilogy! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Daley)
Got them. Had them for years. Never read them. I'll get around to them one day, though.

I also heard that the Corillia Trilogy is pretty good.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:15 AM

Okay, Star Wars first edition "Eight Useful Things to Remember About Gamemastering."

1. You can't learn everything at once.

2. Understand the rules and talk them over with players. If they ask you to describe something, do. Let them worry about whether or not what you describe is important.

3. Expect to extend the rules. No set of rules can be as ingenious as players. Use your common sense to handle problems that arise, and keep playing. Don't waste too much time looking up minor rules. Reserve the right to change your mind about rule judgments. "This is my ruling tonight, but after I've thought about it, I may want to change my mind."

4. Expect to be wrong sometimes. Admit it. Say, "Oops," do an instant replay on teh action if necessary, and get on with the game. Don't be a pushover, though. Sometimes somebody has to make an arbitrary judgement, and that person is you.

5. Be fair. Earn your players' trust. Players cheerfully ignore rules mistakes and hesitations, as long as they believe the gamemaster is not picking on them or playing favorites.

6. Be impartial. When you are pretending to be the villians and bad guys in your adventures, be as clever and resourceful (or bumbling and incompetent) as they would be. But when it comes to judging conflicts between characters, as gamemaster you m ust be partial to neither side.

7. Be prepared. At first, use published adventures like "Rebel Breakout" (included in the core rulebook). Study them carefully. Think about how to present the characters and events they contain and how to anticipate the reactions of your players. Later, when you design your own adventures, organize your throughs and adventure materials before your players arrive.

8. Be entertaining. Ham up your characters, try to get across the huge scope and sense of wonder that's a part of Star Wars, and make every moment as action-packed and suspense-filled as it can be.

And, this section ends with this advice....

Relax! Wing it. Rely on common sense and imagination. Don't get too hung up on making sure everything is just as it should be. Having a good time is more important than paying attention to picayune details.

Old school, baby! This is what made roleplaying GREAT in the early days.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:55 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Relax! Wing it. Rely on common sense and imagination. Don't get too hung up on making sure everything is just as it should be. Having a good time is more important than paying attention to picayune details.

Almost as often, it lead to major suckage... Some people can't keep the universe working while winging it freely. Others have a major continuity error every week. Others can't make rules tweaks and/or rules calls that don't result in major unintended consequences.

Which is why so many old school games had such long runs of modules... they were essential for "average" or "poor" GM's to pull off what the good, great, and superb GM's could do off the cuff.

Fortunately, WEG was one of those companies that wrote rather good adventures. Adventures suited for even poor GM's to be able to run the game well enough.

Futher, WEG d6 was a "one-mechanic" game. Which also makes winging it easier. Everything works with the same base mechanic. Which is, very much, NOT Old School at all.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; March 2nd, 2013 at 03:50 AM..
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Almost as often, it lead to major suckage... Some people can't keep the universe working while winging it freely. Others have a major continuity error every week. Others can't make rules tweaks and/or rules calls that don't result in major unintended consequences.
Hmm...that hasn't been my experience, even with mediocre GMs. In fact, the opposite is what I've found true--the GM that is not experienced with the game rules having to stop every other second to look up this or that detail instead of just giving it their best shot and correcting it later, if need be.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

LiamKerrington Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to LiamKerrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
Okay, Star Wars first edition "Eight Useful Things to Remember About Gamemastering."

1. You can't learn everything at once.

2. Understand the rules and talk them over with players. If they ask you to describe something, do. Let them worry about whether or not what you describe is important.

3. Expect to extend the rules. No set of rules can be as ingenious as players. Use your common sense to handle problems that arise, and keep playing. Don't waste too much time looking up minor rules. Reserve the right to change your mind about rule judgments. "This is my ruling tonight, but after I've thought about it, I may want to change my mind."

4. Expect to be wrong sometimes. Admit it. Say, "Oops," do an instant replay on teh action if necessary, and get on with the game. Don't be a pushover, though. Sometimes somebody has to make an arbitrary judgement, and that person is you.

5. Be fair. Earn your players' trust. Players cheerfully ignore rules mistakes and hesitations, as long as they believe the gamemaster is not picking on them or playing favorites.

6. Be impartial. When you are pretending to be the villians and bad guys in your adventures, be as clever and resourceful (or bumbling and incompetent) as they would be. But when it comes to judging conflicts between characters, as gamemaster you m ust be partial to neither side.

7. Be prepared. At first, use published adventures like "Rebel Breakout" (included in the core rulebook). Study them carefully. Think about how to present the characters and events they contain and how to anticipate the reactions of your players. Later, when you design your own adventures, organize your throughs and adventure materials before your players arrive.

8. Be entertaining. Ham up your characters, try to get across the huge scope and sense of wonder that's a part of Star Wars, and make every moment as action-packed and suspense-filled as it can be.

And, this section ends with this advice....

Time- or ageless. I would sunscribe to this kind of rules-catalogue anytime. There is a certain general validity to those rules - imho.

All the best!
Liam

http://www.madadventurers.com = Mad Adventurers Society
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
Time- or ageless. I would sunscribe to this kind of rules-catalogue anytime. There is a certain general validity to those rules - imho.
I would too! Absolutely!

But, you'd be amazed at the people who would argue that sort of game thinking puts too much power into the GM's hand. I've found this to be especially true with roleplayers who grew up with and only know d20 games (games based on D&D 3.0 and 3.5).

There's more of a mindset that the GM is just a judge interpreter of the rules written in the game and not a rule originator. They balk at the GM winging it and want to see where the GM's call is written in one of the many rulebooks.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:58 PM

BytePro Citizen

From a rules standpoint - the biggest obstacle to this is subtle, but ubiquitous due to the historical nature of RPG development .. the separate combat mechanic.

Combat is quite commonly treated as a tactical mini-game within an RPG - flat out encouraging power gaming and war gaming. Damage is X points. Condition Y - you're dead. Actions go from fluid narrative, to fixed time discrete simulation and constrained actions of P, D and Q (sic). In effect, RPG rules often exhibit essentially a bi-polar (sometimes schizophrenic!) design.

Of course, the biggest obstacle of all to enjoying RPGs is personalities and egos. No rulebooks can really address this. Get a gamer (Refs and Players) with a need to dominate and a 'there's only one right way' attitude and there will always be the potential for problems...
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
From a rules standpoint - the biggest obstacle to this is subtle, but ubiquitous due to the historical nature of RPG development .. the separate combat mechanic.

Combat is quite commonly treated as a tactical mini-game within an RPG - flat out encouraging power gaming and war gaming. Damage is X points. Condition Y - you're dead. Actions go from fluid narrative, to fixed time discrete simulation and constrained actions of P, D and Q (sic). In effect, RPG rules often exhibit essentially a bi-polar (sometimes schizophrenic!) design.
Multiple discrete rules mechanics don't help, indeed. Take 1889, for example: Roll (skill)d6and total, roll (skill)d6 and count successes, and 1d for stat or less are all mechanics used, as well as a fairly interesting science mechanic. That's old school rules design.

D&D had multiple discrete mechanics - Combat, thief skills, magic system, saving throws; later adding Weapon Proficiencies and non-weapon proficiences as two additional discrete mechanics. Examples in text include 1d20 stat checks, too... and 1d6 surprise checks, 2d6 morale checks...

WEG Star Wars was 80's new school rules all the way - single unified mechanic. Combat is nought but special applications of the unified mechanic.

The move to unified mechanics in the 80's was one of the biggest changes in RPG's. It made it easier for lesser GM's to improvise rules calls (because which mechanics are invoked is, from the player perspective, always the same).
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.