Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old January 13th, 2017, 12:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 3
Spartan159 Citizen+Spartan159 Citizen+
Default Jump fuel requirements

I was looking at MT jump fuel requirements, which appear at first glance, to be 5% of hull per Jump number plus 5%, vs other versions at 10% of hull per jump number.

I am curious, does anyone use the MT rate outside of MT? What kind of impact does it have? More payload and/or faster jump ranges more common? With the advent of higher drive ratings, the MT formula would allow a reasonable Jump 9 design with 50% of the Hull being fuel.

I am thinking of using the MT formula in MgT but have not decided yet.

"Each day's a gift and not a given right."
Nickleback

Viscount Horosho (Spin 2138)
Knight of Deneb, Raweh (Spin 0139)
Knight of Deneb, Grudovo (Reft 0111)

IMTU tc+ ?23 mt+ tne t20 t4 t5+ tg th mgt+ ru+ ge++ 3i+ c+ -jt+ ls pi ta he+
OTU an+ cpu- ge+ ih- j- jf+ ls- xb-
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan159 View Post
I was looking at MT jump fuel requirements, which appear at first glance, to be 5% of hull per Jump number plus 5%, vs other versions at 10% of hull per jump number.

I am curious, does anyone use the MT rate outside of MT? What kind of impact does it have? More payload and/or faster jump ranges more common? With the advent of higher drive ratings, the MT formula would allow a reasonable Jump 9 design with 50% of the Hull being fuel.

I am thinking of using the MT formula in MgT but have not decided yet.
TNE and MT use 5 x Jump Drive size for full range jump, which USUALLY is also 5*(1+Jn)%, but might not always.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan159 View Post
In MT, the maximum jump is 6, so no J9 ship would be allowed (of course, that may vary acording the ersion you use), but with 50% of the tonnage as fuel, you can easily build a ship with J4 and capacity for two consecutive jumps. This, off course, would make the rift not so important a barrier, and the Islands not such an isolated cluster, just to give you an example of the consequences...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:23 AM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

IIRC the reduced jump fuel requirement in MT was intended to balance the very high power plant fuel requirement. The ships did not carry less fuel.

MgT has rather small pp fuel requirements, reducing jump fuel too would be a bit much. As McPerth points out it would break the 3I setting a little.
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
The ships did not carry less fuel.
That was not always true.

While it was the intent (as you say), as in MT the JD was fully indepenent from the Power Plant, if you didn't overload your PP you could have a high jump ship carrying quite less fuel than in other versions.

This was rarely true for military ships, but for merchants, that don't need high maneuver nor to devote too much power to weaponry, it was. It also lead to the diferent endurance for PPs in combat/non combat days by runing your PP at the minimal output needed for non combat systems.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:40 PM

GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Initial MT designs did not address variable loads on the powerplant, so the fuel allocations are huge. Military ships, paradoxically, don't care all that much unless they are also very high jump. Merchants need cargo space, though, and the weapons load ends up having a huge effect on cargo because just one laser can add enough fuel need to knock a design from profitable to hard-scrabble.

Then the art of variable power loads was revealed in Challenge, and everything changed.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old January 13th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
IIRC the reduced jump fuel requirement in MT was intended to balance the very high power plant fuel requirement. The ships did not carry less fuel.

MgT has rather small pp fuel requirements, reducing jump fuel too would be a bit much. As McPerth points out it would break the 3I setting a little.
MT, you didn't need PP to match JDrive...

... it's perfectly reasonable to make a 2J4 MT design.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:12 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

There was at least one instance - Starship Operator's Manual - of a ship being described as entering and passing through jump space while the rest of the ship's systems were on batteries due to power plant damage. Little more than basic life support, environment and controls, I'd guess. That one has some very interesting potential ramifications, at least for MT.
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
There was at least one instance - Starship Operator's Manual - of a ship being described as entering and passing through jump space while the rest of the ship's systems were on batteries due to power plant damage. Little more than basic life support, environment and controls, I'd guess. That one has some very interesting potential ramifications, at least for MT.
In MT, the Jdrive itself only operates for 20 minutes a jump... the grid, however...

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Spartan159 Citizen+Spartan159 Citizen+

I'm rampantly stealing from every version of Traveller I can lay my grubby paws on FYI, which is why I was curious if anyone had used the fuel rates outside of an MT setting. I need to look at rift crossings a bit more I suppose, I had been thinking of ships having more payload rather than being able to double jumping. Merchants would be more interested in cargo/passenger space, and military ships would be faced with double jump capable "raiders" vs single jump battlewagons.

"Each day's a gift and not a given right."
Nickleback

Viscount Horosho (Spin 2138)
Knight of Deneb, Raweh (Spin 0139)
Knight of Deneb, Grudovo (Reft 0111)

IMTU tc+ ?23 mt+ tne t20 t4 t5+ tg th mgt+ ru+ ge++ 3i+ c+ -jt+ ls pi ta he+
OTU an+ cpu- ge+ ih- j- jf+ ls- xb-