Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
TheEngineer Citizen
Hi folks !

Inspired by Malenfant great work to set up Traveller maps which fit to real world data I started a related project.

Well, its just related, because IMTU the typical hex grid maps are really only jump (space) maps, representing jump spaces interesting attribute to appear flat (I hate flat things...).
From the very beginning of Traveller time my imagination of jump space was the one of a space, where the z-axis, meaning the axis pendicular to the galactic plane, is compressed in an exponential way. This effectivly results into a projection of some real 3D space volume on a 2D plain.
The projection is not homogenous and might even causes minor geometric distortions, when directly comparing 3D coordinates to those on the jumpspace plain.

Anyway I will start to map the TU to the real one (not the other way around), meaning that I take any Traveller system, calculate real universe x/y galactic coordinates. Using these coordinates I will query for fitting real systems in the volume up und below the galactic plane. (I use the complete Hipparcos catalogue containing around 118000 stars and Malenfants algorithm to calclate galactic coordinates for that).
I hope that there is enough data inside, which relates to the area occupied by the OTU...
The set of matched real systems will also create a kind jump space effected real space map.

My goal is to create a connection between real space and Traveller space without ripping apart the TU as we know it.

Maybe another waste of time, but its just good to practice spreadsheet torturing and rapid programming [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, what I am looking for is something like a map viewer for galaxies (yes, I know Celestia and many others, but all of those are not able to display a simple scalable "from the top view" of a galaxy). I dont want to write a program for that....
Any ideas out there ?

Regards,

The Engineer

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.