Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old December 5th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
Rerednaw Citizen
Talking 2E how much crunch aka how soon before we play?

One thing I really loved about Classic LBB 1E was you could start making characters with maybe about 5 minutes of reading some basics if you had zero experience with RPGs.

I am considering picking up Mongoose 2E. I am concerned by the hefty investment and IDK which ones you actually need (vs. the Traveller Book or Books 1-3).

But mainly I wonder about how much 'dive in and play' the system has.

Is this something we can open the book and just start? Or is the ref spending a few nights reading up on it first?

And how does it compare on crunch? Does it take traveller accounting / spreadsheets to a new level? Or does it simplify? Somewhere in between? (i.e. I pick up and throw a spear...how many steps to resolve?)

I'm splitting the "which books I need" into a separate topic.

Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerednaw View Post
One thing I really loved about Classic LBB 1E was you could start making characters with maybe about 5 minutes of reading some basics if you had zero experience with RPGs.

I am considering picking up Mongoose 2E. I am concerned by the hefty investment and IDK which ones you actually need (vs. the Traveller Book or Books 1-3).

But mainly I wonder about how much 'dive in and play' the system has.

Is this something we can open the book and just start? Or is the ref spending a few nights reading up on it first?

And how does it compare on crunch? Does it take traveller accounting / spreadsheets to a new level? Or does it simplify? Somewhere in between? (i.e. I pick up and throw a spear...how many steps to resolve?)

I'm splitting the "which books I need" into a separate topic.

Thanks!

to throw a spear? two dice rolls, max, with a no more than a half dozen modifers, most of which are consistent. rather like DnD in that regard.

in terms of "plug and Play", i'd say that really depends on your GM and how comfortable you all are at learning while playing. its not that much more complicated that classic trav, and simpler than, say, DnD 3.5/Pathfinder players handbook, so if your ref has a canned adventure to get you started (or is just Darths and Droids good at freestyling), you could sit down at play within an afternoon.

I find character gen one of the most fun parts of Traveller, anyway, due to the way it gives me so much more than DnD about my character and his life before the adventures start. To me, its a selling point.
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old December 6th, 2018, 12:40 AM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+

If you are remotely familiar with LBB 1E, it shouldn't be a stretch at all. Take advantage of the party skill options and Connections to broaden the base.

That being said, there are more skills so you may want to familiarize yourself with the skill list to see what is needed.

Also recommended, alternate dice throw for characteristics. Roll 2d6 as normal but can reroll up to (3) d6's (one or two from a pair). That will tamp down any really disappointing character rolls.

But the system is simple.

And, as stated above, the Event system will have your players getting invested right away. Do Chargen together.