Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old May 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen
When a fleet or squadron makes a jump from one system to another, do they all arrive at the same time (like in Star Wars), or do they arrive independently, within hours (or even days) of each other? In addition, do they arrive at their destination in close proximity to each other or scattered about the system?

This has major implications regarding ship design, squadron & fleet composition, as well as tactics & strategy.
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+
It seems to me that each ship will arrive at the designated system in it's own time (168 hours, plus or minus ... I forget). This leads to...

1) The ships of a task force all agree to meet at a certain location by a certain time, and then they will all set the same course to the target area from the same direction.

2) The ships of a task force trickle into a system over a period of a few days or weeks, and then set their courses so that they all arrive at the target area at the same time from different directions.

3) Someone uses a battle rider to bring a number of battle-ready ships into the area at the same time.

4) Someone else constructs the biggest, baddest fighter carrier ever, and launches a squadron of attack fighters.

IMHO: Any of the above scenarios require vast resources, intensive pre-planning, and a lot of luck.
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen
This is covered in various threads and in the Starship Operators handbook (and an issue of either Travellers' Digest or the Megatraveller Journal.

In short, for fleet manoeuvres, much longer time is spent in jump preparation, calculating vectors, establishing communiation links.

A new formula was created for time in jump for each ship which represented the much tighter jump exit. Instead of 160 hours plus or minus 48 hours we see an exit at 160 hours plus or minus 6 hours (sorry the figures are fuzzy, I don't have the reference in front of me). Enough time to marshall the fleet before a strike but not enough for a true surprise attack.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Plankowner Citizen
Don't forget that the accuracy of the jump must be considered. Jumps are accurate to 3000km, so your ships would need to calculate their emergence to be at least 6000km apart, then they will have to stay put until everyone else arrives and they can get into formation. If they move too soon, they could be at the emergence point of another ship trying to come out of Jump.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:10 PM

Sifu Blackirish Citizen
What comes to mind when I read this is that the '168 hours +/- 10%' could be commercial/civilian grade. A TL15 fleet tuned to Naval standards could cut this waaay down. 2% would probably be optimum.

I dimly recall in the "Star Fleet Spaceflight Chronology" book published in the 70's about an engineer who devised a method of using tractor beam and subspace radio linked cargo carriers to move multi-BILLION ton superconvoys. Of course, tractor beams and FTL radio is a CT no no...darn.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
Go see Aramis' answer in the Fleet thread.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen
And here is the definitive answer, quoted from DGP's Megatraveller Journal Issue 2. Joe Fugate came up with this with MWM.
Quote:
"When a group of starships know they have to arrive in unison they elect to spend significantly more time at the start computing and sharing jump vector computations. This leads to a much more accurate jump exit at the other end with the error dropping significantly.

The formula in the Starship Operator's Manual for normal jumpspace exit is:

124hrs + (2D x 6 hrs)
yielding a result of 136 - 196 hours (that is 5.7 to 8.2 days)

If double the jump preparation time is spent with all the affected ships in computer linl via tight beam communication, use the following formula instead:

167 hours = (2d x 0.1 hr)
yielding a result of 167.2 - 168.2 hours.

Most ships now arrive within minutes of each other, with the worst spread being up to 60 minutes apart (and this only happens in about 1 out of 20 jumps). Considering the vast distances found in a star system, starships arriving minutes apart would not spoil a surprise arrival.

Constant communication during the jump vector generate (sic) is essential for this to work, and double the normal vector generation time must be observed. But when getting there "on a dime" timewise is essential then this technique is the key. Most civilian vessels don't need this level of schedule precision, so they don't bother."
There we are. I would possibly add either a computing skill and navigation skill of 2 being required by at least one ship's navigator and mil-spec navigation programmes being essential.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Bob Weaver Citizen
I would think that there would be times when civilian (as in PC) ships would be that interested in travel time. In interstellar commerce, whoever gets it there first gets to sell it first. And don't you think a passenger liner would gain more business if it advertised that it can get you there in 6 days instead of 7? What about a chase/escape adventure? If the PCs are pursuing a nefarious evil-doer who makes it to the 100-dia limit ahead of them, wouldn't it be nifty if the pursuing ship pops out of jump at the other end three hours ahead of the ship they're chasing?
IMTU, I have made it possible for a HIGHLY skilled engineer to modify downwards the jumpspace exit calculation, so a ship regularly takes less time than 'normal' to transit.

Best Regards,

Bob Weaver

"As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear, nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." Aragon son of Arathorn, Isildur's heir of Gondor.

My Traveller blog
Ancient Faith in the Far Future
Knight of the order of St Ignatius of Antioch
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+
Gentlemen,

DGP's 'fleet jump' or 'squadron synchronization' rules, although welcome, are just another example of their not thinking things through. In the words of a GDW alumnus; They never quit their day jobs.

Knowing the duration of a jump to within 60 minutes accuracy BEFORE you initiate that jump opens up far too many cans of worms in the Official Traveller Universe. Among the many problems it creates, you can now aim a near-c KKM through jump space to impact on a planet. Near-c rocks are enough of a headache already without having them pop out of jump space at the 100D limit.

Also, as Mr. Weaver points, the benefits derived by civilians from knowing their jump's duration before they initiate jump are equally numerous.

While I gladly accepted DGP's idea of a 60 minute 'squadron synch' window, indeed I had something like it IMTU beforehand, I applied the 'suadron synch' in a slightly different way.

IMTU, a squadron can synchronize its arrival in the same manner DGP suggests and the vessels involved in that synchronization will arrive in the destination system within minutes relative to each other. The duration of the jump is still determined via the 168 +/- 10% formula. Once the squadron arrival time is determined, the squadron's members' individual arrival times are then each scattered around the squadron arrival time within DGP's suggested 60 minute window. For that I used (2D - 7) x 0.1hr.

Have fun,
Bill
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

daltoncalford Citizen
The fact that traveller keeps it's inertial energy over the course of a jump, always had the threat of long distance jump torpedoes. 50,000 dton iron ore vessels with a jump escape boat for the crew to leave the ship just as they leave jump space, would be perfect for taking out ground installations and high-ports. The nuclear winter caused by having that much mass hit a planet would effectively destroy that systems ability to support the enemy navy.

No matter how much firepower is pumped into the incoming ship, it would do little to change the incoming ships vector. (too much mass/inertial velocity)

IMTU I dealt with this by having the ship keep its velocity, but, with a random direction. This way black globe ship tactics are not effective, but so are the jump based dead weight bombing runs.

There are alot of things in the OTU that was never fully thought out. Simple things like using gravity as a weapon, it would be devastating, but never applied in the OTU.

In comes down to the ref and how the ref wants to apply the rules of his/her universe. I like alot of DGP's stuff, and even if they kept their day jobs, what they produced was pretty amazing. I may only use 30% of it, but, well, that is still an amazing amount of material.

best regards

Dalton