Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen
Default Tweak for chargen #2 changing careers

So, your not being forced out of your career but your thinking of changing careers. Why not apply for a job before quitting your current one?

My tweak is that characters can apply for a new career while still in a career. This is an additional set of rules and not a modification to current rules.

- Character must meet the prior service requirements and make the required roll(s). (Required rolls are similar to qualification/enlistment roll with additional DMs possible)
- The character can stay in their current career if the application is not accepted or even if the character changes their mind and turns down the acceptance. (Maybe you got that commission you've been wanting)
- You have the option, if the application is accepted, to notify superiors and tender your resignation effective at the end of this term so that the character can muster out and start their new career.

Possible additional rules for Applications
1) Applying for a career the character has already been in
- Perhaps allow applying for a career that the character has already been in.
- Perhaps this is only allowed if the character left voluntarily.
- Perhaps you can ignore the -DM for previous careers. Having been in this career already is not a bad thing.
2) The acceptance roll
- Perhaps this is the same value as the qualification roll, perhaps it is different.
- Perhaps there is a negative DM since the character may not be applying in person.
- Perhaps there is a positive DM if the character exceeds the prior service requirements.
- Perhaps there is a positive DM if the character has acquired skills that are beneficial in new career.
- Perhaps some form of bribery or carouse skill can be used when applying.
3) Applying to multiple careers in one term
- Perhaps limit it to one application allowed per term.
- Perhaps more applications are allowed per term but there are penalties.
- Perhaps the character spends their time researching careers and working on applications so they miss out on promotion opportunities but get to file an additional application. Allow one additional application but either no promotion roll is made or their is a negative DM.
- Perhaps the character is so busy spending their time researching careers and working on applications that they don't concentrate on their career and fail to gain any new skill. Allow additional applications but no skill roll is made for this term. (I'm thinking two additional applications for this.)
- If you include all the possible applications it comes out to one application per year.
4) Application AND Qualification
- Perhaps the character can still leave their old career at the end of their term and try to qualify for a new career - just not one they applied for.
- Perhaps the character can still leave their old career at the end of their term and try to qualify for the same career they applied for and were denied. Maybe the character is less likely to get another interview and there will be a negative DM when trying to qualify for the same career.
5) Applying for the same career more than once
- Perhaps you can keep applying for the same career once each term.
6) Requirements
- Perhaps you are not required to meet the prior service requirements but there is a DM
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGamer View Post
So, your not being forced out of your career but your thinking of changing careers. Why not apply for a job before quitting your current one?

My tweak is that characters can apply for a new career while still in a career. This is an additional set of rules and not a modification to current rules.

- Character must meet the prior service requirements and make the required roll(s). (Required rolls are similar to qualification/enlistment roll with additional DMs possible)
- The character can stay in their current career if the application is not accepted or even if the character changes their mind and turns down the acceptance. (Maybe you got that commission you've been wanting)
- You have the option, if the application is accepted, to notify superiors and tender your resignation effective at the end of this term so that the character can muster out and start their new career.

Possible additional rules for Applications
1) Applying for a career the character has already been in
- Perhaps allow applying for a career that the character has already been in.
- Perhaps this is only allowed if the character left voluntarily.
- Perhaps you can ignore the -DM for previous careers. Having been in this career already is not a bad thing.
2) The acceptance roll
- Perhaps this is the same value as the qualification roll, perhaps it is different.
- Perhaps there is a negative DM since the character may not be applying in person.
- Perhaps there is a positive DM if the character exceeds the prior service requirements.
- Perhaps there is a positive DM if the character has acquired skills that are beneficial in new career.
- Perhaps some form of bribery or carouse skill can be used when applying.
3) Applying to multiple careers in one term
- Perhaps limit it to one application allowed per term.
- Perhaps more applications are allowed per term but there are penalties.
- Perhaps the character spends their time researching careers and working on applications so they miss out on promotion opportunities but get to file an additional application. Allow one additional application but either no promotion roll is made or their is a negative DM.
- Perhaps the character is so busy spending their time researching careers and working on applications that they don't concentrate on their career and fail to gain any new skill. Allow additional applications but no skill roll is made for this term. (I'm thinking two additional applications for this.)
- If you include all the possible applications it comes out to one application per year.
4) Application AND Qualification
- Perhaps the character can still leave their old career at the end of their term and try to qualify for a new career - just not one they applied for.
- Perhaps the character can still leave their old career at the end of their term and try to qualify for the same career they applied for and were denied. Maybe the character is less likely to get another interview and there will be a negative DM when trying to qualify for the same career.
5) Applying for the same career more than once
- Perhaps you can keep applying for the same career once each term.
6) Requirements
- Perhaps you are not required to meet the prior service requirements but there is a DM
I don't know of any generating system which allows a character to have more than one career. Can one even apply for a career above the 0 term age (18)? But if you can, it seems logical that you could apply for one career while in another, especially if the two don't know about each other.
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
I don't know of any generating system which allows a character to have more than one career.
I thought it was an option in MGT? Guess I'm misremembering. It must be fairly common in house rules, though. I know I've allowed it.

Hans
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancke2 View Post
I thought it was an option in MGT? Guess I'm misremembering. It must be fairly common in house rules, though. I know I've allowed it.

Hans
It's core in TNE, T4, MGT, and allowed in T20.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton
Cool

Quote:
I don't know of any generating system which allows a character to have more than one career. Can one even apply for a career above the 0 term age (18)? But if you can, it seems logical that you could apply for one career while in another, especially if the two don't know about each other.
Guess you have never looked at Mongoose Traveller or Traveller:The New Era.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:41 AM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:

And even in CT it was allowed, to the Vargr (AM:3).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.