Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old January 21st, 2018, 05:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
D20 Traveller, and 3.5 in general, are
PC's, major NPCs: 4d6k3 Atts
NPC's: 3d6k3 atts
Tasks 1d20+mods vs TN
Yep and in most cases a conversion of one sort or another can be done once you map out data points. Even Task systems like D20 vs Traveller. Before mods, D20 is a flat roll, Traveller 2d6 bell curve. A straight numeric conversion based solely on percentage wouldn't work well in either direction.
BUT
As I have posted elsewhere find something else if possible. If you go by the narrative/flavor text/buzzwords, then tasks and bonuses/penalties you find something workable. Given that:

d20 Systems
DC Difficulty
0 Very easy
5 Easy
10 Average
15 Tough
20 Challenging
25 Formidable
30 Heroic
35 Superheroic
40 Nearly impossible

and
Traveller
DM Difficulty
+6 Simple
+4 Easy
+2 Routine
+0 Average
-2 Difficult
-4 Very Difficult
-6 Formidable

You could line things up like so:
DC DM Difficulty
(-5) +6 Simple
0 +4 Easy
5 +2 Routine
10 +0 Average
15 -2 Difficult
20 -4 Very Difficult
25 -6 Formidable
30 (-8) (Heroic)
35 (-10) (Superheroic)
40 (-12) (Nearly impossible)
Old January 21st, 2018, 05:23 PM

This reveals that a +/- 5 in d20 may be thematically equivalent to a +/-2 in Traveller, sooo... bonuses can be converted. By choice, I did rounding towards zero as one thematic goal is to intentionally give Traveller "ordinary people" characters a more even footing with "epic fantasy heroes" and vice versa when it comes to tech vs magic and the inevitable desire to cross the two.
d20 Traveller
-10 - -9 -4
-8 - -7 -3
-6 --4 -2
-3 - -2 -1
-1,0,1 +0
2-3 +1
4-6 +2
7-8 +3
9-11 +4
12-13 +5
14-16 +6
17-18 +7
19-21 +8
22-23 +9
Old February 3rd, 2018, 02:48 PM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

After talking with the DM (who is running a 2nd Edition campaign), we came up with a few simple conversion rules.

1) All AD&D characters port into Traveller as TL-1 Barbarians.

2) All magic items lose their magic. Potions and material components devolve into their discrete ingredients; scrolls become mere scrolls; artifacts become mere curiosities; relics become morbid curiosities; and, by virtue of the quality of their making alone, magical weapons retain their damage and "to hit" bonuses (not for special circumstances, though), while magical armor blocks a number of damage points equal to their bonuses (in addition to their usual Traveller armor effects).

3) Attributes convert easily. Simply divide the AD&D attribute by 1.5, and round the result off to the nearest integer. The following table shows the results.

Code:
AD&D:   	Trav.:
    0       	 0	For "Zero Charisma" only (converts to "SOC-0").
 1 or 2  	 1	Minimum value of character attributes (except SOC)
    3       	 2
 4 or 5  	 3
    6       	 4
 7 or 8  	 5
    9       	 6
10 or 11	 7	Mean value of character attributes
   12      	 8
13 or 14	 9
   15      	10 (A)
16 or 17	11 (B)
   18      	12 (C)	Maximum unmodified character attribute
18/01-75	13 (D)	Exceptional Strength (for AD&D Fighter Types)
18/76-90	14 (E)	Exceptional Strength (for AD&D Fighter Types)
18/91-100	15 (F)	Exceptional Strength (for AD&D Fighter Types)
4) For those AD&D players who simply cannot do without their precious "Hit Points", simply add up the Traveller attributes of Strength, Dexterity, and Endurance. When their "Hit Points" drop to 2/3s (or less) of the maximum value, take away their attack bonuses for Strength and Dexterity. When the "Hit Points" drop to 1/3 (or less) of the maximum value, the character goes unconscious. When the "Hit Points" drop to 0 (or less) the character is dead.

5) Of course, fair warning should be given that in Traveller, there is no "Reincarnation" or "Resurrection" -- the characters would have to return to their magical realm with the body for any hope of bringing their dead characters back to life through magical means.

6) There are no "Saving Throws", except for "Poison, Radiation, and Intoxication" - Roll 2D against END or less to succeed.

So ... without getting too deep into the meta-philosophies of role-playing games, the essence should simply be "For the fun of it".
Old February 3rd, 2018, 05:52 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Personally, I would rather see it go the other way, with a Traveller party or force universe jump to the D&D Universe. Have you ever read any of A Bertram Chandler's book on Kinsolving Planet, where anything can happen, and usually does. I am trying for that type of area in my Piper Out Rim Sector. Odd things happen out near the Rim, and odd things drift in from Elsewhere.
Do you have a security clearance? Sept. 15 Blog Post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 4th, 2018, 04:11 PM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Personally, I would rather see it go the other way, with a Traveller party or force universe jump to the D&D Universe...
Back in the 1980s, I ran an AD&D campaign that took place about 20 years after the USS Defiant was drawn through an interphase rift from Tholian space into a stable orbit above the world of Greyhawk. There were psionic “Desert Elves” that could drop a foe with a single pinch to the neck, “Imperial Half-Orcs” that wielded batleths, and blue-skinned “Ice-Men” that were most comfortable in sub-zero temperatures. Then there were the “Feds” that seemingly appeared and disappeared at will in columns of shimmering light.

Clarke’s Law was in full effect.
Old February 4th, 2018, 05:39 PM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
There is a magic system.

Mages get a magic skill.

The magic skill does whatever the referee decides it does

It's actually a very versatile and freeform system, I think the designers of Mage and Ars Magica may have been influenced by it
Hum, that makes more sense than it should.
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Personally, I would rather see it go the other way, with a Traveller party or force universe jump to the D&D Universe.
Been done. That's what Traveller D20 is for

It would have been a better match if they used D20 Modern. as far as power levels and lethality. d20 Modern is a closer match. But d20 Modern SRD, specifically d20 Future, was not out or "proven" viable when T20 was published to hook the d20 crowd.
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:53 PM

Feats and Special Abilities can be granted either as a benefit of rank or selection of Advanced Training during character generation. Mongoose had done this for some things in Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog books as a choice for "Special Training". Go pull up the d20 SRD's Feats and compare the Special Techniques in the various Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog books.

My conversion from d20 has the "Signature Abilities" of classes as a Rank benefits. So Bards get Bardic Knowledge as their Rank 0 Ability, Barbarians their Rage. Bardic Music could be a Special Training. Spellcasting definitely is.

Bardic Knowledge: A bard may make a special bardic knowledge check with a bonus equal to his Terms as a Bard + INT modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the bard has Social Sciences (History) 2 or higher, he gains a +1 bonus on this check.)
A successful bardic knowledge check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. A bard may not take 7 or 12; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

Difficulty Type of Knowledge
Average (+0) Common, known by at least a substantial minority drinking; common legends of the local population.
Very Difficult (-4) Uncommon but available, known by only a few people legends.
Formidable (-6) Obscure, known by few, hard to come by.
Heroic (-8) Extremely obscure, known by very few, possibly forgotten by most who once knew it, possibly known only by those who don’t understand the significance of the knowledge.

Rage (Ex): A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +3 bonus to Strength, a +3 bonus to Endurance, and a +1 for DM for morale checks, but opponents receive a +1 DM to hit him. If the Barbarian is damaged and loses Strength or Endurance, the increased points are removed first. While raging, a barbarian cannot make skill checks which normally allow DEX, INT, EDU or SOC DMs except for Athletics, attacks or intimidating opponents or any activity which requires more than a significant action to complete (such as aiming), nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use techniques known as long as they do not violate the above. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Endurance modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (see Cepheus Engine pg 97).

Last edited by Nathan Brazil; February 4th, 2018 at 07:18 PM..
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
Yes, the original Rosetta Stone of character conversions. That was what got me started on conversion. Marc did not put in a Magic system in his write up for characters though.

There was also a product I picked up called DataCon that did side by side mapping of stat to stat. Each page consisted of a chart with a "stat" with a common evocative name, values in each column consisted of name in one system or another (e.g. Constitution, Endurance) and values incremented as rows. To convert go to page with you stat, find the correct column for your game go down the rows till you find your value and shift to the other game's column.
I remember DataCon. It was by The Armory. Wisdom translated to Psionic Potential.

Also remember Thieves' World. Pretty sure that Traveller had a magic skill.
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:22 AM

A skill yes, but no specifics on how to use it, limits, spell descriptions and so on. That was why I say no system