Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 19th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
Doc listens and smiles in places, to him the ship seems well lived in at one time. Now it looks and smells like a stadium after a huge sports event where everyone got carried away but the trash.

Doc does not looked to surprised at the state the Sick Bay is in after hearing the Captain's short tell of the ship the day before. He actually looks kind of excited at seeing the robot gurney. Listening to Max describe it, Doc actually takes some time to look at it, 'Not in terrible bad shape for what it is. Looked like it has missed several annual inspections. By the serial number it is one of the early models. Probably needs a few connections cleaned up, updated software and a good healthy cleaning or two.'
Straightening up and checking out the drug storage lockers, 'I not an expert by any means but I do know a bit of robotics, and mechanical/electrical medical repair.'

'Wow, it looks like someone had a party and didn't leave anything behind.'

Commenting on the drug storage lockers, there appears to be more dust in them than in the sick bay itself.

As they head back toward galley, Doc waves at the two crew quarters closest to the passenger area, 'Are either one of these spoken for yet? If I decide to join up, I would like one of these two rooms since I will need to close to the sick bay if duty calls.'

As they get back to the galley area, 'Well Chief Engineer and Chief Steward, fix me a black coffee so I can see the quality of the ship. I hear tell in the Navy that the ship functions only as good as it's coffee tastes.'

While sitting and waiting for Max to get some coffee for him, smiling, 'I remember one 1st officer telling that the coffee on his ship was so good and so thick that the Quartermaster often used it as engine oil substitute. Said it lubed both required parts to make the Navy function efficiently.'
Hampton enters the lounge, "Sorry Doc, I had to deal with some paperwork so we could take on this current shipment and some officials just love their fine print. Not my favorite part of the job but someone has to sign off on it all."

Pouring himself a cup of coffee and sitting at the table, Hampton continues,"The coffee on the ship isn't too bad as such goes - I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself so my palate isn't terribly sophisticated along those lines, but nobody complains so maybe its pretty good. Now that you've seen the ship and our-needing-some-TLC medbay what do you think? If you do sign on just know that, within reason and costs, you'll have your say in how the medbay is run and stocked. Same with medical procedures with regards to crew and passengers."

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

'Well, first,' taking a sip of coffee and smiling at Max, 'I need to hear a little story. One that goes like this, we set sail for the distant star, the blue one on the right, and once we get there we be emperors.'

Laughing, 'Ok, never mind, I think you know what I am wanting to hear. What's this ship's plan, how are we, if I join, going to make money, let alone live another day.'

'Nothing complicated or highly detail but a bit more than just fly here and we are rich.'

Sips a bit more coffee and sniffs the air a bit, 'I do say, it does smell like someone has been baking in this area recently.'

It is obvious that Doc is interested but is needing those bits of details to help him make up his mind.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:11 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

"I haven't been to this region before, but have heard all the usual wild tales of lost colonies, barbarians howling in the dark, and man-eating aliens waiting to snatch a crew right out of jump. Not that I believe more than a tenth of that, not that anyone would, but still it is a region that is well enough off the beaten track that I think a man could make a name for himself. Maybe someday even carve out a place for himself among those howling wilds"

"And, I'm a curious sort who believes in wonder among the stars so I want to see what really is out there, and find a place for myself. Not some empire but maybe build up to a few more ships and a comfortable trade moving cargo and passengers with decent protection through the rougher patches. There are those Reavers to contend with so we are well armed, and things might get rough, and a lot of blank spots on the map with "Here Be Tygers" and a stellar class being all you get to show that something is there. I want to see what."

"Prudence dictates we should have a good, qualified crew for a journey like this, and she tells me that a good doctor is paramount. That's where you come in. I can't guarantee an easy cruise, nor that anyone won't try to put a few holes in us. But it's been tried before and I'm still here. I can't guarantee you'll end up rich instead of stewed in some Reaver's pot - but we won't take any chances we don't think we'll have a better than even chance of surviving and making a profit out of."

"That's about as plain as I can make it right now. What do say?"

Old August 19th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen
Default Doc Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post

"That's about as plain as I can make it right now. What do say?"
'Well, I do not like the idea of Reaver stew even if I am not the main course.'

'As for profit, being the richest guy in the neighborhood is not always what is best. I know many of good people who were wealthy in life with hardly a cred to their name.'

'If I hired on, I want a ship share at least and paid as a Ship's Doctor with double duty pay as either Cargo Handler or Ship's Boat Pilot.'

With a slight wave of his hand, 'I would want to be a ship's officer but not the highest or middlest of rank. I kind of got use to being an officer in the Navy and if I am back on a ship, I still want that small privilege even with the headaches it brings.'

'As for why I should get a ship's share just being your doctor,'
shrugging a bit, 'let me start by saying I can come equipped with just about all you will need on this 'into the dark unknown, where there be tigers'. '

'You have no medicines, an outdated sickbay including auto medic systems, and not any capacity to handle more than one emergency/patient at a time.'

'Now, each one of those by themselves is not a bad thing but all together you are just sliding down a razor blade into a pool of alcohol. If the blade doesn't get you, the alcohol will in the end.'

'Here is counter proposal to your dilemma; First, I can buy a large quantity of medicines at a wholesale price, better than you can via a broker, since I am a certified and registered Doctor of Medicine. And I would be willing to do such at my cost, with a split of profit with the ship.'
'Second, I can obtain a Model 317 Advance Base that could be stored in the cargo bay that could be used not only for numerous patients but if need be we can set it up on ground as a temporary base or worse comes to worse, you could take on a gang of skiffs at a rate just above low berth. Plus, I have had my eye on Portable SciLab about the same size as the Model 317, that would not only allow me or another scientist to evaluate things, I can produce medicines and chemical compounds as needed. Well mainly medicines but it can do more with in the right hands.'
'Third, I do have some people skills, besides my award winning bedside manner. Having a Doctor that can find his way around in the dark alleys could be very helpful, specially in areas where the law is not normally found.'
'Finally, though not listed in my resume, I do know a small bit about robots, mechanical/electrical primarily with medical equipment and I can brew up some really decent batches of beer, ale, mead and Everclear.'

Pausing a bit, as it obvious that Doc was pacing himself as to not talk too fast.

'Now, its your turn to speak and me to listen. What say you?' with a slight chuckling as he drinks down the rest of his coffee.
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
instead of stewed in some Reaver's pot
These are NOT Firefly/Serenity "Reavers", guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
Then we have the Reavers! Don't think of insane-murdering-cannibals as in Firefly/Serenity. These Reavers are more along the lines of space pirates, although the truly large Reaver gangs ruled whole planets and sent fleets to attack and rob other planets. A better analogy is the Space Vikings from H. Beam Piper's book of the same name.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
[Said in my best "chastised Jayne" voice: "Well, just because they're pirates doesn't mean they can't be cannibals."]
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
[OOC: Even in the rumors and legends told in spacer bars far from any actual Reavers?]
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Sips a bit more coffee and sniffs the air a bit, 'I do say, it does smell like someone has been baking in this area recently.'
Max wasn't a Navy Liaison for nothing. As soon as the captain arrived Max started working on a plan B to help close the deal and quietly slipped off to the galley ... some flour, sugar, almond extract ... soon they are in the oven.

Quote:
"I can't guarantee you'll end up rich instead of stewed in some Reaver's pot - but we won't take any chances we don't think we'll have a better than even chance of surviving and making a profit out of."
Quote:
Max rolls his eyes in the galley as he hears snippets of the conversation and yet another reference to the wild tales about 'Reavers'. "Don't they know that people are too greasy to make good eating" he whispers to himself and chuckles at the traditional Reavers Deep response to some half-drunk spacer that asks about the old wives tales.

Quote:
'Now, its your turn to speak and me to listen. What say you?' with a slight chuckling as he drinks down the rest of his coffee.
As if on que, Max emerges from the galley with a plate filled with hot, fresh almond smelling 'Bear Claws' in one hand and a fresh pot of coffee in the other. "Infinite possibilities." is all he says as he sets both on the table, refills their cups and pours himself a cup of coffee.

Last edited by atpollard; August 20th, 2013 at 10:35 AM..
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
[OOC: Even in the rumors and legends told in spacer bars far from any actual Reavers?]
Yeah..like he said. There has to have been some horror stories of some kind about Reaver atrocities to get blown out of proportion around the campfire. In any case Hampton wouldn't mean that literally.

Old August 20th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:

'As for profit, being the richest guy in the neighborhood is not always what is best. I know many of good people who were wealthy in life with hardly a cred to their name.'

'If I hired on, I want a ship share at least and paid as a Ship's Doctor with double duty pay as either Cargo Handler or Ship's Boat Pilot.'

With a slight wave of his hand, 'I would want to be a ship's officer but not the highest or middlest of rank. I kind of got use to being an officer in the Navy and if I am back on a ship, I still want that small privilege even with the headaches it brings.'

'As for why I should get a ship's share just being your doctor,'
shrugging a bit, 'let me start by saying I can come equipped with just about all you will need on this 'into the dark unknown, where there be tigers'. '

'You have no medicines, an outdated sickbay including auto medic systems, and not any capacity to handle more than one emergency/patient at a time.'

'Now, each one of those by themselves is not a bad thing but all together you are just sliding down a razor blade into a pool of alcohol. If the blade doesn't get you, the alcohol will in the end.'

'Here is counter proposal to your dilemma; First, I can buy a large quantity of medicines at a wholesale price, better than you can via a broker, since I am a certified and registered Doctor of Medicine. And I would be willing to do such at my cost, with a split of profit with the ship.'
'Second, I can obtain a Model 317 Advance Base that could be stored in the cargo bay that could be used not only for numerous patients but if need be we can set it up on ground as a temporary base or worse comes to worse, you could take on a gang of skiffs at a rate just above low berth. Plus, I have had my eye on Portable SciLab about the same size as the Model 317, that would not only allow me or another scientist to evaluate things, I can produce medicines and chemical compounds as needed. Well mainly medicines but it can do more with in the right hands.'
'Third, I do have some people skills, besides my award winning bedside manner. Having a Doctor that can find his way around in the dark alleys could be very helpful, specially in areas where the law is not normally found.'
'Finally, though not listed in my resume, I do know a small bit about robots, mechanical/electrical primarily with medical equipment and I can brew up some really decent batches of beer, ale, mead and Everclear.'

Pausing a bit, as it obvious that Doc was pacing himself as to not talk too fast.

"How much are we talking about for the lab and advanced base, and how much space are they going to take up in my hold? Though if they do take up a reasonable amount of space I suppose we could recoup the costs by making them available (for a reasonable price) to folks on some worlds who don't have access to such things - are you willing to take on such a project? I can't have the space taken up for hobbies; it has to at least pay for itself somehow."

"If that condition can be met then I'll meet your wage requirements and you can go pick out your quarters and arrange for the gear you need."

Closed Thread