Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old November 5th, 2020, 07:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
It is still not 'you' that wakes up.

It is a copy with the memories and personality that thinks it is you, but it isn't.
That is a philosophical debate for in-universe or IRL. As far as I am concerned, it is new playing piece for the RPG.
Old November 5th, 2020, 08:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
That is a philosophical debate
No, it isn't a philosophical debate. It is reality. If I create a copy of you while YOU are alive then say YOU are going to be terminated but no worries as you will be alive as your copy is alive you WILL reject that as not being the REAL situation.
Old November 6th, 2020, 02:21 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Very nicely put.
Old November 6th, 2020, 03:12 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Very nicely put.

Thanks, use of reductio ad absurdum sometimes does the trick.
Old November 6th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Is it ok if I borrow your quote when discussing such things with Eclipse Phase and Altered carbon fans? I will credit you as the original proponent of the argument that destroys their misconceptions
Old November 6th, 2020, 04:51 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Is it ok if I borrow your quote when discussing such things with Eclipse Phase and Altered carbon fans? I will credit you as the original proponent of the argument that destroys their misconceptions
Of course but no need to credit. BTW, you might want to rewrite as the wording is clumsy in the last sentence, using the "you" pronoun a bit too much.
Old November 6th, 2020, 07:44 PM

Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
That is a philosophical debate for in-universe or IRL. As far as I am concerned, it is new playing piece for the RPG.
Well in this case the original piece was never played, it is his back story, it has the same effect as a prior career, he gets the advantage of youth while at the same time having lots of skills with all those career terms he had or remembers he had. Since no one was playing the original character his memories were copied from,, no one has their character die.
Old November 6th, 2020, 07:51 PM

Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
No, it isn't a philosophical debate. It is reality. If I create a copy of you while YOU are alive then say YOU are going to be terminated but no worries as you will be alive as your copy is alive you WILL reject that as not being the REAL situation.
well in this case the person who was copied died of natural causes, so copying him did not kill him, he was only dead for a short while before the froze him, if they did not freeze him, he would still be dead, he lived a full life, had children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, so his life was not cut short, and now several thousand years later we create a new person with his memories and experiences, because he has those memories, he thinks he is the old person, he looks just the way he did during World War II, or so he remembers anyway, he is going to act and behave like that long dead person, and because of those memories, he thinks he is that person.
Old November 6th, 2020, 08:14 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
well in this case the person who was copied died of natural causes, so copying him did not kill him,
Irrelevant to my argument. I didn't argue what you are posting about.