Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Far Trader > Public Area

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Why did you have to rush?
We had a pretty tight timeline to get the trailer into the local competition we were entering it in, and I needed to make sure we had time set aside for post production. There were also some scheduling issues with some of the actors.

Quote:
For me, I guess this is how a Traveller series/movie would manifest itself. Stylewise I'm not sure why, but I always pictured something a bit more colorful. This felt like James Bond in space to me. Not a bad thing mind you, but there it is.
This brings up one of the points for me that I was concerned about- Everybody's TU is a little different, and I'm betting very few of us see the Traveller setting exactly the same way. It's like the Plato's Cave metaphor. With any project like this, one has to go in with the understanding that not everyone is going to agree that "It's Traveller". Frankly, I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who have told me it looks like Traveller!

Quote:
Well, these are professional actors, except for the megacorporation guy (either that or he's just flat) and maybe one or two others, so you got respectable performances out of them.
Most of those guys are actually from my gaming group- the most experience they've had has been around the gaming table, which was actually a liability- the tend to play their characters in a way other than what I was looking for in the trailer (and what I'm hoping to get in the series)
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

How can someone become a member of the production crew? What are the minimum qualifications?

For instance, if someone has training as a Production Assistant, experience in civic theatre, and both training and experience (30+ years) in the electronics industry, what would his or her chances be? What if this hypothetical person lives in Orange Country, California ... how much of a commute would be involved?

Just asking...
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keklas Rekobah View Post
How can someone become a member of the production crew? What are the minimum qualifications?

For instance, if someone has training as a Production Assistant, experience in civic theatre, and both training and experience (30+ years) in the electronics industry, what would his or her chances be? What if this hypothetical person lives in Orange Country, California ... how much of a commute would be involved?

Just asking...
I appreciate the question- I've kind of had to cajole people into participating, but now that people are seeing the trailer I'm getting a lot more interest from people.

To be honest, I'd have to think a bit about requirements- up until now the only real requirement is the willingness to commit to the project and not flake out.

Location is a big thing though- we're all in the pacific northwest. About two hours north of Seattle to be exact. I've been presuming that it would be impractical for most out-of-towners to be involved.

Now, we've been planning to make use of the "visual comms" idea to have dialog segments happen on-screen, as if through the computer terminal. In this case we can use actors any where in the world as long as they have a camera and an actor. I've been kind of making the presumption this works, but we haven't really done it in practice so it's hard to say if it works or not.

Propmaking would be a very reasonable boon for someone from outside the area. I've been 100% out-of-pocket on this, but if there was a propmaker willing to pitch in it would lighten the load considerably.

I've said all along that if we had a machinist who had access to a machine shop we could produce all kinds of cool stuff, props etc.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron Gredlocke View Post

Most of those guys are actually from my gaming group- the most experience they've had has been around the gaming table, which was actually a liability- the tend to play their characters in a way other than what I was looking for in the trailer (and what I'm hoping to get in the series)
So you game with actors (save for one of two). Cool. Reminds me of some jerks I gamed with a couple of years back.

Regarding the flavor; it depends on what style you're going for. To me I get the sense that you just wanted to put together a trailer. Otherwise I don't detect a theme here. Not even stylistically. It's just a bunch of shots strewn together. The shots are good, but I didn't detect any kind of visual theme, just a story.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
So you game with actors (save for one of two). Cool. Reminds me of some jerks I gamed with a couple of years back.
Not really. None of those people are actors. There's a corrections officer, a school teacher, a couple of office workers. One was in TV production. I suppose we can call them all actors now.

Quote:
Regarding the flavor; it depends on what style you're going for. To me I get the sense that you just wanted to put together a trailer. Otherwise I don't detect a theme here. Not even stylistically. It's just a bunch of shots strewn together. The shots are good, but I didn't detect any kind of visual theme, just a story.
You're absolutely correct. I had sort of a script and an idea of the flow, but we whomped up most of those scenes on location and tied them together with the voiceover. Since I've never made any sort of film prior to the trailer, I'm still very much learning how to do it, developing a visual style or theme is more likely to happen as I develop more experience- at least I presume so.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Then we'll call them folks who've had training in the craft.

I always wanted to get something sci-fi-ish off the ground. I thought Traveller might be a good start, but live action never really appealed to me. I like magmagmag's approach.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen

Two hours north of Seattle? What, around Bellingham? Much further north and you're in Canada.

It looks very good, and TNE was always my favourite of the OTU settings.

The muzzle blast of the gauss pistol would be better as a large, bright spark, I would think. I like the look at the gauss pistol, and it's not recognizably a nerf gun.
Old September 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Baeron Gredlocke Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Two hours north of Seattle? What, around Bellingham? Much further north and you're in Canada.
It is exactly Bellingham, in fact.

Quote:
It looks very good, and TNE was always my favourite of the OTU settings.
That's excellent to hear!

Quote:
The muzzle blast of the gauss pistol would be better as a large, bright spark, I would think. I like the look at the gauss pistol, and it's not recognizably a nerf gun.
I think you're right about the spark- In fact, I've already re-cooked the effect to be closer to that
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen

Huh. My father-in-law lives in Bellingham.

I look forward to seeing your next efforts, and it's good to see someone tapping into the vast Traveller milieu for film-making ideas.
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Been to Seattle. Beautiful, green. But also filled with a lot of mental patients. Or so my girlfriend at the time observed.