Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Bestiary

Bestiary Submit your favorite original creatures for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old January 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
sid6.7 Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by TheEngineer:
I considered splitting to describe the ability to release a fully "working" organism. just like splitting of a paramecium.
But perhaps with some modification of DNA, so a kind of inperfect copy.

Cloning should be considered to aim a "perfect" copy.

Maybe I should add "genetically engineered" to stress an artifical aspect.
But what if a species is naturally able to actively modify the result of a reproduction ?
Would be highly adaptable, wouldnt it ?
Like "uh, another iceage coming. Prehaps my next children should have fur" [img]smile.gif[/img]
okay understand...maybe "cognant evolution" would be a better "natural word"?
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
TheEngineer Citizen
"Cognant evolution" !
Sound pretty good. I will note that [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Gallery : 0
Maladominus Citizen
If I remember from undergraduate Biology class.... the official term for "splitting" would be binary fission.

Of course, that term is usually applied to tiny single-cellular bacterial lifeforms. I'm not sure it actually works for larger creatures. Does it?
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

archhealer Citizen
Send a message via AIM to archhealer
Well, provided the mechanisms were geared for it, there's not reason why not. Although, for really complex organisms, it's very likely that the 'clone' wouldn't so much split off, as for an embryonic tissue 'pod', like an egg or something, to develope from identical genetic information and then grow independantly of the 'parent' organism, either internally or externally. But yeah, splitting can work for complex organisms just as well as simple ones.

The trick is to remember that organisms which use splitting as their primary means of reproduction, usually take a lot longer to evolve any fixed traits. However, when they do, they tend to speciate much more quickly, sometimes in single generation.

Most simple organisms make up for the lack of mutation rate by having massive reproductive rates, allowing them to produce many more generations in the same span of time as most more complex organisms, so overall, they're about equal. Higher organisms, like vertabrates, would have an appallingly slow rate of mutation if they cloned, so a species would be basically stagnant in that ragard.
GM--\"Ok, you\'re firing the tank\'s pulse laser at the door you want to open?\"<br />Player--\"Oh god no, that\'s insane, you\'re right. I\'ll pile those propane tanks against the door and shoot them with my RAM launcher.\"
Old August 16th, 2019, 11:20 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

My apologies for bumping this thread, but reading it did get me to do a bit of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladominus View Post
I was wondering if there is any kind of software or website that lets me create a detailed ORIGINAL alien race, along with traits, unique personality, anatomy, etc. Something like a "Random Alien Generator"

You know what everyone does? They just borrow ideas from Dungeons and Dragons and other games, and then translate those races into so-called "Traveller aliens". I've done that in the past myself... and I think it's time to do it differently.
For a much broader range of aliens, which are drawn from science fiction and not from games, it would be hard to beat Wayne Barlowe's Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials . As for cribbing creatures from Dungeon and Dragons, the "Displacer Beast" is cribbed from A. E. Von Vogt's story "Black Destroyer" which in modified form appears in his "Voyage of the Space Beagle", which is the source of two of Barlowe's Extraterrestrials, one of which does reproduce by splitting. For creating Aliens distinct from the ones in Traveller and other games, I would highly recommend the book, which can be found online. A planet full of Dilbians would be fun to add to any sub-sector or game.

Quote:
Alien races need to be created uniquely. They need to be really alien, totally bizarre, and having almost nothing in common with Humanity. They need to be something that you've never seen on TV, something that you didn't borrow from Star Trek or D&D. This is the only way that they can truly be called alien. (Emphasis Added)
If an alien is so totally different from Humanity, how is a human going to adequately portray them? If there is virtually nothing in common, how is one to think or react like them? Any alien created is going to be limited to what a human player can run or use.

Quote:
But how do we go about designing these truly unique alien species? How do we do this so that the "design" of the species is sensible? Surely there is some kind of RPG utility that someone created for doing this....
T5 does have the material from creating random Aliens. Whether they are believable or not is heavily dependent on the die rolls. Personally, I would rather use the given material to build one without the die rolls, but to each his own way of doing things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 17th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Some games I have that do this well:
T5, GURPS Uplift, GURPS Space 4e.
Old August 17th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
T5 does have the material from creating random Aliens. Whether they are believable or not is heavily dependent on the die rolls. Personally, I would rather use the given material to build one without the die rolls, but to each his own way of doing things.
Marc has made it clear in the past: in ALL editions the random process is there for those who want to use it as random; if you want to pick the rolls instead, and you're the ref, fine.

Marc writes toolkits.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpuħ dtħ f+ fs++ geħ ih- infħ jħ jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 25th, 2019, 01:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
If an alien is so totally different from Humanity, how is a human going to adequately portray them? If there is virtually nothing in common, how is one to think or react like them? Any alien created is going to be limited to what a human player can run or use.
I expect players to do their homework first if they choose to portray them. They should know their history/culture/politics besides all the biology stuff about them. And the other players will need to know about them as well. And decide together how the alien is to be handled in-game before starting any game session.
Old April 16th, 2020, 11:57 PM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

anyone know where to find a copy of atomik alienz?
Old April 17th, 2020, 11:29 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
anyone know where to find a copy of atomik alienz?
$5 on DriveThru rpg...