Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old November 20th, 2020, 10:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
Proneutron Citizen
Default The MealMaker

During TL's 8-9 great strides are made in artificially manufactured food. By TL 10 industrial food synthesizing using only carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen and a few other trace elements becomes a reality. The food is of course different in many ways from natural food. E.g. a synthesized grape has no skin but can be made in any size. You can get egg whites and egg yolk. But not as an integrated item as found in an egg. Thus fried eggs are problematic. Meats are one of the foods that are closest to the natural. Breads, pasta, sauces, cheese and other derived food items are pretty much the same as the original.

Recipes are programmed to take advantage the strengths and avoid the limitations of the system. The mass production of food using this technology puts an end to hunger on planets of this TL and above.

At TL 11 this technology is mature and moves into the the average home and star-ship. The “Meal MakerTM” is two Dtons and Cr20,000 for a unit that feeds 6 people per day. It takes 2 hours to prepare 6 full meals. Time in between is usually used to produce stored food and drinks for on demand consumption. The unit has a refrigerator and freezer for such items.

At TL 12+ the size drops to one Dton and costs Cr30,000.

The programming for the molecular level food synthesizing is hard coded and cannot be changed due to the danger of creating poisonous compounds. One can buy new recipe "cartridges" from certified sources. The cost of the raw materials needed to make the food is negligible.

Ships using these food synthesizers cut life support costs per person by 50%.

Old November 20th, 2020, 11:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

I don't think you can cut life support costs by a great deal, by switching from steak to soylent green.

At which point, I'm thinking, recycling.
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:53 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
I don't think you can cut life support costs by a great deal, by switching from steak to soylent green.

At which point, I'm thinking, recycling.
Well, to put it gently, LS cost are INSANELY high and have nothing to do with any usage of air, water, food or whatnot. It is just a number picked in order to cause PCs to burn money.

So, it cuts in half realistic LS costs.
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:55 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Have you considered bio domes, which can eliminate life support costs entirely?
Old November 21st, 2020, 12:32 AM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Have you considered bio domes, which can eliminate life support costs entirely?
No need. Technology does it better and cheaper than any bio-dome.
Old November 21st, 2020, 01:33 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Ships using these food synthesizers cut life support costs per person by 50%.
There's no need, food doesn't take up that much space. Water would need to be recycled, probably.

I wrote about Crew Food a while back. You should be able to pick these up at any StarshipMart.

Crew Food

Quote:
The original TV dinners, with meat, vegetable, mashed potato, and fruit or dessert, was about 12 inches by 10 inches by 1 inch tall. If you throw in a 2 inch by 12 inch by 1 inch detachable utility pack with eating utensils, condiments, and beverage powders (or even liquid concentrates), it makes a 12 inch by 12 inch by 1 inch complete meal.

For 1 person for 30 days at 3 meals a day, a stack of TV dinners with varied breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals would only be 90 inches tall (almost 8 feet). If you want to make it square, it's about a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot pack. Easily manageable.

A Scout/Courier with double occupancy (8 people) could stack them in each stateroom (under each bunk), assuming they are shelf stable and just need to be heated. Otherwise a special place has to be made in the Galley or Cargo Hold.

The original price of a TV Dinner was $0.98, so only about 90Cr per person for a month (or 720Cr for the whole 8 person crew).

I'm sure by the 57th century, there would be shelf-stable standardized food modules about the size of a TV dinner, made just for Starships or Travellers. A 12 inch wide by 1 inch tall by 10 inch deep food module heater would probably be standard in any Starship Galley.

A High Passage meal would probably be bigger and a lot different. But just think about how good a Tech Level-15 TV Dinner would taste! And TV could also stand for TraVeller.

So:

Food Module Pack
1 person, 1 month (90 meals)
2' x 2' x 2'
90Cr

Food Module Pallet
8 person, 1 month (720 meals)
4' x 4' x 4'
720Cr
EDIT: Just noticed my Math is a bit off. It's 96 meals in a 2' x 2' x 2' or 32 days.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; November 21st, 2020 at 03:10 AM..
Old November 21st, 2020, 08:27 AM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
There's no need, food doesn't take up that much space. Water would need to be recycled, probably.

I wrote about Crew Food a while back. You should be able to pick these up at any StarshipMart.
Serve $.98 TV dinners to your crew and they will stuff you in the Mr. Fusion PP in 10 seconds flat. Or, space you.

Passengers paying many thousands of credits for a 7 day trip would soon have you out of service or, SPACED.

Ever ponder why the Navy has the best food out of all the services?
Old November 21st, 2020, 01:39 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Serve $.98 TV dinners to your crew and they will stuff you in the Mr. Fusion PP in 10 seconds flat. Or, space you.
By Tech Level 12, TV Dinners™ will taste great! And at higher TLs, all the Starships crews will want them.

Passenger Food would be different, probably.
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:02 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Ask any family and you'll learn that above a certain size, "fresh" made meals are cheaper than packaged meals.

The detail is that you have to account for labor costs.

I don't see any issue with having either a dedicated cook, a rotation chore of "cooking for today", or simply "So, you're an engineer...can you cook?" part time position.

Then it's just a matter of stocking the freezer. Ships have a life span of a week-10 days in space (for normal runs), and keeping food fresh for 10 days is 1930s technology. It's not crew members cutting the mildew off the bread in their spare time.

So, package food is all well and good, it's certainly convenient when pressed for time. But, especially in Jump, if there's anything the crew has -- it's spare time.
Old November 21st, 2020, 03:57 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Ask any family and you'll learn that above a certain size, "fresh" made meals are cheaper than packaged meals.

The detail is that you have to account for labor costs.

I don't see any issue with having either a dedicated cook, a rotation chore of "cooking for today", or simply "So, you're an engineer...can you cook?" part time position.

Then it's just a matter of stocking the freezer. Ships have a life span of a week-10 days in space (for normal runs), and keeping food fresh for 10 days is 1930s technology. It's not crew members cutting the mildew off the bread in their spare time.

So, package food is all well and good, it's certainly convenient when pressed for time. But, especially in Jump, if there's anything the crew has -- it's spare time.
All true. However this saves an insane amount of money over those other methods.