Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old November 21st, 2020, 04:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 4
MThompson016 Citizen

Pretty much what some of the posters have said. One of the features of a 726 class submarine is the forward Logistics Escape Trunk, when removed, gives space for containers of food supplies that can be lowered straight down into a sizable store room. Also, there's a fair amount of space assigned to the freezer on those boats. While usually 6-7 cooks would be assigned for the 150 crew, only 4 or 5 would actually be working in the galley as cooks, the other two are supervisors.

Considering how traffic between major worlds is, most ships would have the space for near fresh foods, and only rely on preserved foods if long duration trips off scheduled routes occur. However, certain luxury food stuffs (high quality coffee, meats), may only be available from certain worlds.

tc+ ?23 mgt+ !tm t20- !t4 !t5 !t6(LBB) tp- tg+ ?th ?to ru ge 3i c jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ kk++ hi+ as- va- dr ith+ vr ne so+ zh vi+ da sy
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThompson016 View Post
Pretty much what some of the posters have said.
Yes, however space saving is not isn't the main point of the machine. As stated it is the huge money savings. I know about subs. My son is a nuke. And this would increase patrol duration capability in a huge way now that I think about it because the VAST majority of food is composed of two atoms in combination as water or as part of carbs & protein. Those are hydrogen and oxygen. Both of which can be supplied by the ocean subs travel in. ::

Last edited by Proneutron; November 21st, 2020 at 05:25 PM..
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:53 PM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
No need. Technology does it better and cheaper than any bio-dome.
Faster and cheaper probably. Better would be a matter of exactly how good the synthesis is. And then factor in the snob appeal of "naturally grown" vs "the vat down in engineering" may be a factor as well.

Many episodes in Star Trek there is a noticeable difference between "real" food vs replicator food.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old November 21st, 2020, 05:23 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
Faster and cheaper probably. Better would be a matter of exactly how good the synthesis is. And then factor in the snob appeal of "naturally grown" vs "the vat down in engineering" may be a factor as well.

Many episodes in Star Trek there is a noticeable difference between "real" food vs replicator food.
Most items would be high quality. Even now meat can be manufactured that is very good. Most food is simple to make if you can create the molecules. For 98% of the population "snob appeal" doesn't come into play
Old November 21st, 2020, 11:57 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Most items would be high quality.
Most? I can just imagine:

"Oh no! Not the Green Cubes again! Just throw me out the airlock, would ya?!?"
Old November 22nd, 2020, 12:32 AM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Most? I can just imagine:
If you understand the chemistry you could imagine it...
Old November 22nd, 2020, 12:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I tend to work backwards from the CT cost of living to determine how much of LS is food.

Good restaurant meals are Cr20 per day, excellent (I assume High Passage) is Cr20-50, ingredients for 'home prepared' meals is Cr5 per day (Mid passage), and expeditionary (likely planetside) is Cr20-25 depending on how light they are, costs more for the dehydrated stuff.

Of course restaurant meals are charging for labor and temporary eating space rental, so at most we could assume excellent ingredient costs are more like Cr30 per day.

Bottom line, we are talking Cr210 maximum for fresh high end ingredients per weekly trip. It's just not a major cost of life support.

So I don't see marginal ships sinking capital or more importantly space that could otherwise be profit or capability into this system. It would be the sort of thing that is highly useful for military or scout ships cut off from resupply on long missions/expeditions.

I guess the other question is the TL, seems pretty low for raw dynamic molecular level synthesis. We don't get Nuclear Dampers until TL12, so a relatively miniaturized much more sophisticated foodmaker would be TL13 minimum. I would tend to think specialized feedstocks for such a maker for lower TLs, possibly more of a genesplicer/rapid grow biofactory/autochef, then we go to raw elements at higher TLs.

The higher end foodmakers should probably come in at Cr200000 just cause of the greater sophistication and freedom from starport supply constraints. Or something like Cr10000 per person-day capacity.

Last edited by kilemall; November 22nd, 2020 at 01:14 PM..
Old November 22nd, 2020, 12:49 PM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

I don't know - so far the lab grown meat has not worked out well (apparently it does not taste great and is very, very expensive. But we're at the very early stages, so we'll see. And that also begs the question: I'm a half-assed vegetarian: I eat fish & fowl but have not had mammal-based meat in 30+ years. Would that count as meat? My choice is primarily from ethics. And I just don't like meat but not sure how much of that is psychological at this point)

Anyway - I always recall that scene from Firefly & the fresh strawberries. Fresh is always better. Perhaps it is just psychological, and after a 1000 years of food synthesis no one could tell. But I'd think there would be a premium, particularly for high passage, on "real" food vs synthesised. Never underestimate the snob appeal (why I grind my coffee beans just before making coffee. Can I taste the difference? Maybe, but I think I do, and how people think about things can be very powerful)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old November 22nd, 2020, 03:06 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
I don't know - so far the lab grown meat has not worked out well (apparently it does not taste great

"When the process is complete, the scaffold is completely enveloped in beef-like muscle tissue. After going through a taste test, three volunteers said that the lab-grown beef had a pleasantly meaty flavor.

They also claim that its texture is comparable to that of real meat. "
Old November 22nd, 2020, 03:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Some people might miss the hormones and antibiotics.

I think it will pass muster when Mickey Dee can sell them in India, and make a killing.

I like drowning mine in red wine.