Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old November 20th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
Proneutron Citizen
Default Food synthesizers

During TL's 8-9 great strides are made in artificially manufactured food. By TL 10 industrial food synthesizing using only carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen and a few other trace elements becomes a reality. The food is of course different in many ways from natural food. E.g. a synthesized grape has no skin but can be made in any size. You can get egg whites and egg yolk. But not as an integrated item as found in an egg. Thus fried eggs are problematic. Meats are one of the foods that are closest to the natural. Breads, pasta, sauces, cheese and other derived food items are pretty much the same as the original.

Recipes are programmed to take advantage the strengths and avoid the limitations of the system. The mass production of food using this technology puts an end to hunger on planets of this TL and above.

At TL 11 this technology is mature and moves into the the average home and star-ship. The “Meal MakerTM” is two Dtons and Cr20,000 for a unit that feeds 6 people per day. It takes 2 hours to prepare 6 full meals. Time in between is usually used to produce stored food and drinks for on demand consumption. The unit has a refrigerator and freezer for such items.

At TL 12+ the size drops to one Dton and costs Cr30,000.

The programming for the molecular level food synthesizing is hard coded and cannot be changed due to the danger of creating poisonous compounds. One can buy new recipe "cartridges" from certified sources. The cost of the raw materials needed to make the food is negligible.

Ships using these food synthesizers cut life support costs per person by 50%.

Old November 21st, 2020, 09:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Vile Citizen

As a kid watching TOS I couldn't wait for food cubes to become available. Brightly-coloured cubes of homogenous foodstuff with no skin or bones or gristle, what's not to love?
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:06 AM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile View Post
As a kid watching TOS I couldn't wait for food cubes to become available. Brightly-coloured cubes of homogenous foodstuff with no skin or bones or gristle, what's not to love?
That's why I used that pic. I too wondered and waited!
Old November 22nd, 2020, 08:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
wellis Citizen

Food pills always struck me as too small to be satisfying.

Like I want meals to last longer.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 03:07 PM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post

What are you talking about?
Old November 22nd, 2020, 03:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Old November 22nd, 2020, 06:33 PM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:

Especially while in jump: depending on your view of maintenance and what else happens while in jump, there is probably a LOT of time. Perhaps the enjoyment of food and company happens

On another thread (the one about jump traditions) the one I started using is that the 1st meal post-jump is quite the lavish affair to celebrate the start of a week together. I would imagine it takes its time to be enjoyed. Kinda hard to enjoy swallowing a pill or eating oddly colored cubes of nutrient.

Bottom line: me too. Plus you actually need a certain amount of roughage and sheer volume for your body to work right.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old November 23rd, 2020, 11:19 AM

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post

Bottom line: Plus you actually need a certain amount of roughage and sheer volume for your body to work right.
As per the explanation in the OP the food is real (and to the needs of the body) has everything more expensive, naturally grown food has. It is simply mechanically produced rather than naturally grown. In FACT, the computer can analyze what you are ordering and ADD any roughage needed that you missed due to your poor menu choices if that is the case. THUS, it is potentially healthier than "normal" food in certain ways. So, that bottom line doesn't apply.

Last edited by Proneutron; November 23rd, 2020 at 12:09 PM..
Old November 23rd, 2020, 12:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:

Old November 23rd, 2020, 05:10 PM
Baron

Gallery : 107
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
As per the explanation in the OP the food is real (and to the needs of the body) has everything more expensive, naturally grown food has. It is simply mechanically produced rather than naturally grown. In FACT, the computer can analyze what you are ordering and ADD any roughage needed that you missed due to your poor menu choices if that is the case. THUS, it is potentially healthier than "normal" food in certain ways. So, that bottom line doesn't apply.
Sorry - I was referring to the food pills thing. No question about the manufactured food taking the same volume. It is just born in a lab versus the hoof. Still not convinced that a living thing that actually USES the muscles aka meat would be the same as manufactured, but I am thinking 21st century vs the Traveller timeline. I'd just still play up the snob aspect mostly for fluff. Could the noble tell the difference between the two? Reminds of the story where some restaurant accidentally switched bottles of wine: a couple got the $2K bottle of wine, the business men (on expense) got the cheaper one but thought it tasted better. https://nypost.com/2020/10/23/couple...yc-restaurant/

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller