Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseMatt View Post
Might use that in our next Traveller marketing piece. . .
Might want to run that by legal counsel first

Representing that playing MGT would get you laid would have to be a "deceptive trade practice..."
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders lager View Post
I've kept MongTrav at an arms length now for a while, but after reading omn these forums I'm getting a little interested (it's Traveller after all :-D). So, please tell me why I should buy this game and why you'd recommend it....
Because you and your players actually can buy this game. Every other edition of Traveller is out of print, not exactly filling the shelves of the local game store, or available only in relatively inconvenient forms (like CD-ROMs).
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Might want to run that by legal counsel first

Representing that playing MGT would get you laid would have to be a "deceptive trade practice..."
Although possibly it would be sheltered under the "no reasonable person could possibly believe it" concept.....nah. Gamers will belive anything....so, Matt, you may want to consider this slight rephrasing:
"Mongoose Traveller will get you laid up to twice a day , with up to any number of highly desirable partners (understanding, of course that the phrase "up to" is an upper limit only, and clearly includes the number ZERO, and potentially negative integers, as well....)"*

That work better Ty ?

* concept and original text gleefully stolen from, I think, Eric Idle's advert for "Lllap Goch, the secret and deadly ancient Welsh martial art".

My Traveller, OD&D and obsessive game design Blog:

Crawdads and Dragons

Current development projects
Adventurer What if Original D&D was written for traveller !
Bricks and Basilisks: RPG Gaming with <ahem> modular and trademarked brick construction system minifigs !

I think the true measure of virtue is not how we treat people when they give us what we want,
but how we treat people when we are denied that.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen

Or up to four times with one Redhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old December 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

nats Citizen

So far the best thing about MGT is the getting rid of all the different die throws required for the different Traveller weapons. Now you just have one throw to make (8) plus quite a few DMs to reflect cover, weapon type, range, skill etc etc. That one thing removes loads of the inherently overly complex rules in the original Traveller.

The other ting is they seem to have reworked many of the concepts to streamline them whilst explaining properly the workings of the more complex issues. It just all seems to be so much more coherent, less of a faff, and more fun to play. I think Mongoose have saved Traveller from disappearing up its own backside.
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
So far the best thing about MGT is the getting rid of all the different die throws required for the different Traveller weapons. Now you just have one throw to make (8) plus quite a few DMs to reflect cover, weapon type, range, skill etc etc. That one thing removes loads of the inherently overly complex rules in the original Traveller.
Er? CT had one throw to hit.
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
CT uses just one throw, which is 8+, with DMs for cover, range, skill, weapon type vs. armor, etc.

So...what are you talking about?
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Easy gents, I suspect this is nats' first exposure to pure Traveller

He probably came to the game late, through MT, GT, TNE, T4, or maybe even T20. I'm thrilled he's discovering pure Traveller even if not aware of it's roots

btw...

Welcome aboard nats!

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

Agreed... while I prefer CT (and now MGT) anyone who is a friend of Traveller is a friend of mine!
Welcome!
And while you are here, try the tranya, I hope you relish it as much as I.

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinwardpirate View Post
Agreed... while I prefer CT (and now MGT) anyone who is a friend of Traveller is a friend of mine!
Welcome!
And while you are here, try the tranya, I hope you relish it as much as I.
you mean the grapefruit juice? <g>. You may relish it but Clint Howard sure didn't

Allen