Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old April 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
Ahhh! I can look at that stuff, now that I am a Peer, I think. I will take a gander.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:13 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by Takei:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bromgrev:
Quote:
My home rules for weapons use both a penetration (Pen) value and a damage roll (Dam). Armour has an armour value (AV).
I'd certainly be interested in seeing those. Especially considering your sig.
Unfortunately, the electronic version of the tables was lost two blown hard drives ago.

I'll probably have to rewrite them, now that you've released that particular bee into my bonnet ...

The weapon and armour stats were extrapolated from the Striker weapons tables, with extra bits taken from Book 1 and Mercenary.

Penetration only really comes into it with military weaponry; most handgun slugs have a Pen of zero or 1 and have to rely on damage rolls to get through armour. Oh, and the tables are for a BRP-style combat system, so they use the whole range of polygonal dice.

Last edited by Pickles; May 8th, 2008 at 07:05 AM..
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM

Gallery : 0
kaladorn Citizen
One point about handguns: A lot is dependent on the ammunition. For instance, from what I understand, the FN FiveSeven will penetrate a PASGT Kevlar helmet at 100m. That's probably better than most handguns.
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Absolutely better than most. Of course, at that distance, you might not be able to tell what kind of handgun it was, and couldn't properly fill out the paperwork in the back of the little booklet that comes with a new PAGST. I got a brand new one once, and yes, there is a little book with directions (and lots of pictures, since I was with the Army) and a form to fill out in the back if your helmet takes a round - including where it penetrated, and what kind of round/weapon.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Life Pursuits are supposedly T5....

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:31 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by kaladorn:
One point about handguns: A lot is dependent on the ammunition. For instance, from what I understand, the FN FiveSeven will penetrate a PASGT Kevlar helmet at 100m. That's probably better than most handguns.
True, but I was talking about standard slugs. BTW, I've heard rumours from those in the trade that there are stopping power problems with the FiveSeven ammo ... maybe time to downgrade the damage a bit.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
OK, how would I do CT+?
1) 2d6 for stats - I still think it's cool to use hexadecimal. I could do d20, but would want, maybe, 3d6+2 for PCs (that whole bellcurve thing).

2) I could go with either CT or T20 attributes. I have no problem with adding Wisdom into the CT mix if it used for Intuition. And, our character sheets always had an attribute for Appearance, anyway. Charisma makes that more complete.

3) Homeworld/"1st level" skills from T20 is a keeper. But, I would include the homeworld stuff in what you are allowed to get prior to enlisting, not in addition to. I wouldn't want 4 times what a regular advancement would give you, though! Criminy, I tried doing a character with high Int, and I couldn't find enough skills that I really wanted!

4) Allow a percentage (after taking out homeworld-related) of pre-enlistment skills to be chosen, with rest random. This provides a little challenge for the player. And, obviously, the tables would need to be based on homeworld/background/"class"/something.

5) Feats! Feats are good, but they (many times, not all) are on the wrong things in T20. Feats would be things that would make other people say, "It's magic how he works that spanner" or "She could talk a Vargr into eating dry cat food" or "How'd he do that?" They might add bonuses to things you could learn and grow skilled at, but for these characters it's just natural. And, not so many per character as T20.

6) I like the idea of Professional, Technical and Knowledge skills. Only allow Knowledge skills, though, based on Education attribute (not Intelligence).

7) Use something more akin to CT enlistments, but use experience points to determine how many skills received per year/term. Then, require a mixture of random and chosen skills. Allow skills from outside the service matrix at a higher cost (a la T20), and allow a "Life Pursuit" skill or two to be developed at regular cost. (Oh yeah, derive your XPs from survival, decorations, promotions, type of duty for that year, etc.)

8) Re-include attribute increases as a very available option during Prior History creation. Make them "buyable" just like the skills.

9) I don't know if I can stress this enough: NO Levels!!! Besides being Traveller heresy (IMO), it is counterintuitive to folks who haven't been sucked in by the D&D vortex. There are no levels in life - there are ranks, titles, life stages, but no levels. I can't resist snake venom any more now than I could when I was 18. If I had spent some time developing an immunity, yeah, but not just because I'm older and more experienced. I also can't shoot any better because I am older - I could, though, if I managed to get out and practice more.

10) OTU stuff. It should come separate, but all the classic stuff should be bundled up for use (all the different eras!) by Traveller fans like me.

11) Ships and Worlds: hire some of the folks around here (Sigg, etc.) to set up the world design and ship design sections. You might have to get them physically in the same location to allow them to "work out" a few of the disagreements in viewpoints.

My bit more than Cr.02
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
For the gearheads:

1: A fully-scaled system for vehicle design, from scooters to starships (and beyond, to space stations).

2: A weapons design system compatible with the above.

Hmm, this sounds a bit like GURPS Vehicles. Or Striker ...
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know where page one has gone?

Or what is the web site that archives old stuff?

[edit]never mind, somehow I can now read page one again, which I couldn't before - and I'm not deleting this just in case it disappears again [/edit]
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
FWIW, that's happened to me here once before too.