Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old April 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kaladorn Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Taylor:
"LBB1: basic + Citizens character generation tables (and skills), but add a special duty roll to gain more benefits per term. Allow a character to pick two skills, one as a life pursuit and one as a hobby, these skills can be selected instead of a rolled skill, but only once per term."

I would eliminate random rolls for skills - we choose our casreers in real life, so let people whoose whether to study navigation or piloting... Keep the "8+ Education only" skill list so some skills are not available to the truly education-challenged. Also add the extra skills from book 4 and 5 to the navy, army and marine careers as choices. After all, why can a pirate get ship tactics but a navy pilot can't?

Put in place skill-0 skills base don homeworld. IMTU each CT characters gets 2 level-0 skills to choose from, based on their homeworld.
Did you ever serve in any armed service Mike? I only ask because you seem to think you have a lot of choice in the skills you develop. You have some, but a lot of times, you just get assigned to learn X Y or Z because it is necessary for someone (ie you) to know it. Some stuff is just taught to you as basic training, but even beyond that, there is often strong pressure to take certain courses. It can be tough to resist. I had to dodge and weave and duck to avoid getting my 404s (CF driver's license). Why? Because once you had it, you got tasked to do a lot of driving whether you wanted to or not. (Hence a good chance of getting another involuntary level of Wheeled Vehicle...). I could have passed on some of the wonderful things I got out of basic and trade training, but the choice wasn't there. Had I been going into operational theaters with real threats, I would have underwent further training. And guess what, it would not have been my choice! Welcome to the military life!

Even in the world outside the military, people often learn skills because the job requires it. You can choose some of your skill development, some is thrust upon you by life.

IMO, YMMV.
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM

kaladorn Citizen
My big beef with weapons systems with multi-dice damage from particular weapons is that that gives a minimum damage. That's silly. I can get a graze from a .50 BMG just like I can get a graze from a .22 LR. The difference in damage won't be much, if it is a graze. Sure, for a solid hit, the .50 will leave a much bigger hole (so mimimum damage might make sense) but there should be some representation of small wounds from big weapons.
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Grazes and nicks are generally called "misses" in most (OK, some) game mechanics*. But it would be nice to have a close call kind of injury result. Something that will leave you with noting more than a scar to brag about. Perhaps any miss that is a miss by just 1 on whatever dice roll system is used.

* well, OK, not D&D, in that a hit is a graze or nick until the very last stroke, after all your luck and dodging has run out and you're so tired that the telling blow is struck

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old April 16th, 2005, 01:00 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
Yeah, Mike, there might be some level of choice involved. But, mostly, there is (in the military, police, paramilitary like the Scouts) a lot of being assigned to things because you are the person someone thought best for the job. (Usually, that means you are the only one not on TDY (Temporary Duty).) And your disagreement doesn't amount to much.

I have always allowed rolling, THEN choosing the table to reflect that wiggle room. You may not want ANY of the skills that a 3 gives you, but you get to choose the lesser of 3 evils.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:45 PM

JAFARR Citizen
(1) I would make make the generation process more like the advanced versions in that you roll for each year.
(2) I would have a combination of basic skills, choice, and randomly assigned skills depending on type of character. For example, you get a basic package of skills as basic training, you have some 0 or 1 level skills due to background, you roll randomly for skills, but you may specify that you are focusing on a particular skill that you need for your next promotion or another reason that you can convince the referee is a plausible reason to focus.
(3) No limit on number of skill levels
(4) Benefits: Rolls on the money table are what you have managed to save during your terms of service. Assume that the character has acquried any basic equipment reasonable to their past history. Unusual or special (for example, military only) equipment must be purchased or acquired by some means up to the PC and referee.
(5) Add level 7 & 8 to benefits tables and add an approiate means of reaching the DM to access those levels. All ship benefits would be on level 8 and add equalivalent benefits to those services that lack them. Make all multiple benefits meaningful. (Don't let additional TAS rolls become wasted rolls.)
(6) Change combat damage system to something like the AD2300 system.
(7) Use High Guard ship design rules.

Guess that is enough for now.

By the grace of His Imperial Majesty Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi, Baron of the Imperium. granted 241-1107
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Actually, you could give some good flexibility by allowing the player to pick a skill off of one list (say, Army Life), but requiring rolls on all other lists. This would mean that getting any of the really good skills (Hvy Wpns, Tactics, Computer, etc.) would take a bit of a gamble.
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:08 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz88:
Actually, you could give some good flexibility by allowing the player to pick a skill off of one list (say, Army Life), but requiring rolls on all other lists.
This is a variant on the Life Pursuits* idea, which I think would work in any version of Traveller.

Life Pursuits: Each term, declare a Life Pursuit skill, thereby having the option of taking levels in that skill or rolling.
Tools Link
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Jamus Citizen
That is a good idea.
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:34 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Which version is that from, robject, MT?
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:14 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
It's from the old T5 character generation files.