Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Foxroe Citizen

I know that this is an older thread, but I couldn't help myself...

I always thought that since small craft combat was covered sufficiently in Book 2, the verbiage in the Ship's Boat skill applied to a small craft that was evading fire from non-ship sources... bad guys giving chase in an air/raft, surface-to-air missiles, and that sort of thing.

-Fox
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxroe View Post
I always thought that since small craft combat was covered sufficiently in Book 2, the verbiage in the Ship's Boat skill applied to a small craft that was evading fire from non-ship sources... bad guys giving chase in an air/raft, surface-to-air missiles, and that sort of thing.
This should probably be construed as a quick-and-dirty system to be used on the fly. Note that the escape/dodge rolls alternate; this specifically addresses pursuit situations, rather than proper dogfights. The nature of the mechanic suggests that relative drive sizes are not important and there is some cover to be had: terrain, structures, or other local traffic. This is not a proper deep-space combat system, it's a simple abstraction for PC getaways in atmo and close-orbit situations, methinks. Remember, as per B2, "most small craft are unarmed"...

Also, because I am kind-hearted: Roll 8+, DMs +1 if DEX 10+ and +Vacc Suit Skill, to safely "bail out" if the craft is "destroyed"...
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

With a little adaptation I came up with these for my universe. They may not be the greatest, but they worked for creating tension and drama to small craft engagements. as well as gave the players some chance for a little tactical planning.

They applied only to small craft of 49 tons or less.

1) Both roll for Advantaging Position: 2d6 + Agility & Pilot/Shipís Boat Skill
2) Advantaging pilot rolls to hit Disadvantaged craft
3) Repeat Steps 1 & 2 till someone gets shot down or Advantaging pilot disengages.

> BEFORE rolling to hit, the Advantaging player must declare if he is adding his skills into the To Hit roll or Damage roll. This gives him the choice of hitting more often (but with less chance of destroying the target in a single hit) or hitting less often but with more single damaging hits. Only the pilot's skills can be used this way, the computer just tries itís best to hit.

> TO HIT 8+ DM's = +1 per 2 lvls of Gunnery (if separate gunner is used then 1 per level)
+1 per 2 lvls of Shipís Boat (if separate gunner not used)
+ Computer Type (bis is counted as one level up)

- Opponentís skill (as above)
- Opponentís Computer Type

Damage : 2d6 -1 per 2 Lvls of Gunnery (if separate gunner is used then 1 per level)
-1 per 2 Lvls of Ships Boat (if separate gunner not used)

3 - Destroyed (no ejection)
4-6 Disabled (eject or crash land)
7-8 One weapon destroyed
9-10 Reduce Agility by 1 point
11+ No effect

To eject 9+ on 2d6 DM = Ĺ Shipís Boat skill
To crash land w/out injury 10+ on 2d6 DMís= +1 Vacc Suit
+2 Pilot Armor
+1/2 Shipís Boat or Pilot
Injury = 2D6 for Pilot Armor
3D6 for Vacc Suit

*Pilot Armor is a gee suit/lightly armored vacc suit designed to plug into the fighter and help the pilot link to systems access and stay alive and conscious during maneuvers. Itíll also help keep him alive in case of hull breach prior to ejection in his encapsulated crash couch.