Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old February 15th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
It's obvious the Old Man's happy to see you, and still doesn't approve of the uniform, but he's not about to admit to either at the moment.
Bill gets to his feet, waits while his Dad does the same, then before Joseph has a chance to move away Bill grabs him in a quick bear-hug.

"Thanks, Dad. And I mean for everything. Hasn't sat well with me these few years, knowing that we argued the last time I saw you, before Burma. But now in't the time to start again, neither. I love you, Father, and I know you love me, and I hope someday I can make you proud of me."

Bill lets go and steps back, turning aside so his Dad won't see any moisture in his eyes, and he won't see whether there is or isn't any in his Dad's. "Corporal Smithers in't a friend, not yet, but he's my co-gunner and under my command this trip, so I brought him along to try to get to know 'im better. Right close-mouthed so far, though."

"We're 'eaded to the Army warehouse down by the docks, then one other errand, then we can come back 'ere an' see if Mum's 'ome yet. I'll check my old room now to make sure there are civvies to fit the both of us, because I've been ordered not to wear uniform on the next part of our town errands. Dad, if you were goin' to buy an elephant gun or one those American buffalo rifles, where would you go? Somewhere here in town, as we an't got time for takin' the train anywheres? Also, what can you tell me about a place called Ericson & Son? Startin' w' its location, as I never heard of it before."

Bill Carson waits for his father's answer about where to look for the guns, then says, "Good to see you again, sir, an' I 'ope to see you later when I come back to see Mum." Then he goes over to the house to check his old room.

Quote:
And, aside from the dirty clothes having been washed and folded, the tiny bedroom is exactly as it was left 4 years ago after that weekend pass, and the argument. Right down to the 2/5 in loose change on the windowsill.
Carson takes the pocket change (if it was his; if not, he'll leave it) and goes to the cupboard (or armoire, or dresser, or whatever) to start pulling out clothes. He finds some to fit him, and also a pair of shoes, and an old leather knapsack, surplus Army-issue, from his rambling days as a teenager. He then invites Corp Smithers to pick out some clothes he thinks will fit for the errand to seek the rifles (if Smithers is too far off in size, they'll need to find a cheap used clothing store along the way to accomodate him).

While Corp Smithers is looking over the clothing, Carson gets down on one knee at the head of the bed and pulls loose a piece of floorboard to his boyhood secret stash. Amid bits of rock and feathers and other junk, he finds his lucky schilling, left here during all of his Army service. Don't know the range on a lucky silver piece, he thinks to himself. Seems to have worked alright on th' other side o' this planet, but I think for Venus I'd better carry it along in me pocket.

Shoving all of the civilian clothing into the knapsack, they'll tidy up, then leave and go directly to the Army warehouse near the docks.

Quote:
[NB: I'm envisioning him as reminiscent of Bert Large on Doc Martin. And that's where I'm drawing inspiration from.]
[Sorry, don't get the reference, but I'll look it up.]

[OK, found him. Yeah, that'll do fine.]

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 15th, 2014 at 05:49 AM..
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:11 AM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation
Default Meanwhile in the ship...

McBean tries to check once and again the orrery and drafts, trying to discover what is wrong with them [please, make the roll you see fit]. He asks the pilot to help him, hoping another pair of trained (or at least so he hopes) eyes will help.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
McBean tries to check once and again the orrery and drafts, trying to discover what is wrong with them [please, make the roll you see fit]. He asks the pilot to help him, hoping another pair of trained (or at least so he hopes) eyes will help.
Engineering: would be Mechanical - so that's 1d
Science: would be Physics, so that's 4d.

Bonus die for help.

so 5d, and TN is 3's. (final die is helper)(5d6)[6][4][2][4][2](18)

3:00 ish, 9th Jan 1887. Aboard the HP.
Poring over the as-builts, the machine, and the draft plans, you recall why, finally... you had to change several materials due to the wrong alloys of brass and of steel being available, resulting in resizing the springs and weight sizes. You also note a few odd bits that could use improvement in the next few months. You could probably buy the parts to improve it for 5, and make the improvements underway, if you note them properly now. (if so, make note. Fabricating the variant parts will take about a week. The research die will be free if its done in the first week of travel... but you'll not "know" for the first several days following.)

3:15 ish. HP.
"Ahoy Aboard! Approaching wagon!" says the guard by the door.

A cabriolet approaches with a driver and a crate aboard. The crate is marked Frank Smythson, London.

"Paper for the ship, Captain McBeam!" relays the guard by the door.

3:25 in town
Bill doesn't remember his clothes being quite as loose as they are; not ill fitting, just a bit more roomy. Still, he cuts a classic look.

Smithers, while about the same shape and build, manages to make it look more comedic than he should. Still, he'll pass. Unfortunately, the regimental footware is all that he finds for the oversized feet he's got. "I'd be more comfy in the plaid curtains than in these trews of yours." His generic English accent sounds wrong when he pronounces plaid as halfway betwixt "Played" and "plate."

[I've got a mental image of Smithers now - a young Craig Fergusson by look, but with a faux english accent that occasionally breaks into the real scots one.]

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; February 15th, 2014 at 06:48 AM..
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:03 AM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Engineering: would be Mechanical - so that's 1d
Science: would be Physics, so that's 4d.

Bonus die for help.

so 5d, and TN is 3's. (final die is helper)[roll0]

3:00 ish, 9th Jan 1887. Aboard the HP.
Poring over the as-builts, the machine, and the draft plans, you recall why, finally... you had to change several materials due to the wrong alloys of brass and of steel being available, resulting in resizing the springs and weight sizes. You also note a few odd bits that could use improvement in the next few months. You could probably buy the parts to improve it for 5, and make the improvements underway, if you note them properly now. (if so, make note. Fabricating the variant parts will take about a week. The research die will be free if its done in the first week of travel... but you'll not "know" for the first several days following.)
Of course, McBean will go to the city to look for those materilas, as we need a reliable orrery if we want to reach Venus...

Quote:
3:15 ish. HP.
"Ahoy Aboard! Approaching wagon!" says the guard by the door.

A cabriolet approaches with a driver and a crate aboard. The crate is marked Frank Smythson, London.

"Paper for the ship, Captain McBeam!" relays the guard by the door.
"I guess that's the paper for the maps and so on" answers McBean.

He checks the cargo (after the issue with Colour Sargent he's a Little paranoid). If McPee is there, he asks him to take charge of the loading of those supplies, as he needs going to city, else, he ovrelooks it itself and he goes to the city for the parts when finished.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
3:25 in town
Bill doesn't remember his clothes being quite as loose as they are; not ill fitting, just a bit more roomy. Still, he cuts a classic look.

Smithers, while about the same shape and build, manages to make it look more comedic than he should. Still, he'll pass. Unfortunately, the regimental footware is all that he finds for the oversized feet he's got. "I'd be more comfy in the plaid curtains than in these trews of yours." His generic English accent sounds wrong when he pronounces plaid as halfway betwixt "Played" and "plate."

[I've got a mental image of Smithers now - a young Craig Fergusson by look, but with a faux english accent that occasionally breaks into the real scots one.]
[Carson and Smithers aren't changing clothes yet, as they still need to be in uniform for the Army warehouse. If Smithers wanted to try things on, he'll need to change back into uniform before they leave the house. They'll carry the civvies in Carson's old knapsack.]

[Did Carson's father have any ideas about where an elephant gun or buffalo rifle might be located? Did he have any info on Ericson & Son (such as location)?]

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
[Carson and Smithers aren't changing clothes yet, as they still need to be in uniform for the Army warehouse. If Smithers wanted to try things on, he'll need to change back into uniform before they leave the house. They'll carry the civvies in Carson's old knapsack.]

[Did Carson's father have any ideas about where an elephant gun or buffalo rifle might be located? Did he have any info on Ericson & Son (such as location)?]
As they exit the bedroom, the senior Carson says, "Billy, that Ericson and Son is down in the slum... right by the Laudinum shop. Y'can't miss it, tho' why anyone would go in is beyond me. Rob ye' blind, 'taint careful. Now, there is a gun shop over near the market square... but they don't take kindly to working folk. They're looking for a peerage star or a commission on their custom."

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:51 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
As they exit the bedroom, the senior Carson says, "Billy, that Ericson and Son is down in the slum... right by the Laudinum shop. Y'can't miss it, tho' why anyone would go in is beyond me. Rob ye' blind, 'taint careful. Now, there is a gun shop over near the market square... but they don't take kindly to working folk. They're looking for a peerage star or a commission on their custom."
"Alright, then. Thanks for the tip, Dad; p'raps we'll try the nice gunshop in uniform, asking after a nice weapon for our Major, as 'e is the one suggested it. Then we can change into civvies and go down the slum to this Ericson's what is supposed to have a gun in stock."

With Smithers standing by, he settles for a handshake with his father, and marches off with Smithers in tow, down to the harbor where the Army warehouse is located.

He recalls vividly the embarrassment of his first trip to this warehouse, as his company was lined up to board transport for Afghanistan, and he discovered he'd lost his bedroll on the train. His sergeant quickly wrote him a requisition and sent him to the warehouse, which took care of him quickly and back to his transport, to the laughter of his mates.

Now he makes his way to that same supply counter and identifies himself: "Sergeant Carson, temporarily detached to Ordinance Survey. I 'ave an order from Major Fellows for some last minute supplies for the Venus Expedition, an' e' as instructed me to make the list of what's needed based on me information gathering this afternoon." He lifts the Venus handbook. "Might I 'ave two sheets of paper and a pen, to prepare the list?"

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

340pm, 9 Jan 1887
The clerk, a private, looks up, and says, "Yes, Serjeant. Work in the cubbies to your right. Here's ink and a quill, and paper." The paper is post-consumer - type on one side, the quil a basic copper tube model, and the ink a pot of thinned india ink. "But don't be too long, we've got formation at five."

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Carson thanks the clerk and takes the proffered items to one of the cubbies, motioning Smithers to come along.

"You can read over my shoulder if you like, or just wait until I'm finished. I'll want your opinion on supplies that we might need that weren't already supplied by the Navy. First thing is to supplement our armoury a bit; we may need to share them out with the civs, or may just need spares ourselves."

"Here is that Venus handbook I got from my Dad, if you'd like to have a gander while I get the list started." Carson places the book on the cubby desk where Smithers can easily reach it; he doesn't know whether Smithers can actually read or not, and doesn't want to embarrass him.

Carson himself is an excellent reader, but his penmanship has suffered over years of not having much need to write anything, so he takes his time and goes very slowly, careful not to smudge the ink as there seems no blotter handy.

Supplementary Supply List for Ordinance Survey Venus Expedition of January 1887
Authorized by Order of Fellows, J., Major, O.S. (see attached order)

1 hogshead metal scraps
4 Lee-Metford .303 rifles, greased and packed for wet conditions
16 magazines for Lee-Metford .303 rifles (or one case, if Qty > 16)
6 bayonets for Lee-Metford .303 rifles
4 cases of .303 ball ammunition for above rifles
One extra packing case for two rifles, filled w/ straw
Sufficient packing grease (2 cans?) for packing two rifles for wet conditions
3 [standard model] Heavy Revolvers
3 holsters for [standard model] Heavy Revolver
3 cases ammunition for [standard model] Heavy Revolver
10 machetes
4 axes
4 hatchets
10 tarps (10'x10' waterproof)
10 blankets, heavy
10 coils rope (100' each)
[60 pounds worth of general supplies, including such things as lanterns, cases of carbide fuel, miner's lamps, spare clothes and boots, maybe more rope and tarps, etc. This is intended to be the contribution to the Ship's Locker for the three Army characters]

[Also, both Carson and Smithers have inspected the spares and repair tools supplied for the Hotchkiss guns; if either felt that those items were lacking, Carson will attempt to supplement, assuming the 6-pdr HRC is actually used by the Army and not only the Navy.]

Having no blotter, Carson will breathe gently on the page until the ink is dry, then show the list to Smithers and ask if he has any suggestions.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Smithers takes a flip through, and muttering and mumbling his way through it, reads several of the scribbled comments.

"Serjeant, I see three things noted that," he flips to the inside cover before continuing, "bombardier Pickering felt absent that we can requisition, and two we can't. Curry powder in quantity to mangle the unpleasant taste of local beast into something edible, piping for a still for medicinals, and laudinum, as lots of ways to get injured. Me, I want an extra pair of rifles, an extra pair of machete, and 3 extra bayonets; the Bombardier broke two bayonets in service, and his rifle broke a mainspring that the armorer had to fix. The guide says we want mosquito netting. One set per 4 months per man."

He pauses a moment. "Can we requisition an Armorer?"

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene