Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old February 14th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

The CSM returns Carson's half-salute, and directs the privates to move out the prisoner. He then heads to the game, grabs four more privates and a corporal, and returns to the party loading the Colour Serjeant into his own wagon.

Promptly, two of the privates show up at the airship, the others running for the armory, as the Cricket game breaks out in cheers, and another ball bounces off the tailfin, to cheers of "Ord-nance Sur-vey!" The dejected outfielder scoops up the ball, and sends it winging in, a bit wide.

Once the privates are on station, the wagon moves out.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu▒ dt▒ f+ fs++ ge▒ ih- inf▒ j▒ jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
"I'd just like to chek the orrery and the drafts again, as they seem not to match" Answers McBean. "I'd appreciate if you could go for the rifle as we told, though, be it an elephant gun or a bufalo one (or even both, as they can be Handy against disnos), and as much ammo as possible" he says, handing Carson 20 ú, if he acepts going for it.
"Of course, sir. By your leave then, I'll be on my way." Carson suppresses the urge to salute. Checking that he has the Major's supply order in his inside breast pocket, he gestures for Smithers to come along.

Leaving the grounds of the Director's House, Carson immediately heads two blocks off to the side of the direct road to the train station, to avoid any further encounter with Sgt Major Veers and his men. He comments to Smithers that their two errands are going to take them on a bit of a tour of Southhampton, then takes the most direct route to his family's home, which lies above and behind his father's bookshop.

"We're going to me Dad's shop," he tells Smithers. "We'd have to come here eventually, to change into civvies as the Major ordered before going for the elephant gun, but before we go to the Army warehouse for the supplies, I'd like to see if Dad has any books about Venus that might suggest proper supplies to take there. It's just about another mile down this way."

As they stride along, it occurs to Carson that he doesn't know much about Smithers. "So, where you from, then?" Aside from personal background, he'd like to work the conversation around to military experience; he already knows that Smithers was with the Hampshire Regiment in Burma and served with the unit's artillery, but not much beyond that, or what got Smithers picked for this expedition.

When they get to the bookshop, Carson warns Smithers that it has been close to four years since he has seen his father, and that he is not sure what reception he will get. He suggests that Smithers might want to browse the books or find a seat on one of the nice chairs near the front counter, while Carson will goes to find his father.

[There should be a minor bit of drama between Carson and his father. Let me know if you just want me to write it, or if you want to write Carson's father (Joseph Carson) as an NPC.]

[Bill and his father were always very close, until Bill chose to join the Army, which his father did not consider a respectable career. Bill visited several times when his regiment was last in barracks between wars, but there was always a layer of coldness between them, stemming from Joseph's disapproval of Bill's Army service.]

[Not knowing whether he will return alive from Venus, Bill wants to see Joseph one more time before he leaves, and also to try to impress him with the nature of his mission. More practically, he also wants to leave half his savings with his father, to be held against his return, but divided amongst the family according to need if he isn't back within five years. Then Bill wants to see his Mum, who also disapproves of his Army service but remains cordial, and see about getting some of his old clothes to wear to go shopping for the elephant gun.]

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

(1d6)[3] Reaction check for Dad.

Smithers' non-commitally responds with "London, originally"... his neutral accent however is very much not any of the major dialectical accents of Greater London. And he lets it sit.

As the shop bell tinkles, the shop is its musty self, almost unchanged save for a few titles. The proprietor, dozing behind the counter, starts to the bell. "Huh? Welcome!" He then fumbles for his spectacles, "Billy? Billy, me boyo? That you?"

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu▒ dt▒ f+ fs++ ge▒ ih- inf▒ j▒ jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
As the shop bell tinkles, the shop is its musty self, almost unchanged save for a few titles. The proprietor, dozing behind the counter, starts to the bell. "Huh? Welcome!" He then fumbles for his spectacles, "Billy? Billy, me boyo? That you?"
"Ahh... Yeah, Dad, it's me." Bill Carson stands awkwardly, wanting to embrace his father, not sure if it would be welcome after the way they argued on last visit. "How 'ave you been? And Mum?"

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 14th, 2014 at 10:28 PM..
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

"Army don't look to do you harm, boy. What brings you here? Your mum's been worried." He's stiff, formal, and looks a bit dazed. You spot the regimental banner beside your photo on the wall behind the register.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:28 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
"Army don't look to do you harm, boy. What brings you here? Your mum's been worried." He's stiff, formal, and looks a bit dazed. You spot the regimental banner beside your photo on the wall behind the register.
"Ah, well... I made Sergeant over in Burma, Dad." Bill proudly exhibits his uniform sleeve. "An' I'm... I'm being sent out again. Rather a bit further this time. Wondering if you have any books about... ummm... Venus?"

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 14th, 2014 at 11:07 PM..
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:19 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

[re-writing to accomodate cross-post]

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 15th, 2014 at 01:36 AM..
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

About 3:15pm, 9 Jan 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
"Ah, well... I made Sergeant over in Burma, Dad." Bill proudly exhibits his uniform sleeve. "An' I'm... I'm being sent out again. Rather a bit further this time. Wondering if you have any books about... ummm... Venus?"
"Nothing writ since that yank Armstrong flew there. Now, got a bunch of stuff on Mars. Wait... yeah, I got one on Venus. Second-hand, from a man just back from Fort Collingswood... let's see..." He lurches to a start, wanders down the stacks, stops short in the Astronomy shelf, plucks a weather worn, water damaged, book... "1885 Royal Army Field Guide for Colonial Service on Venus."

He holds it out, his thumb covering the "1/6" sticker.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:40 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

"Thank you very much, Dad. Just the sort of thing I was hoping for, in planning supplies for the trip. Also, there are a few of Dickens I haven't read yet, and anything else you think might help me pass the time on the journey. I've some money to pay, as from what I've heard of Venus they're not likely to come back in good shape for you to sell to a customer."

Bill Carson accepts his father's invitation for a spot of tea, meanwhile visually imploring (actually glaring at) Smithers to find something else to do so he can talk to his father alone. Smithers feigns obliviousness, apparently finding some enjoyment in all this.

Bill asks about his mother and siblings, and dutifully listens to the tales of older brothers Joseph and Edward, and younger sisters Beatrice (now married to Thomas Renford, a blacksmith down the street, five years older than Bill) and Laura.

Finally Bill turns the subject back to the second practical reason for his visit, besides getting in touch with family:

Bill directly orders Smithers to wait outside a moment.

"Dad, 'er Majesty 'as sent me a couple strange places already, but at least they was on this 'ere planet. This trip to Venus 'as me worried some." Bill digs in his pocket for four crumpled 10 pound notes. "This 'ere is 40 pounds, 'alf me wordly savings. Don't see as it'll do me any good on Venus, 'an... well, I'd sure appreciate if you could hold it for me, an' if I in't back for it wi'in five year, divide it up amongst the family as you judge best, according to need. 'Ere's also a little bag of knicknacks, rocks an' beads an' native trinkets I've picked up 'ere an' there; same thing, except please give 'em out to any nieces or nephews, year by year as you judge 'em old enough, as something from their Uncle Bill they never got to meet."

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 15th, 2014 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: deleted Mum reference to avoid conflict w what Aramis says below
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

"Boy, I dinna like you joinin' the Regiment. I dinna like you going an riskin' life an limb for God an' Country when I can hardly see. I ain't quite right with you going to another planet... but damn, boy, if y'r gonna go, do it right. You'll find your room just as ye left it, so if ye need anything..." he peels three of the four 10ú notes off, shoves the fourth back at Bill, "Ain't entirely uncivil there, said the man who sold me that book, so you better keep a bit of fodder. Your mum's off t' her sister's on the other side of town. Y'better stop in when done w' your business. And so long as y'bring em back, take a double handful. And if that young man with ye is your batman, he can borrow a couple, too." It's obvious the Old Man's happy to see you, and still doesn't approve of the uniform, but he's not about to admit to either at the moment.

And, aside from the dirty clothes having been washed and folded, the tiny bedroom is exactly as it was left 4 years ago after that weekend pass, and the argument. Right down to the 2/5╝ in loose change on the windowsill.

[NB: I'm envisioning him as reminiscent of Bert Large on Doc Martin. And that's where I'm drawing inspiration from.]

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene