Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
tbeard1999 Citizen
Default Timing/Effect and Initiative Finalized

From Mongoose regarding what items have been finalized:

Quote:
...The basic time/effect mechanic isn't going to be changing any more (although it's been slightly tweaked from 3.2 to have open-ended results instead of capped; we're currently adjusting the other figures, such as weapon damage, to reflect this). Mechanics based on this, such as the skills and combat sections, are also pretty much finalised with a few exceptions - movement in combat being one of those. If you still want to look at these sections, concentrate on amendments to the basic systems and picking up missing stuff rather than sweeping changes.
So two of the worst RPG mechanics that I've seen are gonna be combined in the new Mongoose Traveller. Great.

And the numerous valiant attempts to beat the timing/effect system into something resembling a workable system were in vain. I am unsurprised; clearly, the designer is in love with his mechanics and will brook no significant change to them. Personally, I think he should have been honest about this with the playtesters.

Just what we've been waiting for...another crappy version of Traveller with defective mechanics...<sigh>

I also note that Mongoose has declined to release the final draft of the timing/effect system to playtesters. I don't blame them; if previous versions are any indication, they will be defective and will attract some negativity. Can't have that, you know.

Last edited by tbeard1999; February 6th, 2008 at 01:25 PM..
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Able Baker Citizen

That´s a bummer.

Have you ever seen a positive playtest report online?
Like an actual play example?

I´ve only seen negative ones, but there are people who still like it. They haven´t posted public replays though.
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

It's a shame, because it seems like such a clever mechanic. I should try it out and see what happens.

It probably is a preferred mechanic for the designer.

'Course, I've been indirectly on the receiving end of criticism for Traveller, and what seems to happen is that a core group dislike one or two key things, voice their concerns, but then get angry when nothing changes. Meanwhile, others who don't mind it so much don't speak up. So the net result is negative on the boards.

I'm not saying tbeard is fuming -- I'd be surprised if he was, he seems pretty calm -- but I think others may be. Apparently the mechanic seems to break up the flow of play, in a way that other mechanics don't (perhaps because of the turn phases created). The phases themselves seem reminiscent of CT starship combat.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; February 6th, 2008 at 03:19 PM..
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
It's a shame, because it seems like such a clever mechanic. I should try it out and see what happens.
Yeah, that's the problem. It is a clever mechanic. It simply yields lousy results. Worse, there are a number of alternative approaches that can produce the same information without the lousy results.

And at the end of the day, cleverness is no substitute for reasonable results. IMHO of course.

Quote:
It probably is a preferred mechanic for the designer.
Seems safe to assume that, given his reluctance to make any significant changes to it.

Quote:
I'm not saying tbeard is fuming -- I'd be surprised if he was, he seems pretty calm -- but I think others may be.
Thanks for the compliment, but I have probably fumed at times. I see a priceless opportunity being wasted here and that bums me out.

Quote:
Apparently the mechanic seems to break up the flow of play, in a way that other mechanics don't (perhaps because of the turn phases created). The phases themselves seem reminiscent of CT starship combat.
The description that I think sums up both the timing/effect and initiative systems is "needlessly fussy".
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I see a priceless opportunity being wasted here and that bums me out.
I'm fuming. On the inside. I'm just not that vocal about it aside from a post here and there. I learned with the ACT playtest (if you change the names of ACT and Mongoose, you're talking about the same type of playtest) that nothing will change.

I'm not sure what the playtest is all about? Maybe, it's marketing and typos.

Anyway, I'm completely disappointed in Mongoose. I was excited they were going to take on Traveller. Heck, I would have voted for them to do so, predicting the results would be G-R-E-A-T.

Sadly, they're not.

Whelp, I'll just stick with my first love, Classic Traveller.

(And, another old grognard doesn't buy MGT...)
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

OK. Well, I'll tell you then, the mechanic was an early preference, and it was known to be a calculated risk to put in the rules. In other words, the authors are out to make something they like, and some of us aren't going to be happy about that, and they knew it.

Perhaps everyone fortunate enough to see a game develop sees this happen, again and again.

I've seen Marc called names on this forum, mainly for his immobility regarding what he wants. I'm starting to suspect that that's just the way game development goes, and no matter how badly your game is going awry, if you're not catching crap from someone, then you've got no chance at all, and noone ever cared about stuff you do.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; February 6th, 2008 at 06:55 PM..
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
I'm fuming. On the inside. I'm just not that vocal about it aside from a post here and there. I learned with the ACT playtest (if you change the names of ACT and Mongoose, you're talking about the same type of playtest) that nothing will change.
I don't think I've seen you be rude on this forum, ever, either. So you must keep it all bottled up, or take it out on NPC corsairs in the outsystem. "This one's name is TBeard! Blamblamblamblam!!!"

So, I want to hear mooore about nothing changing in re: ACT playtest. I've heard naught but kudos about ACT, nary a snivel indeed. So what gives?
Tools Link
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:20 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
OK. Well, I'll tell you then, the mechanic was an early preference, and it was known to be a calculated risk to put in the rules. In other words, the authors are out to make something they like, and some of us aren't going to be happy about that, and they knew it.
You mean they actually knew about the flaws and absurdities in that system and then went ahead anyway? Huh. I don't know whether I find their arrogance or their idiocy to be most offensive, if what you say is true.

"Hey Bob, got a great idea. Let's talk our boss into paying serious money for a Traveller license, then produce a version with mechanics that we know are defective and that will probably annoy most fans. That'll score us promotions for sure!"

I don't whether to despise them or pity them...
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallowglacht Citizen

Yeah, they were singing its praises long before the playtest files came out. In the SST section they said watch this space, something awesome coming. Yay I thought the Fleet and Skinnies books. No even better they said. We're killing off SST and remaking Traveller, it'll be awesome and we never liked SST anyway.

MGT just leaves me cold. A playtest left me bored and disapointed and I see the logic of all the flaws your analysis pointed out.
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
Yeah, they were singing its praises long before the playtest files came out.
Well, it appears I had them all wrong. I thought that they were just negligent and sloppy. I had no idea that someone could actually *play* that system for an extended amount of time without recognizing its defects...

The good news is that any residual guilt I might have had for criticizing this kludge has evaporated. Whilt I do feel loyalty to MWM and Traveller, I feel no obligation to spend money supporting an incompetent game design team's ego trip.
Closed Thread