Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old February 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Klaus Citizen

Those are all valid points, but, given that Traveller grognards are inveterate house-rulers, what is the likelihood, even if you did like the task system, that you wouldn't house rule out of the box. In the Traveller fraternity, house-ruling is the norm. Traveller seems to be made for easy house ruling. MGT is no different.

To put it another way...

S4, shoot me down if I make an assumption too far, but wouldn't a new task system have to be pretty damn sexy indeed for you to use it over and above your UGM?

In fact, given that there's only so much you can do with a 2D6 mechanic, what would Mongoose have to have done to sway the skeptics? At least, a mechanic that was qualitively different from regular CT, MT, or the UGM or variants of it.

At least T/E was an attempt to innovate. It may not work properly off the blocks but it is fixable. And, does not disrupt the game as written if you do not use it. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but that is true of any system.

What is this mythical new mechanic that folk seem to be waiting for?

(And that's an honest question )
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post

(And that's an honest question )
It's all revealed in SciFi20 of course!

Sorry had to go there
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
S4, shoot me down if I make an assumption too far, but wouldn't a new task system have to be pretty damn sexy indeed for you to use it over and above your UGM?
Yessir, indeed.

But...I worked hard on the UGM (you can see the development of it right here on these boards), and I made sure that IT made statistical sense.

The UGM isn't broken.

In fact, the MGT system is basically the UGM. The differences that Mongoose added to the UGM are the broken parts (the T/E mechanic and the stat -inflation).

And...just FYI...I don't really use the UGM in my game. I'm playing CT straight-out-of-the-box, no house rules.

If you read it in the rule book, that's pretty much the way I'm running my game.
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
It exists. Or, it could exist.

It wouldn't be THAT hard to create, either.

I'd say the Traveller mechanic should be:

1) Use only 2D.

2) Use a higher-is-better system.

3) Be statistically sound.

4) Treat stats and skills differently, because they represent different aspects and capabilities of the character.*

*We need to get away from the MT inspired you-get-X-DM-on-your-throw-if-stat-is-X and go with a system that addresses learned experience (skills) and natural ability (stats) in a better way.

The problem I'm seeing with MGT is that it's breaking Item #3 and Item #4 above.