Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old December 26th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Default Genesys

I asked for and received a copy of FFG's Genesys for crimbo, and the delivery Ithklur even brought me three sets of dice for it too.

(don't tell the wife but I already bought the pdf version and downloaded the dice app)

First game - CT Death Station of course
For character generation I had them design characters as per the book (with a little digging into the GM section about changing stuff) then ran them through the most appropriate Traveller career from LBB1 or CoTI - 10XP per skill earned during life path.

They were hired to go and investigate the station, this time the NPCs going with them are a group of scientists. Much role playing of the trip later they arrived at the station.

Next session they may even get aboard it...

Anyone else got Genesys or experience with FFG's Star Wars line? The dice are taking a bit of getting used to, but I do like the way it encourages the players to role play.
I'm not sure we are getting the dice pool stuff right.
Old December 26th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I'm currently running an FFG SW campaign.
I have the hardcover of Genesya (via my FLGS).

The differences are minor, mechanically, but enough to need different character sheets.

Dice use different symbols from the SW ones, but the odds and the names of the symbols (and their mechanical uses by name) are the same.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 26th, 2017, 05:14 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

How long did it take you to internalise the dice so you don't need to look up every symbol and result for each dice throw?

I have made a crib sheet that helps a lot, but I bet the game really comes alive when you are not looking up every bloody symbol lol.
Old December 30th, 2017, 01:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gardensnake Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
How long did it take you to internalise the dice so you don't need to look up every symbol and result for each dice throw?

I have made a crib sheet that helps a lot, but I bet the game really comes alive when you are not looking up every bloody symbol lol.
I've only played the Stars Wars variants of this, Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. It really only took me a couple of sessions to learn the dice. It's fairly intuitive and I have to say, I like the system. It really seems to balance crunch and role-play without being as meta as FATE. As much as I like FATE, it almost seems to be a game within a game, and to me that gets in the way of roleplaying. I don't want to play the system, I want the system to allow me to play the game. FFG's system allows me to do that. It really opens up the "You succeeded, but" scenarios.

William

Last edited by Gardensnake; December 30th, 2017 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old December 30th, 2017, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post

Me? less than two sessions.

My players? Most of them around 2-4 sessions. Some first session, at least one, well over 20, as he cannot seem to read them correctly after 6 months of play.

As far as the threat and advantage spends - some need a cheat sheet, some don't. And some refuse to memorize it correctly because they can't be arsed to follow the rules.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 30th, 2017, 05:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
ovka Citizen+ovka Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
And some refuse to memorize it correctly because they can't be arsed to follow the rules.
I've always taken the standpoint that it is the GM's job to know the rules, and the player's job to roleplay. If my player's eventually learn the rules because they make the same die roles over-and-over, that's great, but when I GM, I don't force rule learning.

Some rule sets and games don't lend themselves to that style of GMing and playing. I tend not to GM those rule sets and games.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovka View Post
I've always taken the standpoint that it is the GM's job to know the rules, and the player's job to roleplay.
This. Absolutely.

In fact, I actually prefer that the players know little about the rules. Just tell me what you want to do, and I'll tell you what to roll.

I don't have any of these players anymore, but when I did, I found the game was always focused on the story--as it should be--and never the rules.
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
This. Absolutely.

In fact, I actually prefer that the players know little about the rules. Just tell me what you want to do, and I'll tell you what to roll.

I don't have any of these players anymore, but when I did, I found the game was always focused on the story--as it should be--and never the rules.
Personally, I find your point of view on this the single most toxic attitude possible for gaming. Worse even than munchkin rules-lawyering.

Not knowing the game prevents one from making informed meaningful choices. And without meaningful choices, I may as well not bother. Without them being informed, I'm likely to do things that the character wouldn't or shouldn't do in the situation; essentially, my choices are less meaningful because of being uninformed of what my character is and is not capable of.

Worse is the munchkin player in such a situation - because he's always pushing for well more than what is reasonable, and wasting everyone's time at table by constantly probing for excess he can pull.

Further, as a GM, it wastes time. If everyone knows the basics, all the GM needs to do is state the difficulty and/or modifier.

Further still, most of the GM's trying to push that style of play that I've known have had a story in their head that they're going to force everyone through. Which is really bad for many newbs as they come to realize they don't have meaningful choices.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Personally, I find your point of view on this the single most toxic attitude possible for gaming. Worse even than munchkin rules-lawyering.

Not knowing the game prevents one from making informed meaningful choices. And without meaningful choices, I may as well not bother.
It's about roleplaying, Wil. Just playing a character. Doing what the character would do and not playing the rules to one's best advantage.

Though, as GM, I would inform a player who doesn't know the rules about important rule effects, when appropriate.

It's about living in that character's shoes as if the player really were that character, reacting to the environment and the events around him instead of reacting to rules.

And, if that's not your style of play, then that's OK. You and I aren't playing together.
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
ovka Citizen+ovka Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
It's about roleplaying, Wil. Just playing a character. Doing what the character would do and not playing the rules to one's best advantage.

Though, as GM, I would inform a player who doesn't know the rules about important rule effects, when appropriate.

It's about living in that character's shoes as if the player really were that character, reacting to the environment and the events around him instead of reacting to rules.

And, if that's not your style of play, then that's OK. You and I aren't playing together.
I have to agree with S4 here. Playing this way, my players feel more free to try things they otherwise might not.

Experienced Player:
"My movement rate is x. How long will it take to run down the stairs and across the ballroom to confront the Duke?"

GM:
"Three rounds"

Inexperienced Player:
"Can I jump from the railing, grab the chandelier, swing across the ballroom, and land on the table in front of the Duke?"

GM:
"Sure you can try it. It'll be hard. Here are the rolls you would need to make."

Experienced Player:
"Hey, that's not in the rules!"

I prefer that my players know more about the kind of story they want to tell and less about the rules.

YMMV

Cheers,

Baron Ovka