Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old April 26th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Depends on that complicated mix of society, culture and economics.

Consumerism might be a lot less prevalent on a world where products aren't normally disposable.

Status indicators might be wearing complex Rolex relics rather than the latest new smartwatches.
You either allow for interstellar trade on a reasonable scale, or you assume that it is a minuscule factor and can be ignored. If you do the latter, what you have left of Traveller is basically a science fiction military role-playing game.

I am assuming that interstellar trade exists in sufficient volume to make a Free Trader practical, and speculative trading profitable if you can buy low and sell high, with the reverse also possible.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I am been looking at the Trade Goods Table a fair amount, and I am running into a problem that I need to find the solution.

The problem is when I start plugging stowage factors into the volume occupied by the Traveller dTon, which is the standard for measuring ship displacement.

Let's look at the case of general food goods which I will plug in under Basic Consumable Goods. The stated cost per ton is 1000 Credits. Based on the U.S. Army Transportation Reference Manual, I should be able to put 5 tons of mixed food goods into a Traveller dTon. The standard TL 9 200 Merchant has 85 dTons of cargo space. Therefore, I could put 425 tons of mixed food goods into that ship. Assuming that I do well buying them on an Agricultural planet, I might pay 600 credits per ton of food. When I sell them, I just manage an 8 on the Sales die roll, and sell them for 1000 credits per ton. My gross profit per ton is 400 credits, giving me 170,000 credits, well in excess of the 85,000 credits I could have earned by carrying cargo for hire. If I had rolled better, say a 12, my gross profit would be 425,000 Credits. That can make speculative trading even in basic goods quite lucrative. If I go to the expanded table, it could get even more interesting.

Now I need to figure out how I soak up all of the potential ready profits in speculative trading.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old May 7th, 2019, 01:48 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Now I need to figure out how I soak up all of the potential ready profits in speculative trading.

Soak up? Do you mean in terms of cash sinks?
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:11 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
When I sell them, I just manage an 8 on the Sales die roll, and sell them for 1000 credits per ton. My gross profit per ton is 400 credits, giving me 170,000 credits, well in excess of the 85,000 credits I could have earned by carrying cargo for hire. If I had rolled better, say a 12, my gross profit would be 425,000 Credits. That can make speculative trading even in basic goods quite lucrative. If I go to the expanded table, it could get even more interesting.
What if you rolled a 2?

The base point seems to be that, "on average", you gross more profit from speculative trade than basic cargo.

At it's most base, speculative trade being random can lead to Gambler's Ruin. The trick is balancing the profit curve perhaps to something flatter. But even Book 2 suffered this, and RAW there were certainly "honey runs" that would make a trader fat.

GT: Far Trader I think is far less lucrative, but a more complex model.
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:43 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

I have come up with a quick way of checking to see if the prices for trade goods are reasonable, low, or high. As the price represents the cost of one metric ton of goods, then dividing by 1000 gives you the price per kilogram.

Animal products at 1.5 Credits per kilo looks a bit low.
Appliances at 12 Credits a kilo looks a tad hign.
Manufacturing Equipment at 750 Credits a kilo is way too high.
Precious Metals at 50 Credits a kilo looks quite low.
Agricultural Equipment at 150 Credits a kilo looks more than a bit high.
Grav Vehicles should be considered on a vehicle basic, not per ton.
Crystals and Gems at 20 Credits a kilo are way too low.
Personal Weapons and Armor at 30 Credits a kilo is definitely too low.

Military Equipment at 150 Credits a kilo is one of those catch-all areas that needs to be further worked on. That could mean anything from uniforms, tents, cots, and shoes to self-propelled artillery and tanks, to say nothing of aircraft.

As for the illegal drugs and stuff, I plan on dropping that, as I have no desire to encourage criminality on the part of the players, although that is going to happen anyway. I figure I will let them come up with it and do their own work.