Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old March 24th, 2019, 08:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 7
Diveguy Citizen+Diveguy Citizen+
Default Commission/Promotion "Dumbing Down"

So, as part of looking at original LBB character career progressions, and then comparing them to modern interpretations (Mongoose/Cepheus/Whatever) - I've noticed a definite trend to "Dumbing down" the advancement requirements. Also, again, I'm looking at JUST LBB style characters, as opposed to Mercenary/High Guard/Whatever.

For example - LBB-1 a Marine needs a 9 unmodified for both Commission and Promotion; in Cepheus Engine they need a 6 and a 7.

LBB-1 Navy needs a 10 and an 8; CE it becomes a 7 and a 6.

Now, I've always bemoaned the military rank progression in Traveller anyway - the tendency to end up with Colonels and Admirals going on adventures alongside Dukes, all for a pittance of credits that they should rightfully be paying minions to handle. But, that's a separate issue.

At least with the "Original" you had characters more or less struggling to make rank. If you've got an unmodified roll that people are going to make 50% of the time, even without stats adjusting things, then the odds of those "new" PCs being rank 5/6 grows dramatically.

Am I the only one frustrated by this? Wanting a better balance of rank/progression systems, without totally limiting the characters? And yes, I realize several of the rewrites include enlisted rank structures as well, but that doesn't totally address the problem.

Shershe DAGU 2728 C540874-8
Ulaun ZARU 0405 C667153-A
TAS Ulaun
SEH

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.