Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old January 3rd, 2019, 04:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 8
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+
Default Random thoughts about the characters in Firefly

I have a random observation about the characters in Firefly. Joss Whedon has stated that it's based on a campaign done in a 'major science-fiction system' that he played during the 1980s. Given that there are quite a few Traveller-isms scattered throughout the episodes, it's often theorised that the game in question was Traveller, although he's never confirmed this publically.

However, I noticed the other day that some of the characters could have been based on characters from a Traveller campaign, for example:
  • Jayne, the criminal thug (Other)
  • Kaylee, the engineer with low education.
  • Simon, the doctor with high social standing.
  • Wash, the pilot with no real combat skills.
  • A couple of army types.
Not sure if this has been noted before, although I don't think I've ever seen this commented anywhere.

That's all.

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.