Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old February 5th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

First thing, I need to decide which sub-sector to put planet Mongo in, under a Charismatic Dictator by the name of Ming.

Second, after giving the matter a lot of thought, I am going to throw out or at least drastically re-arrange the existing government types and law levels. I just need to determine the link, if any, between population numbers, government type, and law level. On a fairly large planet, say 6,000 to 9,000 miles diameter and a population of say in the millions or even tens of millions, saying that a planetary government exists is a bit of a joke, along with a consistent law level. If the planet has a high hydrographic percentage as well, I would view it as pretty much always Balkanized, with more than one star port as each island or small continent tries to get exclusive control of interstellar trade. Any government type or law level would apply only to the immediate area of the star port. That would definitely make adventuring more interesting. What are the characters really going to encounter once they leave the environs of the star port?

Third, I think that I will set population limits for any given Tech Level for self-sufficiency. Great Britain, prior to World War 2, could produce the full spectrum of Tech Level 5 equipment, and maybe Tech Level 6, so for those levels, a population in the tens of millions is needed. A small Middle Eastern country, bordering on the Mediterranean, can produce a variety of Tech Level 8 equipment, but cannot produce the full range of material available. For that, you need a population much larger than millions, more like hundreds of millions. For full production of all Tech Level 8 and higher equipment, a population on the order of hundreds of millions is needed. Otherwise, the planet is dependent on interstellar imports to maintain the tech level.

Looking at that, I have the suspicion that maybe my rules modification might not be as concise as I had thought.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 12th, 2019, 09:33 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

When is comes to government type, I am giving serious though to flipping the government type table, and having the more restrictive governments have the lower numbers, then go with a 2D6 roll minus the population exponent. This would give smaller population worlds a wider range of government types, while as the population went up, the chances for a more restrictive government become greater.

Then, I need to work on what coupling, if any, will there be between the government type and law level. Also under consideration is an increase in the number of government types along with changing some of them.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old February 15th, 2019, 11:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

wellis Citizen

What are the big worlds in your setting you would say? The ones with the high tech militaries I mean. Or are powerful economic centers.
Old March 4th, 2019, 06:33 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
What are the big worlds in your setting you would say? The ones with the high tech militaries I mean. Or are powerful economic centers.
I have not forgotten you, Wellis. I just have been busy with some family issues that took precedence. As a quick and dirty answer, most of the more advanced worlds with a military are Space Viking. Take a look at some of Piper's books, particularly Four Day Planet, to get a feel for some of the other ones. As you go farther out, the planets tend to be basically unexplored, so are wide open to whatever the Game Master or referee wants.

And do not forget, this is the Piper-Norton sector. Andre Norton means magic with science fiction added in.

Old March 4th, 2019, 10:15 PM

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I have not forgotten you, Wellis. I just have been busy with some family issues that took precedence. As a quick and dirty answer, most of the more advanced worlds with a military are Space Viking. Take a look at some of Piper's books, particularly Four Day Planet, to get a feel for some of the other ones. As you go farther out, the planets tend to be basically unexplored, so are wide open to whatever the Game Master or referee wants.

And do not forget, this is the Piper-Norton sector. Andre Norton means magic with science fiction added in.
That's interesting. Have the Space Vikings ever attempted to raid all the way back to Earth? And have any magical artifacts found their way back to Earth, considering some of the weird things explorers and Scouts have run into?

I understand the Piper-Norton sector is generally out beyond the control of the Terran Confederation or the two rival Imperiums in your setting.

Has the hyperdrive, especially the H-2 drive, had a wider impact allowing for exploration through rifts that would halt jump drives through sheer distance, among the 3 big civilizations back around Earth, since it and the two Imperiums only control 30 parsecs around them?
Old March 5th, 2019, 02:07 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
That's interesting. Have the Space Vikings ever attempted to raid all the way back to Earth? And have any magical artifacts found their way back to Earth, considering some of the weird things explorers and Scouts have run into?
Earth is a good 120 to 160 parsecs from the nearest planet in the sector, so the Space Vikings have not even tried that. As for magical items, to be honest, I have not thought about that, although one Scout ship got bounced all the way back to Terra in some unknown manner, so Terra knows that there is something very odd further out. They just want it to stay "further out".

Quote:
I understand the Piper-Norton sector is generally out beyond the control of the Terran Confederation or the two rival Imperiums in your setting.

Has the hyperdrive, especially the H-2 drive, had a wider impact allowing for exploration through rifts that would halt jump drives through sheer distance, among the 3 big civilizations back around Earth, since it and the two Imperiums only control 30 parsecs around them?
Again, I have not really thought about that, but it definitely would make crossing some of the large Rifts possible, as long as you properly stockpiled your life support. Two way communication would be a be tough, at one parsec a week. Some of the later Piper books have the ships covering a light-year an hour, or about 7 parsecs a day. That would make for easier communication, but I am not pushing the Dillingham Hyperdrive that far. Ships that fast probably would tempt the Space Vikings to have a try at Terra and planets close to it.

Old March 5th, 2019, 02:50 AM

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Earth is a good 120 to 160 parsecs from the nearest planet in the sector, so the Space Vikings have not even tried that. As for magical items, to be honest, I have not thought about that, although one Scout ship got bounced all the way back to Terra in some unknown manner, so Terra knows that there is something very odd further out. They just want it to stay "further out".
How much does Earth pay attention to the area the Piper-Norton sector is in? Do they try to pay closer attention than most might realize?

Or is much of their attention more focused on those two Imperiums you mentioned?
Quote:
Again, I have not really thought about that, but it definitely would make crossing some of the large Rifts possible, as long as you properly stockpiled your life support. Two way communication would be a be tough, at one parsec a week. Some of the later Piper books have the ships covering a light-year an hour, or about 7 parsecs a day. That would make for easier communication, but I am not pushing the Dillingham Hyperdrive that far. Ships that fast probably would tempt the Space Vikings to have a try at Terra and planets close to it.
IIRC you said H-2 is probably the fastest hyperdrives could go, a parsec a week.

I get the feeling if the Space Vikings did try to take a crack at Terra, that they would discover what real navies are like?

Hmm are ships in your mileau all spherical or something?
Old March 5th, 2019, 05:16 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
How much does Earth pay attention to the area the Piper-Norton sector is in? Do they try to pay closer attention than most might realize?

Or is much of their attention more focused on those two Imperiums you mentioned?
That is the type of thing that is up to the referee and players, not me to dictate it. If they want Terra to send some people out, more power to them. Then again, they may find themselves out there regardless. There is this planet called "Triangle".

Quote:
IIRC you said H-2 is probably the fastest hyperdrives could go, a parsec a week.

I get the feeling if the Space Vikings did try to take a crack at Terra, that they would discover what real navies are like?
The Cepheus Engine SRD does allow for much faster hyperdrives. I just have decided to go with something slower.

As for the Space Vikings, they are not interested in fighting space battles, their focus is on profitable raiding, just like their Viking namesakes. If they find a suitable world, they have no problems moving it and establishing themselves. Dead raiders do not get rich or retire.

Quote:
Hmm are ships in your mileau all spherical or something?
Actually, I have been discussing them in another thread. They tend to be cylindrical, more like a submarine than a sphere.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=39882

Old March 10th, 2019, 07:42 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

To Mike Wightman

There will be some psi powers in the Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector, but not the ones presently in the game. I am thinking of more of the "wild talent" sort of Psi that shows up in Andre Norton's works. Mind links with animals are one, and not necessarily modified animals as appear in Beastmaster and Catseye. Then there is the "time sense" ability of Travis Fox in Galactic Derelict that she introduces but never takes any farther. That would be an enormous benefit in the Out Rim Sector that I am putting together, as there are a lot of traces of other space-faring races in it, along with other ruins. In her books, Psi seems to work for those who are down-troddened, rather than the well-off, so maybe a reverse look at social standing for Psi. The higher the standing, the lower the likelihood of psi ability. Possibly viewing education in a reverse way as well, assuming that education will make a person less likely to accept something well out of the ordinary.

Last edited by timerover51; March 11th, 2019 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Correcting Grammar
Old March 11th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Thanks for that timerover51.

I am really enjoying your work on this sector.