Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old May 30th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
shankfisher Citizen

I like CE because it's clean and easy to use. I come from a GURPS background, and have some experience with CT. For me, CE is the preferred system because it's 1) OGL, meaning it's not stuck by what "the boss" thinks it should be. It's in the wild, and in very good hands. It's also cheap. You don't have to pay exorbitant prices for what you don't want. 2) the rules within CE are easier to use than CT, but still play nice with CT. It's easy to convert and use all that great CT material. CE is more streamlined and easier to use than Mongoose.
Old May 30th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankfisher View Post
I like CE because it's clean and easy to use. I come from a GURPS background, and have some experience with CT. For me, CE is the preferred system because it's 1) OGL, meaning it's not stuck by what "the boss" thinks it should be. It's in the wild, and in very good hands. It's also cheap. You don't have to pay exorbitant prices for what you don't want. 2) the rules within CE are easier to use than CT, but still play nice with CT. It's easy to convert and use all that great CT material. CE is more streamlined and easier to use than Mongoose.
It works both ways. Material for CE can be used for CT as well, if you are careful with writing it. I am working on some equipment lists for CE and making sure that they will work with Classic as well.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old May 30th, 2018, 11:05 PM

shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
It works both ways. Material for CE can be used for CT as well, if you are careful with writing it. I am working on some equipment lists for CE and making sure that they will work with Classic as well.
Yes, that's true. It's an easy conversion to pull off. All those years of collecting CT stuff are not wasted.
Co-Author: GURPS High-Tech.
Lead Playtester: GURPS Traveller Starships and GURPS WWII.
Additional Material Credit: GURPS WWII, GURPS Traveller Starports and Ground Forces.
Playtester: GURPS Mass Combat, GURPS Spaceships,GURPS Space, GURPS Vehicles.
Old May 31st, 2018, 08:12 AM
Baron

Gallery : 79
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankfisher View Post
Yes, that's true. It's an easy conversion to pull off. All those years of collecting CT stuff are not wasted.
Collecting Traveller is never wasted time!

I've a few Cepheus supplements, and a lot of CT and Mongoose. When I do get to play we're not tightly coupled to the rules so I use whatever fits best at the time. Even T5 has its good points buried in there that I borrow.

But I do really like that everything is pretty interchangeable between Classic & Cepheus. It really opens things up.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Traveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old May 31st, 2018, 12:20 PM

shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
Collecting Traveller is never wasted time!
...But I do really like that everything is pretty interchangeable between Classic & Cepheus. It really opens things up.
Yeah, my books are pushing me out of my house, and my HD is ready for an upgrade. I don't care. Some people golf, I collect RPGs.

But seriously, the nice thing about CE is it "feels" like the game industry in the 1980s. It's fun, it's wild, it's organic. There's no corporate pressure to make a profit at all costs as much as there is someone writing to their interests. That makes better books, imo. It's exciting.
Co-Author: GURPS High-Tech.
Lead Playtester: GURPS Traveller Starships and GURPS WWII.
Additional Material Credit: GURPS WWII, GURPS Traveller Starports and Ground Forces.
Playtester: GURPS Mass Combat, GURPS Spaceships,GURPS Space, GURPS Vehicles.
Old June 1st, 2018, 03:41 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I'm looking at converting CE Vehicle Design to Striker armor and weapon values, just cause its a LOT easier to make up a CE version then go through the full Striker creation method.
Old June 1st, 2018, 08:37 AM
Baron

Gallery : 79
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
I'm looking at converting CE Vehicle Design to Striker armor and weapon values, just cause its a LOT easier to make up a CE version then go through the full Striker creation method.
I spent a lot of college building vehicles in Striker. Never really used them, but it was fun (like most of my experience with Traveller, it really lends itself to solo play just to generate worlds, cultures, ships, vehicles, even the character generation is a game that can be played solo).

I even kept starting to write some software to aid in that but it always got bogged down.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Traveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old June 9th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

casquilho Citizen

In my opinion, the differences are very subtle and almost not a big deal. I believe the CE and CT and Mongoose 1e are all places I can mine for things to use in my games.

I do need to thank Mongoose 2e for pushing me toward CE though. I like what the folks are creating for CE quite a bit.
Old June 9th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by casquilho View Post
In my opinion, the differences are very subtle and almost not a big deal. I believe the CE and CT and Mongoose 1e are all places I can mine for things to use in my games.

I do need to thank Mongoose 2e for pushing me toward CE though. I like what the folks are creating for CE quite a bit.
What were the big crunch changes in Mongoose 2e from Mongoose 1e?
Old June 12th, 2018, 06:05 PM

MacTrom Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to MacTrom Send a message via Skype™ to MacTrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
What were the big crunch changes in Mongoose 2e from Mongoose 1e?
Id like to know as well.