Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
]If you're trying to use Mongoose Traveller as a simulator... don't do that. Stick to something like GURPS, if that is already working for you (unless destroying a car by punching on it is not very realistic either).
I don't expect a simulation, I expect verisimilitude. That is, I expect the rules to meet at least vaguely my expectations I gather from the rules. An Air Superiority Fighter that's made of egg shells, or an air/raft that's destroyed by a low-tech barbarian with a sword just breaks the game. YMMV.

Quote:
Tons? Then maybe someone has made a house rule that takes care of the issue. Hopefully it's realistic as well.
I don't pay the high price of Mongoose books to be told "go figure it out yourself." It's basically either an epic level of incompetence, or theft.
Co-Author: GURPS High-Tech.
Lead Playtester: GURPS Traveller Starships and GURPS WWII.
Additional Material Credit: GURPS WWII, GURPS Traveller Starports and Ground Forces.
Playtester: GURPS Mass Combat, GURPS Spaceships,GURPS Space, GURPS Vehicles.

Last edited by shankfisher; June 3rd, 2018 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankfisher View Post
There's lots of good in MgT, but the vehicles are not one of those things.
The issue is every time they touch a technical issue it changes. Vehicles is just the worst extreme of the situation.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:09 AM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
I don't expect a simulation, I expect verisimilitude. That is, I expect the rules to meet at least vaguely my expectations I gather from the rules. An Air Superiority Fighter that's made of egg shells, or an air/raft that's destroyed by a low-tech barbarian with a sword just breaks the game. YMMV.
I figured you were thinking of another sword. Yes, that probably wouldn't look right in your verisimilitude.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:26 AM

shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
Yes, that probably wouldn't look right in your verisimilitude.
It doesn't work for me or a lot of other people -- but then, I'm just reading the rules and expecting them to work. Judging by your comments here, that's expecting too much. Mongoose has tried at least three attempts to get it right and failed every single time. But hey, maybe I'll go play another game...
Additional Material Credit: GURPS WWII, GURPS Traveller Starports and Ground Forces.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:30 AM

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
My initial reaction is just to multiply hull and structure by ten. This doesn't quite fix the problem but it does reduce it, but I need to see what follow-on effects there are. Another fundamental problem going back to CT is that melee weapons do too much damage (to non-living objects).

I remember years ago when I realized how you destroyed a vehicle in GURPS: you didn't reduce hp to zero, you penetrated the armor with an incendiary or high explosive round, hoped that started an interior fire, and that fire caused the vehicle's fuel or ammo to explode. At that point, vehicle hp were pretty irrelevant.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:31 AM

shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
The issue is every time they touch a technical issue it changes. Vehicles is just the worst extreme of the situation.
Well, if certain people in this thread prove to be the fan base, you can see why the quality is what it is. I wonder do they actually play the game? Do they listen to playtesters? Pity.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:37 AM

shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon C View Post
My initial reaction is just to multiply hull and structure by ten. This doesn't quite fix the problem but it does reduce it, but I need to see what follow-on effects there are. Another fundamental problem going back to CT is that melee weapons do too much damage (to non-living objects).
Since the weapons aren't dealing out a reasonable spread of damage you'll have problems with the weapon damages making sense with the higher HPs, I imagine. Nothing is properly scaled.

Quote:
I remember years ago when I realized how you destroyed a vehicle in GURPS: you didn't reduce hp to zero, you penetrated the armor with an incendiary or high explosive round, hoped that started an interior fire, and that fire caused the vehicle's fuel or ammo to explode. At that point, vehicle hp were pretty irrelevant
And that makes a certain amount of sense, too. It's believable. Some of the 4e stuff, like machineguns killing battleships, is really wonky. The fixes are pretty solid though -- mostly returning to the more proven 3e rules. Honestly, Mongoose makes GURPS look like the gold standard for vehicles rules. But you probably already realized that!
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:45 AM

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Since the weapons aren't dealing out a reasonable spread of damage you'll have problems with the weapon damages making sense with the higher HPs, I imagine. Nothing is properly scaled.
Yeah, although this can be traced back to CT as well.

Quote:
And that makes a certain amount of sense, too. It's believable. Some of the 4e stuff, like machineguns killing battleships, is really wonky. The fixes are pretty solid though -- mostly returning to the more proven 3e rules. Honestly, Mongoose makes GURPS look like the gold standard for vehicles rules. But you probably already realized that!
As I look though fixes for MgT, it starts looking a lot like GT, which makes me wonder why I'm not just using GT. So, I'm trying to find minimal changes.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old June 3rd, 2018, 07:19 AM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Well, if certain people in this thread prove to be the fan base, you can see why the quality is what it is. I wonder do they actually play the game? Do they listen to playtesters? Pity.
Actually you hit on the one of the issues, how the game Plays. But I digress.

I loved what MgT does with character creation it was one of the most brilliant bits done for Traveller in a long time, couple that with the fact that most of MgT1st is largely transparent to CT and visa-versa made for a great foundation.

The buildy bits on the other hand are a bit problematic. The biggest issue with ships was the absolute silence on how to treat a bunch of aspects of both Ship combat and design. Now in that case we had CT to fill in solutions in places that where problematic.

Now on to vehicles, it took them two tries to get a workable system for MgT1sted. But for the most part that system worked and was consistent with itself.

On a slightly broader view at Mongoose publishing history with one technical issues, every tech book they released has had a different base than the ones previous. Which leads to the mass of confusion of what anything specifically does. So it becomes a choice of what the specifications of your game are over what is actually published.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Hmm, just doing a mental exercise with CT Striker, the rules don't say you can attack an air/raft with a broadsword, so you'd be in place to say its not possible at all. If you adjust the melee penetration by -4, the anti-personnel tables align and you could conceivably say that applies to vehicle damage.

At that point, broadswords do damage like a rifle and can be damaging external sensors, tires etc. At armor factor 7 they can't do damage at all. So it's still a bit squirelly, but it was handled before.

Old school CT didn't really deal with this sort of question at all, as the vehicles didn't have an armor factor OR subsystem damage.

As to broadswords vs. rifles, probably not far off re: nasty damage- different kinds of wounds, but bad enough.

If I were retrofitting for MgT, probably have tiered types of armor-

• melee
  • gun
  • vehicle
  • starship
Going up each level, take 3D off. So a rifle firing on a vehicle takes 3D off, and a melee weapon attacking a vehicle takes 6D off.