Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old June 4th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankfisher View Post
I thought the cyberpunk stuff in 2300 was pretty poorly done. By comparison Z is far and away better. It captures the Japanese cultural aspects of cyberpunk very well.
What were the Japanese aspects of cyberpunk? It seems to me the only "Japanese" aspect of cyberpunk was that the whole "loyalty to the company" thing and generally in Japanese companies at the time, you had lifetime membership and they really did try to look out for their employees such as with vacations, meetings, and so on.

Though aspects such as going to a bar to drink all the time are still around nowadays. That and the whole "must do busywork to make it look like I'm busy so I don't clock out before the boss does" I guess.

Well there was the whole "Japan will own the world" in cyberpunk thing as well.

Makes me wonder if in 2300AD's cyberpunk stuff, France was equivalent of Japan in cyberpunk stuff there.
Old June 4th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Our view of how Japanese corporate culture becomes the norm is indirectly through an eighties era dark mirror.

It's modern feudalism by default.
Old June 4th, 2018, 03:24 PM

wellis Citizen

Considering the differences in technology, the expense of spacecraft, and the severe lack of planets where you can walk out in shortsleeves and breathe without a mask, do you think colonization of space here would play out different even as colonies become established places and so on in the future?

Compared to settings like the OTU I mean.

Hmm I'm wondering if terraforming may be a possible big business in HOSTILE, considering Aliens often had colonies that were being terraformed.
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

ltd Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post

If there is one thing I am a little surprised about, is not seeing the equivalent of High Passage in HOSTILE, for PC classes like executives and CEOs and such.

Because one thing we do see in settings like Aliens, is that sometimes the CEO or whoever comes around to inspect a place, and I can't imagine, if they're not using a yacht, that they would be slumming it in some Middle/Low Passage area on board a liner.
A more luxurious, but also restricted area, like Weyland's secret compartment in Prometheus perhaps?
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

infojunky Citizen

I have both ans am vastly amused by them.

A fair amount of the Traveller game in my head looks like Hostile.

As for Zaibatsu, mechanically it is interesting, and it covers a tiny niche of Cyberpunk fairly well. But honestly if I wanted that much Japan I would go visit my Mom and Brother... As I said it covers it's niche well, I just wish it had a slightly broader focus as a setting book.
Old June 4th, 2018, 11:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

shankfisher Citizen

Quote:
What were the Japanese aspects of cyberpunk?
Bruce Sterling and William Gibson, for one, incorporate Japanese culture into the genre from the beginning. So does ‘Cyberpunk’ by R. Talsorian Games. Watch Blade Runner or Black Rain, too. You'll see it.
Co-Author: GURPS High-Tech.
Lead Playtester: GURPS Traveller Starships and GURPS WWII.
Additional Material Credit: GURPS WWII, GURPS Traveller Starports and Ground Forces.
Playtester: GURPS Mass Combat, GURPS Spaceships,GURPS Space, GURPS Vehicles.
Old June 4th, 2018, 11:15 PM

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
I have both ans am vastly amused by them.

A fair amount of the Traveller game in my head looks like Hostile.

As for Zaibatsu, mechanically it is interesting, and it covers a tiny niche of Cyberpunk fairly well. But honestly if I wanted that much Japan I would go visit my Mom and Brother... As I said it covers it's niche well, I just wish it had a slightly broader focus as a setting book.
Judging by how Japanese corporate culture has spread here, presumably other cities might be similar, just replacing the yakuza eith ither criminal groups/syndicates.

Of course, I can't remember if other criminal groups were able to gain some legitimacy like the yakuza. Hmm maybe the American mafia or Russian mafia perhaps?

Some of the drug cartels in South America may have some legitimacy as well like that?
Old June 4th, 2018, 11:23 PM

infojunky Citizen

Quote:
Judging by how Japanese corporate culture has spread here,
Er? I don't see any corporate employment for life here. Heck that has gone the way of the Dodo in Japan as well for the most part.

But being a company man really isn't a Japanese meme but a corporate one.
Old June 5th, 2018, 01:05 AM

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunky View Post
Er? I don't see any corporate employment for life here. Heck that has gone the way of the Dodo in Japan as well for the most part.

But being a company man really isn't a Japanese meme but a corporate one.
But since this is based on 1980s Japan, that means that aspect of Japanese corporate life is probably still going strong here I imagine.
Quote:
BUSINESS CULTURE
Loyalty, obedience and duty to a multinational corporation is total, in this way business culture has been influenced greatly by the ethos and internal structure of the Japanese conglomerates (known colloquially as ‘zaibatsu’). For most executives their entire life revolves around their prosperity within the business and the prosperity of their employer. Family and children are a mere adjunct to the ‘real world’ of big business - the salary-man considers his workmates (and thus drinking buddies) more important than his wife. Much of this thinking is a legacy of the old Japanese business system of the 20th and 21st centuries. Central to the idea of corporate loyalty is the emphasis on group responsibility. Individuality is not tolerated. Groups (departments, offices, bureaus, production lines, etc.) work together and achieve targets, not individuals; groups also, together, suffer any penalties. Anyone who attempts to break the mould attracts attention: ‘Hey, look at me! I’m better than everyone else!’ Helping to build the team bonds are nomikai or ‘staff parties’ which are put on regularly, not simply once a year. Like karaoke, this Japanese phenomenon caught on as Japanese corporate influence spread through the global business community.

 Wear dark, unassuming suits and conservative ties. Do not attract attention.
 Acknowledge that your zaibatsu is the greatest (or has the most potential).
 Never contradict a superior to their face.
 Exchange business fone cards, which are your mark of rank.
 Conduct business based mainly on trust and long-term relationships, not on quick profits or quality. A conglomerate’s established buyers, customers and associates are almost considered to be a part of that corporation’s ‘network of obligations’.
 Treat your co-workers as buddies. Never go home at night, instead go drinking until late at a bar.
I mean it sort of reminds me of the movie Gung Ho, where it showed scenes like morning exercise:
https://youtu.be/h9jsnAD4aNw
Old June 5th, 2018, 03:30 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankfisher View Post
Bruce Sterling and William Gibson, for one, incorporate Japanese culture into the genre from the beginning. So does ‘Cyberpunk’ by R. Talsorian Games. Watch Blade Runner or Black Rain, too. You'll see it.
All of that in turn came from the real life paranoia of the Japanese economy surpassing the US economy. I did a research paper back in the day. The rate of growth was staggering and the media hyped it a lot. but it was going to take 40 yeas or so. Good think they bought all our crappy land at the end of the '80s