Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
Almost steampunk, there. Sounds interesting and fun.

More like atomicpunk -- 1940s and 1950s sci-fi that envisioned fission powered spaceships.

The jump drive is even better IMHO. It's a complext mass of gyroscopes that distorts time so that a ship can move faster than light by moving backwards through time while moving forwards through space (or some such technobabble). Anyhow, a ship IMTU has to expend reaction mass in FTL, which works out to the same 10% per jump number fuel expenditure in CT. (No dismountable fuel tanks, IMTU, though).

And the jump drive (called the "Mannschenn Drive" in Chandler's novels) is very user-unfriendly. It's mechanically complex and cranky (ships just fall back into normal spacetime while they repair a warped rotor or a burned out bearing). If you get too close to it, it will turn you inside-out, literally. Staring at it for long periods can induce a hypnotic effect (so engineers usually have a lifeline attached to the bulkhead). And when you initiate and come out of FTL, you may have flashes of prescience. (I like to mess with the PCs when that happens...) Mishaps can send you back in time and/or even to different universes.

MTU does not have reactionless drives. Drives are nuclear thermal rockets with unobtanium liners that allow incredibly high temperatures and much better performance than currently thought possible. (The fuel rods get coated with carbon deposits, especially with cheaper reaction mass like methane; the solution is to flush them with LOX. If the flushing system breaks down, someone has to don a rad suit and scrub the rods with a Brillo pad. Of course, this happens occasionally to my players...). Radiation poisoning is a real danger in space travel IMTU.

The Maneuver drives cost and displace the same as normal CT drives; the CT power plant fuel requirement is the reaction mass used in normal operations. MTU power plants are nuclear piles with fuel rods that last for years. The limiting factor is reaction mass--you have to have it to go anywhere at FTL. These assumptions let me use normal CT starship designs; just the operations are somewhat different.

The Manschenn drive is Chandler's design; the NTR maneuver drive is my own.

Last edited by tbeard1999; April 11th, 2008 at 03:45 PM..
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
More like atomicpunk -- 1940s and 1950s sci-fi that envisioned fission powered spaceships.
Tubepunk is the term I've seen tossed around - diesel punk for pre WWII.

And presumably atompunk too for the later 50's; and transistorpunk for the sixties, discopunk for the seventies, yuppiepunk for the eightys, Webpunk for the nineties; dualcorepunk for the uh ...oughties, and then futurepunk, I guess for after that.

Genres are confusing.

My Traveller, OD&D and obsessive game design Blog:

Crawdads and Dragons

Current development projects
Adventurer What if Original D&D was written for traveller !
Bricks and Basilisks: RPG Gaming with <ahem> modular and trademarked brick construction system minifigs !

I think the true measure of virtue is not how we treat people when they give us what we want,
but how we treat people when we are denied that.
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

casquilho Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
Tubepunk is the term I've seen tossed around - diesel punk for pre WWII.

And presumably atompunk too for the later 50's; and transistorpunk for the sixties, discopunk for the seventies, yuppiepunk for the eightys, Webpunk for the nineties; dualcorepunk for the uh ...oughties, and then futurepunk, I guess for after that.

Genres are confusing.
I think some folks spend too much time trying to create new buzz words.

Discopunk, the real punks would die to see that one.

Daniel